The Official General Election Thread

Brian Eno supports the Lib Dems.

posterphp.jpg

Thatchers Children... Just what is it about me that makes you feel sick?
Vote conservative and we can find out together, as a nation!
The Conservatives. Ad nauseum:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

I actually think the Lib Dems have a chance of getting in this election, partly because people seem to be so disillusioned with Labour and the Conservatives and partly because Clegg seemed to impress a lot of viewers of the televised debate. Whether or not their new-found popularity lasts until May the 6th is another matter, but I hope it does.

I actually think the Lib Dems have a chance of getting in this election, partly because people seem to be so disillusioned with Labour and the Conservatives and partly because Clegg seemed to impress a lot of viewers of the televised debate. Whether or not their new-found popularity lasts until May the 6th is another matter, but I hope it does.

A 20% swing to Lib Dem would give them a majority of 78. It's unlikely but not impossible.

A 20% swing to Lib Dem would give them a majority of 78. It's unlikely but not impossible.

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm...

A rather funny piece on Newsnight last night (from 21 mins http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s5wfq/Newsnight_19_04_2010/) had Micheal Crick going to Bournemouth West to show that the Lib Dem party machinery simply isn't strong enough to cope with this Clegg Bounce - there is virtually no Lib Dem activity taking place in this constituency, instead all party activits are being sent to the neighbourng Dorset Mid and Poole North constituency.

In the Dorest seat they are working to keep a sitting Lib Dem MP in their seat. In theory, Bournemouth West is Number 25 on the Lib Dem target list - only a 3% swing from Tory to Lib Dem needed to return a Lib Dem MP. The article showed no Lib Dem party machinery in Bournemouth, indeed the candidate looked like he put his name forward simply because no one else wanted to do it - he looks rather embarased about being a candidate, and I suspect he's petrified that he might become an MP. If the country does swing to Lib Dem (let's face it, it's got to be better than Tory) they will send to Westminster a load of well meaning, but ultimately half arsed numpties.

In 2005 Lib Dems returned 68 MP's to Westminster. To form a majority government a party would need to win 26 seats. If the party isn't geared up to win its 25th target, what hope is there for their 258th target seat...

The best the Lib Dems can hope for is to increase their number of MPs - maybe as many as 80? Then seek to be kingmaker in a coalition govt - it may be that they can get some of their policies included in the first Queen's Speech of the next parliament...

Just my thoughts. I'm rediscovering the political junkie within me that's been lost since 1997 :D

Dave

Just my thoughts. I'm rediscovering the political junkie within me that's been lost since 1997 :D

Dave

It's good innit? I really don't care who ends up forming the Government so long as it isn't Labour but even if it is Labour, it will still be following a proper election campaign for a change. It's been a one horse race for too long!

I agree with what you're saying about the LibDems but I actually think it couldn't matter in the least whose name is actually on the ballot paper. There's enough stupid people in the country who'll go 'Oh, Liberal Democrats, I saw them on t'telly, al vote for them'

And for once we're relying on them. :lbf:

(I also wouldn't expect much campaigning as far as the Tories & Liberals going against each other is concerned; they'll be eyeing up a coalition & won't want to take votes off each other in constituencies where it might mean Labour getting in through the back door.)

Last edited:
It's good innit? I really don't care who ends up forming the Government so long as it isn't Labour but even if it is Labour, it will still be following a proper election campaign for a change. It's been a one horse race for too long!

I agree with what you're saying about the LibDems but I actually think it couldn't matter in the least whose name is actually on the ballot paper. There's enough stupid people in the country who'll go 'Oh, Liberal Democrats, I saw them on t'telly, al vote for them'

(I also wouldn't expect much campaigning as far as the Tories & Liberals going against each other is concerned; they'll be eyeing up a coalition & won't want to take votes off each other in constituencies where it might mean Labour getting in through the back door.)

my pensioner neighbour's always moaning about "this f***in government".I asked him who hes voting for this time then,"well Ive always voted Labour,so..."

Last edited:
Yeah. Sadly, that 'stupid people' argument works both ways. And there's none more stupid than lifelong Labour voters.

well, unless a proper system of proportional representation is applied to UK elections - it'll always be a 2 horse race... and would you honestly prefer to have one of Thatchers disciples let loose on the country? Friedman/Murray/Monetarism/Thatcherism crippled the ordinary folk of this country - they brought us to our knees! (they liked to call us the underclass)

The Tories say they'd allow another open vote on fox hunting if retuned in the next election... for that reason alone i'd say it's immoral to vote for the Tory scum..:mad:

*sorry to Tory voters if i've offended you - i don't mean to, but they'll repeal animal cruelty legislation cause it's 'good for business'*:tears:

I've no idea how old you are EGD, but remember when pundits said that Labour would never win again? Throughout the 1980s it was "what's wrong with Labour?" "Why can't Labour Win?"

Labour might have been disapointing and not lived up to the (massive) expectations of 1997. But, take a look at their acheivements
  • introduction of national minimum wage and subsequent rise in the rate,
  • investment and improvements in NHS and education - I remember being at school under the Tories - temporary classrooms that were 40 years old, with no heating and leaky roof. I spent 2 years on an NHS waiting list to have a gromet fitted to cure glue ear - my nephew had the same op a few years ago, less than 3 months from GP referal...
  • SureStart - key intervention at such a crucial age for all children
  • Civil Partnerships - would the Tories ever have allow such a thing!
  • Peace in Northern Ireland
  • Devolved government in Wales and Scotland
  • Introduction of Gift Aid on Charitable giving
  • Fox hunting ban
  • Writing off developing world debt
  • Even free entry into most museums

I doubt that any of this would have been considered if the Tories had staed in power...

In terms of a Lib Con love in - I doubt it. The Lib Dems have a real Jekyl & Hyde issue that they cannot cure - a North/South split where they compete against Labour in the North and against the Tories in the South. It will be fascinating to see who they side with if it comes to it - I suspect that they will go with Labour - as long as Brown agrees to go speedily...

Dave

well, unless a proper system of proportional representation is applied to UK elections - it'll always be a 2 horse race... and would you honestly prefer to have one of Thatchers disciples let loose on the country? Friedman/Murray/Monetarism/Thatcherism crippled the ordinary folk of this country - they brought us to our knees! (they liked to call us the underclass)

The Tories say they'd allow another open vote on fox hunting if retuned in the next election... for that reason alone i'd say it's immoral to vote for the Tory scum..:mad:

*sorry to Tory voters if i've offended you - i don't mean to, but they'll repeal animal cruelty legislation cause it's 'good for business'*:tears:

We've GOT one of Thatcher's sons ALREADY. If you haven't read 'Thatcher & Sons' then you should.

I've no idea how old you are EGD, but remember when pundits said that Labour would never win again? Throughout the 1980s it was "what's wrong with Labour?" "Why can't Labour Win?"

Labour might have been disapointing and not lived up to the (massive) expectations of 1997. But, take a look at their acheivements
  • introduction of national minimum wage and subsequent rise in the rate,
  • investment and improvements in NHS and education - I remember being at school under the Tories - temporary classrooms that were 40 years old, with no heating and leaky roof. I spent 2 years on an NHS waiting list to have a gromet fitted to cure glue ear - my nephew had the same op a few years ago, less than 3 months from GP referal...
  • SureStart - key intervention at such a crucial age for all children
  • Civil Partnerships - would the Tories ever have allow such a thing!
  • Peace in Northern Ireland
  • Devolved government in Wales and Scotland
  • Introduction of Gift Aid on Charitable giving
  • Fox hunting ban
  • Writing off developing world debt
  • Even free entry into most museums

I doubt that any of this would have been considered if the Tories had staed in power...

In terms of a Lib Con love in - I doubt it. The Lib Dems have a real Jekyl & Hyde issue that they cannot cure - a North/South split where they compete against Labour in the North and against the Tories in the South. It will be fascinating to see who they side with if it comes to it - I suspect that they will go with Labour - as long as Brown agrees to go speedily...

Dave

I'm 28 so I don't really remember anyone saying 'Why can't Labour win?' although I am old enough to remember everyone saying they would win in 1992, right up to the point where Kinnock wandered onto the stage at Sheffield Arena.

To Labour's achievements:

Minimum wage? Great (lets put aside the argument that the minimum wage is used by many employers as a standard & not a minimum) but not if you're aged 21 or under & getting paid less wage for doing the same job as someone older. It's ageist in both directions. Young people get paid less for the same job, which is morally wrong, AND it's discourages employers from hiring older workers because they would have to pay more.

I've no experience of the NHS since before 1997 (except being born & one time when I cracked my head open) but I've not had any complaints since. So yes, I'll give Labour that one. I did however, go to school under a Tory Government & while I haven't been back since, I'd shudder to think what that school is like now.

While on education, lest we forget Labour introduced & increased tuition fees & while that wasn't the worst idea ever, it was the blanket introduction across ALL degree courses was monumentally stupid.
Also, Labour were & continue to force young people into further education whether they have the intelectual capacity to be there or not. They can't learn a trade thanks to half of Poland swanning over in 2004.

I'll give you the rest of the list except for Northern Ireland. Senator George Marshall is not in Labour & Mo Mowlam is dead, she was Old Labour.

I would probably have voted Labour in 1997, they had good ideas & big plans & good people but they never renationalised the railways; Tony Benn retired; Mo Mowlam, Robin Cook, Barbara Castle & Tony Banks are all dead and they haven't been replaced by decent people, they've been replaced by useless bastards.

I'm also convinced they'll be a Lib/Con love in as they both smell blood.

Ah but Eddie Izzard supports GB....

So, it would appear, that 2 Dr Who's support them - two. Both Peter Davidson and David Tenant on tonight's broadcast :thumb:

Dave

And Sean Pertwee - does that count as another doctor (once removed)?:thumb:

I watched The Deal the other night and it reminded me more than ever what it was like to know only a tory government for the first 19 years of my life and desperately waiting to be old enough to vote to get them out. i utterly respect other people opinions on this thread but I am convinced Labour is the only way to go.

Ironically after all this soul-searching I live in a ultra safe Labour seat so my vote is worthless anyhow....:rolleyes:

I watched The Deal the other night and it reminded me more than ever what it was like to know only a tory government for the first 19 years of my life and desperately waiting to be old enough to vote to get them out. i utterly respect other people opinions on this thread but I am convinced Labour is the only way to go.

I truly do not understand.

Tony Benn retired; Mo Mowlam, Robin Cook, Barbara Castle & Tony Banks are all dead and they haven't been replaced by decent people, they've been replaced by useless bastards.

The thing about those dead people is they didn't stay around long enough to be corrupted by power . Tony Benn is an arrogant twit.

The thing about those dead people is they didn't stay around long enough to be corrupted by power . Tony Benn is an arrogant twit.

Tony Benn was of the finest politicians this country has seen. Besides, an arrogant man would not name his son Hilary.

I truly do not understand.
I'm afraid I feel the same about your decision to support the Conservatives. That's democracy for you:)
We are different people, living in different places valuing different things - for me, the Tories offer nothing. Just be assured I am not voting Labour because my family always has or some other moronic reason....

Back
Top Bottom