The PJ Harvey hunt topic NM

• Thread starter Morrissey the 23rd
  • Start date
M

Morrissey the 23rd

I have seen P J Harvey live and bought an album soon after I first saw her live. Her music is very god in my opinion. However I do have the right to protest against her barbaric fox hunting views. Being brought up in the country, hunt practises will be known to her. Sometimes being so close to something can desensitise you. Being brought up surrounded with people of a certain view will almost certainly influence you. I plan to face away from her during her performance. It's important that those against fox hunting should not disrupt her performance as this would only damage the image of animal liberation supporters and Morrissey apostles. A protest is in order and I would urge everyone attending to protest in a polite manner. Do protest.

For those that don't know what to think. Here is a little about the fox and the hunt and bits and bobs. Please take a few moments to read it:

The fox is at the top of it's food chain and has never naturally been hunted. It's survival depends upon the availability of food in it's territory.

If too many fox cubs are born then there will be too much competition for food, some mouths will not be fed and therefore mean then population is controlled by nature and is self regulating.

Remove a fox from a territory and another one will quickly take it's place, eager for the newly available food.

Foxes use scent for their main communication. The big bushy tail (brush) helps to spread this around! Some hunts people have claimed that the fox does not seem worried by the fact that he is being chased. This is because the fox is generally a solitary animal and unlike a herd animal, has no one to call out to and raise the alarm. He is still communicating with scent which only helps to make it easier for the hounds to follow him.

Hunting is not to control foxes, nor is it humane. There are many more practical an economical way to do so for a start. It is a cruel 'sport' from centuries ago. Hunting with hounds has no place in modern Britain. It should have ended years ago along with cockfighting, bear-baiting and dog-fighting.

Foxes never used to be the hunts target. It was once considered to be beneath their status to hunt "vermin". The lack of deer changed that.

It was once believed that foxes harboured the souls and spirits of good people who had died. It was considered that if you did a fox a good turn, good luck would come your way. How the times have changed!

During the late 19th century a shortage of foxes in England forced hunts to import foxes from France, Germany and Holland.

In fact, the Swedish Red Fox, which was known to be a larger animal than the one found in Britain, has been introduced to Britain to create the more substantial "European Red Fox" that we see in our towns and countryside today.

It is thought that the term "Hunting Pinks" refers to a London tailor named Pink who bought large quantities of material after the American War of Independence in 1783 and became popular for hunting attire. The Red coats worn by hunting officials are often called Scarlets or "Pinks".

The act of Blooding began with King James I. This was a ceremonial-like event involving the Huntsmaster smearing the blood of the quarry onto the cheeks of newly initiated hunt follower. To think this still happens today. Shh! It's best we don't speak about it. Townies don't understand.

The "Whip's Office" and the "Chief Whip" in Parliament come from the job of "Whipper-in" to the hounds

When animal cruelty is portrayed by some as a 'sport' to get pleasure from it debases society and promotes even more animal cruelty. It is not just foxes and other wildlife who suffer. Horses and dogs are also victims of hunting - viewed simply as 'sporting accessories' many sustain fatal injuries during the gruelling chase.

People of all social classes oppose hunting. They oppose it not out of class envy but because they can see it is a cruel and perverted pastime. It is, however, true that foxhunting has continued to this day purely as a result of the wealth and influential nature of the minority who partake in.

Hunting is the exercise of power over a vulnerable prey. This is the source of pleasure it provides for those whose own lives and self-image are inadequate. There is also the element of social bonding.

Every part of a fox hunt is cruel - from the chase, to the dig-out, to the kill. There is no 'quick nip to the back of the neck' in hunting. Lead hounds will snap at any part of the running fox, before the pack rip it to pieces. If the fox manages to go to ground, then it will be forced to fight with terriers for hours before being hauled out and, if lucky, shot.

The whole point of hunting is that the 'chase' lasts as long as possible. This is why the hounds are bred for stamina, not speed. There have also been numerous cases where hunts have provided artificial earth's to encourage foxes to breed to provide 'sport'.

The fox's diet of rabbits and rats actually makes it an asset to most farmers. If a fox does eat any livestock, it is dead or dying stock that they eat and usually only when old or sick and hungry. I have worked on many farms in many parts of the country. I know what is said in this debate and what the facts are. When I've debated this 'sport' with hunts people. The justification for the sport it is not to control foxes but, along the lines of 'a recreational and social force embodying a traditional rural pastime'. Belch! Most farmers don't care much either side of the debate. They let the hunt on their land and get a bottle of whiskey for doing so then quietly slang of the hunt to people outside the hunt circle. That's my experience.

If a fox manages to find refuge in an unblocked earth, the hunt employ terrier men who will put their terriers down the earth to force the fox into the open to be re-hunted, or attack the fox underground while the men dig down through the soil to catch the terrified animal. Once they have dug the fox out, the terrier men are supposed to shoot it, but many will simply give it a blow with a spade. It is not unusual (although against fox hunting 'rules') for the fox to be thrown alive to the waiting hounds.

The dictionary gives a definition of sabotage as 'to render useless' and that is precisely what hunt saboteurs aim to do - to render the hunt useless in their attempts to hunt down and kill wild animals.

Hunt saboteurs use non-violent direct action such as hunting horns and voice calls to try and gain control of the hounds. Scent maskers are also used to disguise the scent of the fox.

When it comes down to 'image' - seeing 30 plus people on horse back, in all their regalia, intent on hunting down and killing a terrified animal - we know who has the image problem! Hunt saboteurs may not have PR gurus working overtime for them like the Countryside Alliance, but their aims are sincere and the majority of the public know this.

"In my view there is nothing more disgusting than human beings killing animals for pleasure. It is degrading to human society and surely in particular degrades those involved. All those who believe in civilised behaviour should call for an end to blood sports".
Eric Heffer MP

"The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable". Wilde. On our side.

Thank you for reading this far and if you do attend the concert and P J Harvey is the support act. I will say again that it's important that those against fox hunting should not disrupt her performance as this would only damage the image of animal liberation supporters and Morrissey apostles. A protest is in order and I would urge everyone attending to protest in a polite manner. Do protest.

A pack of lies
dead.jpg

This from someone who begged us all to vote for a goose hunter last week! And...

And do you have any idea how many cheeseburgers your hero Michael Moron probably stuffs into his fat face every week?

Back
Top Bottom