The Smiths A-Z: "Cemetry Gates"

One of those tracks that only The Smiths could have ever conjured. The airy, pleasant guitar chords juxtaposed with Morrissey's typically sardonic lyrics about death and plagiarism makes for one brilliant creation. Why it wasn't a single, I can't fathom.

Another beautifully craafted songs.
I thought the lyrics were inspired by his strolls with Linder around the graveyard, another awkward passion of Moz. And I love the fact that he wrote a song about it.

Morrissey's and Johnny's qualities come together perfectly on this one. It is, as others have said, the kind of song that only they could have written together.

Interesting that occasionally for the live shows Morrissey would revert to the "I'm well read" lyric that is printed on the inner sleeve of The Queen is Dead.

Just to show other viewpoints and not because they should be considered in any way definitive...

In the poll on this board this song ranked 20th from 73 of the group's songs.
In the poll on the Hoffman board this song ranked 8th from 73 of the group's songs.

I always hoped that "Some dizzy whore, eighteen hundred and four" was a reference to a real person/poem. Definite classic. Wikipedia and Genius both have interesting pages on it.

reason for the title as it is?

One of the most incriminating songs in the case of ‘the Smiths are a bunch of miserable poofs’. Twee as f***, lyrics about books and death, campy singing. Luckily, I’m on the defense team. I’d say it’s a gorgeous song, mixing sunny featherlight guitar pop with witty lyrics about the passing of time and trials and tribulations of the poet.
:rolleyes:

"TWEE AS F***":swear

:crazy:

its a 'twee song' according to nobody but myself:blushing:
but i disagree with the twee assessment by my own
self:crazy:

:hammer:

I am really enjoying reading peoples thoughts on these, its nice to see the "spam" type comment people seem to have been kept out

I think, for most of us, who are British/ Irish especially The Smiths are very much our story to a degree.
Thats not to say people from other countries, do not connect, its just not quite in the same way- in a way M stayed English right up until Quarry. Quarry onwards has been a more transatlantic approach.

By Queen Is Dead , as the title suggests, Smiths world was less queer, in someways. They had found their way. They were for keeps. They were now a serious concern. they were in their pomp ..They were in their imperial stage.

This song, like Heaven Kmows was Pure Smiths- Music, words , the world that was conjured. was as Smiths as you could get.
It's not my fav song but it makes me smile. and it means alot as reminds me of a time and place.
As I get older, this song makes me sad.
There was so much romance to being young and being into Smiths world.. for those of us that were poor. It was life itself. Alas, you can't live there forever or maybe you have to leave it, to return to it

Sadly. for M.. The world he created was so rich and beautiful. that he could never really escape it and he could rarely live up to it.

Sadly people didn't realise M was being dramatic and theatrical in part and they actually thought Morrissey never had sex, never had a drink and spent his life in a box bedroom , they missed the point somewhat

I am really enjoying reading peoples thoughts on these, its nice to see the "spam" type comment people seem to have been kept out

I think, for most of us, who are British/ Irish especially The Smiths are very much our story to a degree.
Thats not to say people from other countries, do not connect, its just not quite in the same way- in a way M stayed English right up until Quarry. Quarry onwards has been a more transatlantic approach.

By Queen Is Dead , as the title suggests, Smiths world was less queer, in someways. They had found their way. They were for keeps. They were now a serious concern. they were in their pomp ..They were in their imperial stage.

This song, like Heaven Kmows was Pure Smiths- Music, words , the world that was conjured. was as Smiths as you could get.
It's not my fav song but it makes me smile. and it means alot as reminds me of a time and place.
As I get older, this song makes me sad.
There was so much romance to being young and being into Smiths world.. for those of us that were poor. It was life itself. Alas, you can't live there forever or maybe you have to leave it, to return to it

Sadly. for M.. The world he created was so rich and beautiful. that he could never really escape it and he could rarely live up to it.

Sadly people didn't realise M was being dramatic and theatrical in part and they actually thought Morrissey never had sex, never had a drink and spent his life in a box bedroom , they missed the point somewhat
An incredible post. Thank you.

:rolleyes:

"TWEE AS F***":swear

:crazy:

its a 'twee song' according to nobody but myself:blushing:
but i disagree with the twee assessment by my own
self:crazy:

:hammer:
I know, it’s hard for some to keep two thoughts in the head at the same time, and even harder to understand someone else’s point of view. Go back to bed.

I like that the music is very happy and upbeat, but the subject matter obviously isn’t. It appears to me to be an homage to deceased poets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom