The Smiths gig mystery

Still ILL

I have just found out that the Smiths may have been due to play on Sunday 19th May 1985 at Polideportivo de Anoeta

This is the day after their Brilliant Madrid gig.

I cant find any trace of this gig on the 19th May. Obviously it didnt go ahead but I cannot find any details of this anywhere! Was this gig meant to be in Deportivo?

Is there anyone out there who may know what happened to this 'gig'

Thanks

Re: The Smiths gig mystery!

they played also in barcelona, or was 86?

btw , way to many european gigs in their history, they were focused on USA

Rumours around that time said Morrissey was scared to play on the mainland
of europe due to death letters/threatening, which I think is easy way to
avoid a whole lot of fans, or just a fairytale who went from funny to real

anyway I kick meself against the walls not seeing the Smiths live ever,
though I was at an age to see them

damn 1987

sorry going OT

:confused:

In May 1985 The Smiths played the following gigs:

May 14 - Rome Tendastrisce
May 16 - Barcelona Studio 54
May 18 - Madrid Paseo De Camoens

The 19th May gig is a mystery as it appears they were to play at San Sebastián Polideportivo de Anoeta. There is no record of this, hence me trying to find out what happened to the gig! It doesnt look like it went ahead but why was it cancelled? :squiffy:

Hmm thats interesting that you mentioned "Rumours around that time said Morrissey was scared to play on the mainland
of europe due to death letters/threatening" :eek:

Im also trying to find out the dates and venues of the gigs they played BEFORE The Ritz in 1982. :cool:

Im also trying to find out the dates and venues of the gigs they played BEFORE The Ritz in 1982. :cool:

Where are you looking for these dates?:confused:
Morrissey, Johnny, Mike & Dale have all said The Ritz was the first gig.... why do you feel there were prior dates?

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Hey Jukebox Jury,

I had always thought that The Ritz were their first gig until someone posted on this website last month that The Smiths actually played gigs before The Ritz but didnt post any details! :eek:

I'm trying to find out if this is true, and if so, then try and get the dates and venues!

Last edited:
Hey Phill,

I had always thought that The Ritz were their first gig until someone posted on this website last month that The Smiths actually played gigs before The Ritz but didnt post any details! :eek:

I'm trying to find out if this is true, and if so, then try and get the dates and venues!

Is this the bloke who says he saw them in Burnley and a few other places?
I think he said Andy was in the band, therefore the gigs couldn't have been before The Ritz as Dale's one and only gig was at The Ritz and Andy's first gig was (reportedly) the 2nd gig at Manhattan Sound.

Jukebox Jury

EDIT
If you do find out that the first gig was before The Ritz, I shall pay you handsomely NOT to report this news...... my books and tours will be ruined if this is the case:D

Last edited:
No problem Jukebox Jury, If I find anything I'll let you know!

Hmm, that guy said he saw Smiths in Burnley and other places......well, I dont think The Smiths ever played in Burnley since they started at the Ritz.

That guy is either telling porkies or The Smiths did play before The Ritz and Andy did travel around with the band but didnt play?? Interesting! :guitar:

Also found out that the Smiths were due to play in San Sebastian on 19th May 1985 but it was cancelled due to a rumour that Morrissey was depressed. I cant see any info about this gig on 'The Visual Documentary' or Passions Just Like Mine? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom