The exclusive vinyl thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28602

In this thread you can share relevant information on your (latest) vinyl purchases, thefts, frauds, shopliftings, borrowings, etc.

Aside from the material side of the procurement processes, we'd highly welcome your knowledgable contributions to the increasingly esteemed Science of Vinyl, as well as philosophical and poetical thoughts concerning vinyl records.

Here is a video that shows you how to make your own counterfeit records at home, and then, maybe, who knows, even sell them...?

Last edited by a moderator:
k0.jpg

Here are some of my RSD 2020 purchases.

The Fully Loaded album by Southern California funk band Magnum I got for half the price, as I and also the shopowner misread the price sticker. I wouldnt have bought this album for 39.99. But the "3" on the sticker looked like a "1" somehow, so I got it for 19.99. I only noticed it at home.
And happy I was...
...first of all for the music, because this funk and soul album, originally released in 1974, is a real killer. There was a blue and a purple edition of this limited and remastered reissue, and I can only talk about the purple edition...
... which, secondly and unfortunately, is of very bad sound quality. One of the worst pressings I have ever listened to on my turntable. I am sorry to say that.

Is it the purple coloured vinyl? I can't say. Sometimes I would prefer a classic black vinyl record, especially when the colours of the vinyl and the label clash in such an unfavorable way, like in this case. Unless it was intentional.
k1.jpg

A black vinyl would have been classier and more fitting, I think. Plus, not sure what "remastering" is supposed to mean here.

Anyways, music is great, as I said.

The video is worth 14 mins of your attention:

Answer at 7:05

Two more production alternatives to the two already mentioned in the video above (at 13:08):

And:

Optimal Media Re-Vinyl

I am waiting to be Corona-tested soon.
In the meantime, here is a riddle:

b0.jpg

Who is that young gentleman?
Clue: Part of an RSD 2020 release.

Holy shit, this was painful. They had to insert the diagnostic dipstick into my nose and then shove it all down into my throat. There it was rotated and counter-rotated several times. Afterwards I thought my nose was bleeding, but it actually wasn't.

Anyways, here is another release that reached me from GB a couple of days ago. Havent listened to it yet completely as it needs one's full attention and a clear brain:

a0.jpg

Beautifully done.

Here's a bit of vinyl fun for ya.
I have a 3 sided single for the De La Soul 12 inch of Me, Myself And I.
They did what ya call a "parallel groove" mix, so dependin' where ya drop
the needle, it might play the Me, Myself And I (Oblapos Mix) or it might
play Brain Washed Follower.

This video highlights it at (1:20)...

Here's a bit of vinyl fun for ya.
I have a 3 sided single for the De La Soul 12 inch of Me, Myself And I.
They did what ya call a "parallel groove" mix, so dependin' where ya drop
the needle, it might play the Me, Myself And I (Oblapos Mix) or it might
play Brain Washed Follower.

This video highlights it at (1:20)...

Great song by De La Soul, man. Really appreciate it! My bro and I used to hop around in the living room like dorks to it.

Never heard of this "parallel groove" thing. It's like a secret or hidden musical message. Was the idea invented during the war or by the secret service?

But what happens when the grooves are no longer parallel on the vinyl's surface? Then the listener's gonna enter a NEW DIMENSION!
You won't get that far in the digitzed world.

b0.jpg

That's actually Holger Czukay at the age of 14.

Here is the back side of this photographic art work -

b1.jpg

- which is an extra to the 2x10" records triple gatefold RSD 2020 release called "A Full Circle".

It's a Groenland Record reissue of his early 1982 album "Full Circle" but focusses on only four songs from this album. On each side of the two 10" records there is only one song. So, it is indeed a nice-looking and handy collectors' item, I would say.

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

The cover is very appealing in its functionality and simplicity, like an industrial artefact. There is something playful and minimalistic in it, which can also be found in his music.

The four songs are all very different in their compositions and employment of sounds and instruments. Each one is unique. I like "Trench Warfare" best at the moment, mostly because of this one instrument that I cannot pin down. It sounds like a wooden stick tapping on a yoghurt pot of sorts, or a coconut. Is it an instrument or something produced by a synthesizer?

Great music altogether, if you enjoy exploring musical soundscapes without knowing what is waiting for you around the next corner. When listening to his songs, you understand, that studying composition - especially with someone renowned like Karlheinz Stockhausen - does not harm anybody, and benefits the individual artist's music production immensely, and also that of many more subsequent generations following in these footsteps.

Great song by De La Soul, man. Really appreciate it! My bro and I used to hop around in the living room like dorks to it.

Never heard of this "parallel groove" thing. It's like a secret or hidden musical message. Was the idea invented during the war or by the secret service?

But what happens when the grooves are no longer parallel on the vinyl's surface? Then the listener's gonna enter a NEW DIMENSION!
You won't get that far in the digitzed world.

From what I can figure, a groove can be recorded on top of a groove.
If ya plan on recordin' your own records, maybe ya can try it.

Here are examples of other records that have "parallel grooves"...

- One of the earliest examples of a three-track side was a 1901 Pre-Dog Victor A-821 Fortune Telling Record. This is a multi-Track disc with three recording tracks that go all the way through the record. It is titled "Fortune Telling Puzzle Record a song and two Fortunes, See if you can find them

- "Laura Scudder's Magic Record," a 1969 record produced by George Garabedian's Mark 56 Records and offered as a promotional give-away by Laura Scudder's Potato Chips. Each side contained three different songs that would play at random depending upon the drop of the needle.

- Henny Youngman's 128 Greatest Jokes, a 1980 Rhino Records LP, featured four-track mastering that allowed for a different random selection of Youngman's jokes to be heard each time the album was played. Rhino promoted the gimmick as "Trick-Track" recording.

- The LP You're the Guy I Want to Share My Money With (1981), featuring a "three-track" side: each track contained a different recording of the title song, alternately performed by Laurie Anderson, William S. Burroughs, or John Giorno.

- Jack White's album Lazaretto (2014) has a double groove featuring two unique intros to the same song, one acoustic and one electric.

From what I can figure, a groove can be recorded on top of a groove.
If ya plan on recordin' your own records, maybe ya can try it.
That's hard to imagine how one groove can be recorded on top of another one, Turkey, but I'll give it a try, okay?
I'm gonna record all grooves of SPG on top of another, you see, to save space and resources, and then I'm gonna sign the whole thing.
Have been practising the signature with the help of this invaluable vid for some time now. How does that grab ya?

When I'm done, I'm gonna auction it off online somewhere for a coppola hundred bucks.

Gaston: My Queen (orig. 1978)

7y - 2.jpg

Another great funk album of the 1970s by a disco funk septet from Atlanta, Georgia.

It's the first (limited to 1500 and numbered) vinyl reissue of the 1978 album so far.

All seven songs on the album are strong, just as with the above-mentioned Magnum album Fully Loaded. No shit on it, all killer.

The funky style comes along softer though, like a satisfied cat ready to watch an episode of Soul Train on TV, whereas the Magnum album has punch and bite and kicks ass.

Sound quality is super, all clear and immediate. That's what I expect for 38 euronies, folks.

Cover is well done. It's not one of those tacky high-gloss affairs that hurt the eye, but printed with a tasteful matt finish. Cover image is interesting too, probably showing the "My Queen" from the title, an insect-like and half-naked black female dominatrix from another planet who is ready to whip crack you into place, if you think you can project your (white) man's shit onto her. Think again, dud.

c2.jpg

The vinyl is black and the label in a nice-to-look-at earth-coloured design. A pleasure to the eye. You can't compare that with the Magnum Fully Loaded design. Something went wrong there (s.a.). This one made me smile immediately.

c0.jpg

A great RSD 2020 discovery. Super album.

That's hard to imagine how one groove can be recorded on top of another one, Turkey, but I'll give it a try, okay?
I'm gonna record all grooves of SPG on top of another, you see, to save space and resources, and then I'm gonna sign the whole thing.
Have been practising the signature with the help of this invaluable vid for some time now. How does that grab ya?

When I'm done, I'm gonna auction it off online somewhere for a couple o' hundred bucks.

This will be a great way to fund ya vinyl addiction.
Another idea could be to make a signed "parallel groove" record, usin' this song...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom