The Queens Is Dead was recorded at Jacobs Studios, Surrey

motorways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen_Is_Dead

Ok, I have to brag a bit. My band recorded at Jacobs Studios, Farnham, Surrey, UK where the majority of "The Queen Is Dead" was recorded.
I heard it mentioned when we were there (2004), but I just now confirmed it.

"The group recorded "Bigmouth Strikes Again" and "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" at RAK Studios in northwest London. After a brief tour, the group recorded and mixed the majority of the album at Jacobs Studios in Farnham, Surrey, during late 1985 and early 1986.[2]"

http://www.myspace.com/vaux Vaux - Beyond Virtue, Beyond Vice. The record was produced by Jacknife Lee (U2, Snow Patrol, Bloc Party, Editors) and mixed by Dave Sardy (Oasis, Barkmarket, Marilyn Manson.)
We did pretty well for a while there. this is the first and last time i will flaunt my own band here. enjoy.

Re: The Queens Is Dead Studio

So your brag is you were there 19 years after The Smiths then? Which means you were also there 19 years after Status Quo (who were there when Queen Is Dead were recorded - see previous discussion thread).

The story of The Smiths in Jacobs is well established and has been told many times before in various articles in mags like Mojo and Uncut and many of the Smiths biographies which tell you which particular songs they recorded there, much more detailed/reliable than wikipedia.

but did you also buy a george formby records in venus records, downing street too?:guitar:

i don't wanna be a dick, but listening to those tracks (espec ammunition, the great divide & van fong) you can tell dave sardy was involved -> the band's got a huge far(& matranga)-thing going. but yeah your band didn't do bad at all ...

yay for hc-kids.

i don't wanna be a dick, but listening to those tracks (espec ammunition, the great divide & van fong) you can tell dave sardy was involved -> the band's got a huge far(& matranga)-thing going. but yeah your band didn't do bad at all ...

yay for hc-kids.

You're not being a dick at all.
actually, of the songs on the myspace, Sardy only worked on Are You With Me and Van Fong. (Are You With Me's final mix was by Chris Lord Alge). It was an amazing experience working with Sardy.
Thanks for taking a listen.

well, i kinda know 'vaux' as a band ... i could be wrong but i think i've seen you guys play a few years back. i never really was into it, but mainly because i didn't give it a chance ... you guys are/were part of the thrice/getupkids/jimmyeatworld/atthedrivein/glassjaw-generation, and i remember your band being jocked by a lot of kids who were into the original emo-bands (quicksand, far, sensefield, sunnydayrealestate etc). so that says a lot i guess ... for me it was a bit too much far-influenced (and i'm more of an oldschool kid anyway), but listening to it now and giving it a fair chance, it's sounds pretty good and from what i remember vaux was a pretty tight live-band.

i was trying to point out the matranga-influence via the sardy-remark, but something got lost in translation, my bad. anyways, having matranga as an influence and being able to pull it off is pretty neat ... and yeah, i would brag with recording with sardy & at jacobs. :)

Just listening to the Oxford Apollo gig from March 1985... During Barbarism Begins at Home Morrissey sings "...the silly little things you said...ohhh the Queen Is Dead".

Just an observation lol :rolleyes:

Just listening to the Oxford Apollo gig from March 1985... During Barbarism Begins at Home Morrissey sings "...the silly little things you said...ohhh the Queen Is Dead".

Just an observation lol :rolleyes:

I'm just listening to that gig as well. Spooky.

"We're the other funny band from Manchester"

Dave

So your brag is you were there 19 years after The Smiths then? Which means you were also there 19 years after Status Quo (who were there when Queen Is Dead were recorded - see previous discussion thread).

The story of The Smiths in Jacobs is well established and has been told many times before in various articles in mags like Mojo and Uncut and many of the Smiths biographies which tell you which particular songs they recorded there, much more detailed/reliable than wikipedia.

Gosh, somebody got out the wrong side of the bed this morning, discovered an in-growing rectal hair then read motorways' post. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom