The most beautiful Smiths songs

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
I don't know if there will be a number 20 to your list.
I can think of "Girlfriend in a coma", with the caveat that it isn't as powerful as the numbers 1 to 11 (and a few others) in your list above.
And the adjectives I would use to describe it are "endearing, tender", so not sure.
"Death of a disco dancer" as already mentioned elsewhere: it strikes me as bleak and harrowing, "Love, peace and harmony = very nice but maybe in the next world" being more of a philosophical reflection.
Yeah I know, but me being me, I like even numbers, balance in the universe, & all that kinda rubbish.
If I can't get to 20 then I'll just go listen to Jim Jim Falls off the Dog album. :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm thinking No.20 slot might go to Rubber Ring afterall...:unsure:

But don't forget the songs
That made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you're older now
And you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you

Lyrics clinch it, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but was it meant to be?

Oh, I think Moz put it as the album closer for a reason but I'm not sure he knew it was 'the end'. He later told Dave Fanning - "I knew Johnny wanted to work with other people but I imagined that need would be...temporary." So perhaps I'll see you somewhere, I'll see you sometime meant - Johnny will go and get his adventuring out of his system and then we'll be onto the next album. Who knows. Am I alone in thinking that a Moz/Marr reunion would have been practically nailed on if the court case had never happened? The court case killed it all.

Oh, I think Moz put it as the album closer for a reason but I'm not sure he knew it was 'the end'. He later told Dave Fanning - "I knew Johnny wanted to work with other people but I imagined that need would be...temporary." So perhaps I'll see you somewhere, I'll see you sometime meant - Johnny will go and get his adventuring out of his system and then we'll be onto the next album. Who knows. Am I alone in thinking that a Moz/Marr reunion would have been practically nailed on if the court case had never happened? The court case killed it all.

Yep, thanks a lot, Mike Joyce! Perhaps the one member who wants the reunion the most.

Yeah I know, but me being me, I like even numbers, balance in the universe, & all that kinda rubbish.
If I can't get to 20 then I'll just go listen to Jim Jim Falls off the Dog album. :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm thinking No.20 slot might go to Rubber Ring afterall...:unsure:

But don't forget the songs
That made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you're older now
And you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you

Lyrics clinch it, I think.

Yeah I am the same. I like lists with round numbers, top 10s or 20s or 100s.
Rubber Ring could be an apt closer of the list because the lyrics you just put up there sound like wise words to people at the end of the listening party, after all those years they still ring true.

I also think that the lyrics expressed his sentiments about the impending stop / pause n their artistic relationship, but as we know, there was certainly a wish on Morrissey's part to resume it at some point. Morrissey described the court case as the final nail on the Smiths coffin, a different court ruling with Morrissey and Marr winning the case could also have changed their fortunes. But once Morrissey has decided to pull up the bridges and withdraw into his fortress, he seems to find it very difficult to come back on his decision and to reconnect. Perhaps it is his self-sabotaging personality that prevents him from doing the things that are really good for him. He won't go back to Johnny Marr, Stephen Street or Alain Whyte (who is leaving the door open). I believe that the odds of a Morrissey / Maar reunion would have been higher in the absence of that damned court case, but still would not bet on it.

So, my final listing of the most beautiful Smiths songs looks like this (in no particular order):

1 Well I Wonder
2 I Know It's Over
3 There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
4 Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
5 Asleep
6 I Won't Share You
7 Unloveable
8 That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
9 This Night Has Opened My Eyes
10 Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
11 Half A Person
12 I Don't Owe You Anything
13 The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
14 Back To The Old House
15 Suffer Little Children
16 Stretch Out And Wait
17 Never Had No One Ever
18 Wonderful Woman
19 Reel Around The Fountain
20 Rubber Ring

I also think that the lyrics expressed his sentiments about the impending stop / pause n their artistic relationship, but as we know, there was certainly a wish on Morrissey's part to resume it at some point. Morrissey described the court case as the final nail on the Smiths coffin, a different court ruling with Morrissey and Marr winning the case could also have changed their fortunes. But once Morrissey has decided to pull up the bridges and withdraw into his fortress, he seems to find it very difficult to come back on his decision and to reconnect. Perhaps it is his self-sabotaging personality that prevents him from doing the things that are really good for him. He won't go back to Johnny Marr, Stephen Street or Alain Whyte (who is leaving the door open). I believe that the odds of a Morrissey / Maar reunion would have been higher in the absence of that damned court case, but still would not bet on it.

Yeah - and I think that was less to do with Joyce than with how angry and upset Moz became with Johnny for not defending him/them in the court case. "It takes courage to stand up to your legal bully-boys for the sake of mere loyalty, and Johnny did not have courage" (Autobio) / "He deserted me, and not for the first time." (Fanning interview).

Yeah - and I think that was less to do with Joyce than with how angry and upset Moz became with Johnny for not defending him/them in the court case. "It takes courage to stand up to your legal bully-boys for the sake of mere loyalty, and Johnny did not have courage" (Autobio) / "He deserted me, and not for the first time." (Fanning interview).

He did talk about them being their own world that nothing else could get at & the trial meant he was completely excluded. It might be too painful for him ever to go back, esp now.

Well it was Morrissey's fault for firing all their managers and then acting like an ass in court, after which Johnny said something like 'I might as well write out a check for a million dollars right now'.

Well it was Morrissey's fault for firing all their managers and then acting like an ass in court, after which Johnny said something like 'I might as well write out a check for a million dollars right now'.

Yup.

It was also my impression that Johnny, being the nice guy that he is, never questioned the court ruling, just paid his dues and moved on. Which obviously isn't Morrissey's nature. And when the verdict was reported in the press, it read as if Morrissey ALONE had lost the case. That was how it appeared on the front page of the NME in 1996. Johnny had quietly sneaked out. Which brings us to your quote from Autobiography.

Back
Top Bottom