Morrissey Central "THE NEXT DAY" (February 26, 2021)

0-7_wqtgbe.jpg
0-8_j9babz.jpg

:rolleyes:
FWD.

Related items:

Last edited:
Paul sold more, so as far as the league of popularity goes, Bowie doesn’t compare.

Popularity as success? If put that way, then yes, Morrissey is not as popular with the general public, which would be weird.

He is a peer of Bowie’s, in the sense of someone that has peculiar views and that expresses themselves in that unique way that they both do, and yet they still have achieved success.

Though, with Let Dance,etc Bowie did dumb down his art so he could join the league of popularity.

Guess it could be looked at that way.
Though Im sure most don’t know of the original photo (I didn’t) and so didn’t come to that conclusion.

Yeah I see where you’re coming from.

Though, in someways, Morrissey may still sometimes feel like he’s a teenager in Stretford, in his room, with his record collection. It’s difficult to let go and move on from everything.

Don’t know how many of these photoshopped photos he actually sees or knows that Sam is putting up on Central, but if he’s fine with it, then that’s his decision.

:thumb:

Agree he’s not a peer among them in the sense that he can’t dumb down his art and refuses to play the game just so he too can join the league of popularity as ‘success’.

But he’s in his own league, and more important an artist for it.
Are you under the assumption that your gape-mouthed slurping at the trough is superior to record and ticket sales, as a measure of success?

Trying to capitalize on the fact that David Bowie is on the record. Probably thought it was a "guaranteed number one!" See Paris and related threads.

Without Bowie there would be no New York Dolls and without artists like Bowie and Bolan and the Dolls there would be no Morrissey. Simple as that. Morrissey knows this, for all his carping at what Bowie became in the 80s. Bowie was drawn to artists like Morrissey because he represented what Bowie was in the beginning and what he always wanted to go back to, despite his superstardom - an outsider with a unique vision who made his life as much a part of his art as his lyrics.

Last edited:
Without Bowie there would be no New York Dolls and without artists like Bowie and Bolan and the Dolls there would be no Morrissey. Simple as that. Morrissey knows this, for all his carping at what Bowie became in the 80s. Bowie was drawn to artists like Morrissey because he represented what Bowie was in the beginning and what he always wanted to go back to, despite his superstardom - an outsider with a unique vision who made his life as much a part of his art as his lyrics.
About Bowie in the 80's, I loved Low and played it a lot. That was some of the best "new wave" ever. I liked others after but that is still my favorite.
When "Let's Dance" came out it was good to hear David Bowie on the radio all the time but I kind of felt like it was too commercial. Now I like it though and I feel like he had to do it because he'd almost gone broke and he needed the money, and to get on the radio at that time he was competing with a lot of music that sounded very synthetic. It was him, Tina Turner, ZZ Top, and those were the relatively good ones. You also had total crap like Huey Lewis and the News.
So he had to have that sound. But I think a lot of times when we don't like something new it's because it's not what we expected or wanted, and while "Let's Dance" will never be my favorite Bowie record it's not bad. And he did kind of go back to the margins after he'd made his millions off it.
I think he even did a Pepsi commercial. But you can't get mad at people for that. He had bills to pay like everyone else.
Bowie at the peak of his commercial success was still Bowie. Morrissey will never sell what David Bowie did and that's okay but he shouldn't worry about keeping other people from selling out stadiums and having number one records if they want to. Bowie didn't keep doing that and looking back on it it's almost like it was just as much an art project as anything else he did but this time part of it was getting on 80's FM and AM radio. He probably got tired of being outsold by Boy George.

Utterly creditworthy, from being visually sublime with The Smiths to this dry vomit his decent is complete. By the way the 7" had Bowie's name on the cover, that's why it sold in the numbers it did. How can something so hollow be called a victory?

About Bowie in the 80's, I loved Low and played it a lot. That was some of the best "new wave" ever. I liked others after but that is still my favorite.
When "Let's Dance" came out it was good to hear David Bowie on the radio all the time but I kind of felt like it was too commercial. Now I like it though and I feel like he had to do it because he'd almost gone broke and he needed the money, and to get on the radio at that time he was competing with a lot of music that sounded very synthetic. It was him, Tina Turner, ZZ Top, and those were the relatively good ones. You also had total crap like Huey Lewis and the News.
So he had to have that sound. But I think a lot of times when we don't like something new it's because it's not what we expected or wanted, and while "Let's Dance" will never be my favorite Bowie record it's not bad. And he did kind of go back to the margins after he'd made his millions off it.
I think he even did a Pepsi commercial. But you can't get mad at people for that. He had bills to pay like everyone else.
Bowie at the peak of his commercial success was still Bowie. Morrissey will never sell what David Bowie did and that's okay but he shouldn't worry about keeping other people from selling out stadiums and having number one records if they want to. Bowie didn't keep doing that and looking back on it it's almost like it was just as much an art project as anything else he did but this time part of it was getting on 80's FM and AM radio. He probably got tired of being outsold by Boy George.

I love 'Let's Dance' as a pop song. One of the great pop songs. Far from being my favourite Bowie track though.
Bowie played at being a superstar, just like he played at being Ziggy or The Thin White Duke. It was clearly a role that he was keen to ditch after a few years, killing it off with Tin Machine.

I love 'Let's Dance' as a pop song. One of the great pop songs.

I agree! A great pop song, pop tastefully done, powerful even. Even if the album was awful, it really was just those 3 songs ... Dance, China and Modern that are so great though. We could also include Under Pressure here.

But it didn’t last, and for me, it wasn’t really until Outside that Bowie stood up
again to take his place amongst the
great legendary weirdos of the music world.

Far from being my favourite Bowie track though.
Bowie played at being a superstar, just like he played at being Ziggy or The Thin White Duke.

Yes, I can see that, though this pop-Bowie character was the most detrimental to his health and sanity, or at least it didn’t help him to make the best artistic decisions.
It was clearly a role that he was keen to ditch after a few years, killing it off with Tin Machine.
well TM was a step in the right direction at least. But it took a while for him to walk again.

Trying to capitalize on the fact that David Bowie is on the record. Probably thought it was a "guaranteed number one!"

Oh yeah, sure.

And if it was about the money, I think Morrissey would have been wiser to put an original song on the flip to capitalize on Bowie’s name. No?

:cool:

Oh yeah, sure.

And if it was about the money, I think Morrissey would have been wiser to put an original song on the flip to capitalize on Bowie’s name. No?

:cool:

Imagine thinking that releasing a 7" with 2 cover songs on it in 2020 was about money.

Nobody I know irl buys 7". They don't even know they exist anymore.

😳
Fake C are you trying to take years OFF your older self? Low was in the 70s Fake C, nice try trying to run off from the old folk home.😤

So anything Bowie does is good. He has to pay bills he doesnt have to pay bills. You cant get mad at him for making commercial stuff or for making non commercial stuff. whats going on here in this psycho babble, what exactly is the point?
Is it that Bowie and everybody else can do as they please selling out themselves, but Moz you put in a different standard???? Moz tries to sell a postcard and its like the alarm in the microwave goes off.😤
(we know you aint got no car FC so microwave will have to do) Very poor psycho babble that once again fails.

Face it trolls::

NO 1 is NOW MOZ💪

why dont you psycho babble LePew so as to try to find
this missing imaginary 'new cd'. it takes a few minutes
to make a dumb comet song so there is no excuse for
this non existing new cd.(n)

Correct. All copies sold out. :)
let me ask the little 🐦 if there will
be a re print.......
little 🐦 says YES the demand is so extraordinary
there are plans for a reprint💪

I agree! A great pop song, pop tastefully done, powerful even. Even if the album was awful, it really was just those 3 songs ... Dance, China and Modern that are so great though. We could also include Under Pressure here.

But it didn’t last, and for me, it wasn’t really until Outside that Bowie stood up
again to take his place amongst the
great legendary weirdos of the music world.

Yes, I can see that, though this pop-Bowie character was the most detrimental to his health and sanity, or at least it didn’t help him to make the best artistic decisions.

well TM was a step in the right direction at least. But it took a while for him to walk again.

I agree - Outside was a real return to form. One of my favourite albums of the 90s.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom