The guardian blog on moz's "naked" inner sleeve

The cheap publicity stunt of his latest single artwork is even more unthinkably awful when seen as the opposite end of a career that began with a naked male image, on the cover of the Hand In Glove single, over 25 years ago. In choosing this image Morrissey forced young heterosexual males to buy a record with a sleeve featuring the silvery slip of a man's buttocks, which now sounds like an act of art terrorism compared to the cheap chuckles prompted by this new monstrosity.

You'd never guess it by the puritan outrage it has provoked in some.

"Because he is the type of man, like Ross Kemp, say, or Bob Hoskins, who gets physically hotter with age"
That is a terrible way to start an article. :p

Why the f*** is Paul Flynn posting a blog about this anyway? He's a bloody MP, he should be doing his job, not telling everyone his thoughts on pop music.

Paul Flynn (whoever he is) is obviously spitefully jealous of:

• Morrissey's quiff
  • Morrissey's friendly band of studly co-horts
  • Morrissey's freedom to have fun
  • Morrissey's record collection

And Dear Paul, Truman Capote (and the other icons you say that you never would have heard of without Moz) would approve of this low-brow in your estimation photo. Pop art. Do some research.

Last edited:
The whole thing comes across like it was written by a bitter queen's subject who has Not gotten hotter with age.

"Because he is the type of man, like Ross Kemp, say, or Bob Hoskins, who gets physically hotter with age"
That is a terrible way to start an article. :p

The guy seems to be a regular contributor to their music site. He reviewed the last Will Young album and gave it 4 stars out of 5. That's all you really need to know. He likes his men young, smooth, and incredibly bland. :D

commentators scientifically inclined ...

DaveSimpson 03 Feb 09, 4:31pm

What interests me is whether these images are computer generated shots of vinyl singles which have been Photoshopped onto photos of their naked bodies, or whether they were actually photographed like that. In which case how do the singles attach to the, er, members? By glue? And if so did the honourable members do the dishonourable job themselves, or were a team of record company lackeys on hand to glue/tape/staple the seven inchers to the, er, seven or less inchers? The nation must be told.

The article is really bad, starting with the title.
Latest sign of artistic decline :eek: decline? where?? has he heard his music, read the reviews, seen the live shows? I thought not :rolleyes:

also, LATEST? what were the earlier ones??

Anyway, I'm sure many were shocked when Hand in glove came out - now it's great but back then I'm sure it shocked a few. Well, (almost) naked 50 year olds are not supposed to be fashionable or acceptable - male 50 year olds, specially are bound to shock a few in today's word obsessed with perpetual youth and perfect bodies - it's very "punkish" of him to do something like this, plus he' s having a bit of fun, I'm sure :)

I must say I trully admire him for pushing the boundaries - let's face it - that pic is not going to help sell records, not was it intended - and it's an inner sleeve ffs :mad: It's morrissey as he's always been - unpredictable, unexpected, always challenging, always stepping on thin ice, but never compromising his art- and that's what this blog author and many people don't get ... and never will.

Last edited:
That Alex Needham bloke is a complete tosser, isn't he? Whenever I visit that site he seems to be making some sort of crass comment and/or abusing other posters that disagree with him. Apparently he's their Culture Editor too.

That Alex Needham bloke is a complete tosser, isn't he? Whenever I visit that site he seems to be making some sort of crass comment and/or abusing other posters that disagree with him. Apparently he's their Culture Editor too.

Good grief, another former NME tosser now got a job in Guardian?
Very sad to see a 6th form bully runs it.

paul_flynn.jpg

Hey Paul, your photo is ineptly shot against a white backdrop by a photographer who appears to have no concept of lighting, let alone the magnificent physical potential of the male face. Gosh, he couldn't even get all of your hair in the shot. Oh, wait.....

Perhaps you should have been more artfully posed, hanging in a tree like those young Sigur Ross boys ....

Or, even more artistically appealing, from one?

"(the fat one, shoved ingloriously to the back, is actually pursing his lips in beleaguered amusement in the selected frame)"

What a miserable prick.

"(the fat one, shoved ingloriously to the back, is actually pursing his lips in beleaguered amusement in the selected frame)"

What a miserable prick.

Sad isn´t it ? I know it's only a blog but one expected a little more inteligence from The Guardian's staff/colaborators.

Back
Top Bottom