The Origin Of Morrissey Dissent

I was reflecting on how there are more posts on this site from 'fans' who disparage Morrissey than there are those who support him.

It got me wondering as to what era this dissent started creeping in.

I know much of it is simply posted to counter balance the sycophants who then up their level of blind adoration in similar rebellion.

Before the internet's widespread adoption though, I remember fans at concerts and in fanzines starting to criticise the musical output during the Southpaw era.

Many had got tired of the Alain Whyte 'Unisong' where you knew what it sounded like before you heard it. Many fans yearned for Moz to seek a new songwriting foil as they'd been spoiled by Marr, Reilly and Street's output prior to that point.

It was also felt that Moz had stopped caring about the high standard of composition and lyric that had gained him his fame and following to begin with.

Interestingly, many now yearn for the return of Whyte, probably due to his era being the one in which they became a fan.

When did you start the process of turning from Moz worshipper into objective moderate or outright hater and what influenced you to do it?

I was reflecting on how there are more posts on this site from 'fans' who disparage Morrissey than there are those who support him.

I know much of it is simply posted to counter balance the sycophants who then up their level of blind adoration in similar rebellion.

Before the internet's widespread adoption though, I remember fans at concerts and in fanzines starting to criticise the musical output during the Southpaw era.

Many had got tired of the Alain Whyte 'Unisong' where you knew what it sounded like before you heard it. Many fans yearned for Moz to seek a new songwriting foil as they'd been spoiled by Marr, Reilly and Street's output prior to that point.

It was also felt that Moz had stopped caring about the high standard of composition and lyric that had gained him his fame and following to begin with.

Interestingly, many now yearn for the return of Whyte, probably due to his era being the one in which they became a fan.

When did you start the process of turning from Moz worshipper into objective moderate or outright hater and what influenced you to do it?
Good post.👍 I personally haven’t stopped liking Morrissey, the man or the music. Ok, he might not be banging out classics like Vauxhall anymore, but how many singers/bands really are as good as they once were, nearly 40 years in to their career?

If you look at virtually anybody, & had to list their absolute classic output, most of it would be loaded towards the start of their careers, with maybe the odd ‘modern’ classic in there. Oasis are a great example. Or The Stones, U2, Pet Shop Boys...the list goes on.

The only person I can think of who is still delivering output that is as good as, or better than their earlier stuff is Nick Cave in my opinion.

You’re right though, why come on a forum & keep banging on about how much you hate someone nowadays. It’s like being divorced & finding a forum to go on to slag off your ex all the time. Just stop listening. I guess the emotional connection people feel with Morrissey is higher than with a lot of artists, so maybe people feel particularly upset, but move on.

And anyway, what he says isn’t really that bad, in fact I think a lot of it is true. But in this current age of the permanently offended, you can’t say anything. Everything has to be ‘woke’. Just ask JK Rowling.

Ricky Gervais said recently, ‘just because someone is offended, doesn’t mean they’re right’.

I got mad at Moz when he was bashing Kylie Minogue, over a decade ago. I'd put him on a pedestal. That was a mistake. Now I see him as merely human. Capable of pettiness. So am I.

For me at least, the rot was nothing to do with the albums, but to do with the "All The Band Must Wear Outfits I Pick" era, and the lack of touring around Southpaw/Maladjusted in Europe (i.e. you either see him supporting Bowie, or you go to London). Though for me, the real dissent came around 2006-2007 when both Gary and Alain had been rotated out without a moments pause and where the 'band' became just became a bunch of mostly anonymous blokes with no individual personalities and no individual flavour in their writing. The band had collapsed into salaried employees.

What did he say about Kylie? I’ve never heard about that?

It annoys him that record companies put most of their effort into promoting vacuous pop songs by pretty people who say anodyne things - it annoyed Kylie as well but after failing to go Indie she accepted her fate.

Seems strange, seeing as he always makes a point of saying he doesn’t want awards.

But that might be because he knows he’ll never win them🤔

He would win them.

If he'd just ignore that the process is a tiny bit fraudulent...

It annoys him that record companies put most of their effort into promoting vacuous pop songs by pretty people who say anodyne things - it annoyed Kylie as well but after failing to go Indie she accepted her fate.
She did a great song with Nick Cave though. The problem with her indie phase was it wasn’t any good.

He would win them.

If he'd just ignore that the process is a tiny bit fraudulent...
I should have said he should win them, but never will. Imagine the BRITS giving him a lifetime achievement award!!

It just wouldn’t be a ‘woke’ thing to do. The snowflakes would melt!!

It bothered me because she's had a sensuous feminine courage I rarely see, that seems utterly natural to her, and because of that very talent, anything she'd achieve would be dismissed by most Morrissey fans, with Moz's approval obviously.

It bothered me because she's had a sensuous feminine courage I rarely see, that seems utterly natural to her, and because of that very talent, anything she'd achieve would be dismissed by most Morrissey fans, with Moz's approval obviously.
I’d never dismiss her, I think she’s pretty good. I’ve got ‘The Abbey Road Sessions’ album she did, she has a good voice. I certainly wouldn’t dismiss her because Morrissey did, that would be pathetic. And she’s utterly gorgeous, which doesn’t hurt (from my point of view!) Probably one of the best looking women I’ve ever seen actually. I’m not just reducing her to her looks, I’m just saying. Some women probably wouldn’t like that, but it’s not offensive.

And yeah, she does have courage, she beat cancer.👍

I should have said he should win them, but never will. Imagine the BRITS giving him a lifetime achievement award!!

It just wouldn’t be a ‘woke’ thing to do. The snowflakes would melt!!

They would if he turned up.

There's nothing remotely 'woke' about the BRITS.

I’d never dismiss her, I think she’s pretty good. I’ve got ‘The Abbey Road Sessions’ album she did, she has a good voice. I certainly wouldn’t dismiss her because Morrissey did, that would be pathetic. And she’s utterly gorgeous, which doesn’t hurt (from my point of view!) Probably one of the best looking women I’ve ever seen actually. I’m not just reducing her to her looks, I’m just saying. Some women probably wouldn’t like that, but it’s not offensive.

And yeah, she does have courage, she beat cancer.👍
She's really proud of her sexuality. With most women, it's just bravado, but Kylie's the real deal.

Back
Top Bottom