The new cooking thread

ah I see. so it seems like it would be unnecessary to know the official names for things, as that would just create stock descriptions. far better to describe a scene using your imagination to liken things to something else. if you describe a chair as, for example, a 'mies van der rohe chair', that;s a little bland. no one cares about the name. they want to hear it described in a way that is evocative of something else, something that creates an atmosphere. that makes sense. I just need to get the vision right in my head, I guess. I know what i want the place to look like, and the feel that I want. I remember this editorial from w magazine back in 2004 or something like that, with liberty ross and stella tenant, and it was shot in this English country house that looked very white and airy and cool. it's that atmosphere that I want, and I really wish I had saved that editorial because I really need to see it again. I've tried looking online for it but to no avail. ah well.

anyways, thanks pep pep! very helpful as always!
Yes. A light touch. You don't want to end up sounding like Dan Brown :D https://onehundredpages.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/dont-make-fun-of-renowned-dan-brown/

you don't make a pie like that. im not a baker but I believe you have to like mash up the blueberries and shit.
I think that is a pre-baked pie. The crust looks raw and the blueberries are as well. Maybe the blueberries get all juicy and mushy once they bake in the oven for a while. That’s just my guess; I’m not a baker either.

I mainly posted the photo to show off the fancy top crust design. The crust is raw in the pic but will certainly be baked before serving. Maybe it was easier for people to figure out how to do the cuts before it cooks together more? The blueberries will macerate while they bake so I don’t see them being whole as a problem. Just a pretty, and intricate, pie crust design.

I mainly posted the photo to show off the fancy top crust design. The crust is raw in the pic but will certainly be baked before serving. Maybe it was easier for people to figure out how to do the cuts before it cooks together more? The blueberries will macerate while they bake so I don’t see them being whole as a problem. Just a pretty, and intricate, pie crust design.
When it comes to pies ordinary people just cannot make a decent one at home. To make any kind of pie like a pro you need a pro and tricks only they know.

Most pies look like pancakes.

When it comes to pies ordinary people just cannot make a decent one at home. To make any kind of pie like a pro you need a pro and tricks only they know.

Most pies look like pancakes.
What a preposterous thing to say. I think just about anyone is capable of making a perfect pie. One just needs the right tools. And quality ingredients. Nothing you make at home will be any good if you aren’t picky about what you use to prepare it.

What a preposterous thing to say. I think just about anyone is capable of making a perfect pie. One just needs the right tools. And quality ingredients. Nothing you make at home will be any good if you aren’t picky about what you use to prepare it.
Home made food is the most overrated and people assume they make things that are as good as what the pros make but from what I can see people who make their own food and that at home more often than not are suffering from a very weird kind of hubris.

The perfect products you buy in stores tells me you need to add all the things that people believe are bad for it to taste and look good.

Keep your pancakes.

Home made food is the most overrated and people assume they make things that are as good as what the pros make but from what I can see people who make their own food and that at home more often than not are suffering from a very weird kind of hubris.

The perfect products you buy in stores tells me you need to add all the things that people believe are bad for it to taste and look good.

Keep your pancakes.
Well, you’re wrong. But I also don’t expect to be inviting you any time soon to try my cooking so I’ll just have to be satisfied with knowing that you are, in fact, wrong. I’ve done catering, a number of times, for different events and my food was a huge hit. It was fresh, vegetarian and seasoned with lots of fresh herbs. I know it was a hit because I was asked for recipes from many different people. I wasn’t paid, so I’m not a professional. I volunteered my time and did it for non-profits in the area I care about. So once again, in summary, you’re wrong. <mic drop>

Well, you’re wrong. But I also don’t expect to be inviting you any time soon to try my cooking so I’ll just have to be satisfied with knowing that you are, in fact, wrong. I’ve done catering, a number of times, for different events and my food was a huge hit. It was fresh, vegetarian and seasoned with lots of fresh herbs. I know it was a hit because I was asked for recipes from many different people. I wasn’t paid, so I’m not a professional. I volunteered my time and did it for non-profits in the area I care about. So once again, in summary, you’re wrong. <mic drop>
I knew a woman whose career was catering and she was a real pro unlike you and your amateur catering excursions.

There will never be a home made cake that looks like one at a bakery and that goes for most things in my view. People are kidding themselves into believing they are great at food and bakery and more and I blame the food shows on tv who meant everyone out there believe they are great at it when they are not.

But pancakes are ok cause when they are in the gut no one cares what they looked like.

2 thirds white and 1 third wholewheat, loaf tin.

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_215709-744x992.jpg
    IMG_20190423_215709-744x992.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 0
And Dutch oven boule. Not sourdough.

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_215656-744x992.jpg
    IMG_20190423_215656-744x992.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 0
E00D60DF-0716-4EB4-93EB-B4B337E31FCA.jpeg

Going to a Swedish gathering today and needed to make a dessert to take. Started thinking about ice box cakes and uncovered this recipe from Kitchn for Lemon Cream and Coconut Ice Box Cupcakes. Super easy, look impressive and most importantly, taste amazing! I will definitely make these again.

2A95AEA2-FA79-4FEF-B2A7-34380820714A.jpeg

Lemon Cream & Coconut Icebox Cupcakes

makes 24 cupcakes

2 ounces cream cheese, very soft
2 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large lemons, zested and juiced (about 1/3 cup juice)
72 Nilla wafers (from 1 box)
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
24 raspberries, fresh or frozen and defrosted

Whip the cream cheese until very soft in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a large bowl and hand mixer). Gradually whip in the cream. When it has been smoothly combined with the cream cheese, add the powdered sugar, salt, and lemon zest (about 2 tablespoons). Whip until the cream forms firm peaks, then slowly beat in the lemon juice. Continue beating until completely combined. The cream should still hold soft peaks.

Place a Nilla wafer in a cupcake paper (I used regular-sized cupcake papers) or in a ramekin. Smear about a tablespoon of cream on top of the wafer. Smear cream on another wafer and put it on top, then repeat once more, for a total of three layers. Sprinkle coconut generously over the stack. Repeat until you’ve used up all the wafers and cream. Top each with one raspberry.

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until the stack has softened into a cakey texture.
617D6A92-5279-4A4F-A333-D723B443F2A4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom