The exclusive vinyl thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
In the Bona Drag thread
It’s the exact same copy that appeared on mporium also .
Not sure why you don’t seem to believe this.
I am a sceptic, not a believer, don't take it personally. I can't find this post. The official release date of the GSA version is claimed to be Sep 10 on discogs and jpc. You say it has been out earlier than the UK version, which was released in July. I can't find any evidence for that. Maybe it was an unofficial pre-release?

It's a very peaceful Saturday morning, drizzly weather, fresh air, and quiet too, so I went to the open-air flea market this morning.

I was surprised to notice that the majority of people there looked healthy and sprightly, i.e. healthier than a coppola years back, in pre-corona times. Plus, most of the stuff that was sold, wasn't just crappy squalid shit, found in old or dead family members' basements and garages; an army of joyful mothers was trying to sell scrapped baby clothes with stains and plastic toys too.

There were quite a lot of vinyl sellers, and one of them actually sold tasteful quality records.

Surprisingly, I had ended up at his stall first, after having squeezed myself through some bushes and through the barrier tapes surrounding the area, since I couldn't really be bothered spending valuable time looking for the official entry.

So, by accident as I said, the first stall I ran into was this vinyl seller. After a few minutes I had found a Roxy Music album, Sun Ra and Eric Grant and His Casa Montego Orchestra. Will post a photo later. All prices were fair, which was even more surprising, and also pleasant for a change. So, I decided not to haggle just for the sake of haggling.

As I said, the other vinyl sellers couldn't really offer anything of interest to me, but I was lucky enough to get rid of two albums that I had found in my mother's basement, the Best Of Bill Hayley and a Mireille Mathieu record of obscure origin. The Bill Haley rec I sold for one euro to a Turkish guy. Mireille Matthieu I gave away to a seller who was sitting kinda morosely under a plastic sheeting trying to avoid the drizzle, cigarette hanging from a stubbly face. I could immediately see that he must have lost his dog recently. I asked him if he would do me a great favour and take this record coz I didn't want to throw it away or drive the long way to the toxic waste dump. He complied and told me that he would gladly add it to his huge Mireille Matthieu collection, which I thought was quite funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
w1.jpg

I was listening to all three albums this weekend.

The Eric Grant album "Cool At the Casa Montego" on Dub Store Records is a 2012 Japanese reissue of a 1960 Jamaican recording. Eric Grant and his Orchestra were a resident band at the Casa Montego Hotel in Montego Bay. They played easy to digest, unobtrusive background music of the jazzy type with some sweet calypso and merengue melodies. I enjoy this sort of music, especially when the band knows how to play together smoothly so that people's converstations can keep on going casually and spiritedly, the drinks flowing, without any awkward silences.

The Sun Ra Arkestra release is a UK reissue for the American Jazz Classics series on Black Lion records and was first released in 1971. "Pictures of Infinity" is based on a bunch of late 1960s compositions, all in avantgarde free jazz fashion. "Outer Spaceways Incorporated" is my favorite in this collection. I have to watch the movie "Space is the Place" from 1974 for which the song was written. It seems to portray a world that has vanished without a trace from our planet long ago, unfortunately.

rm0.jpg

Sometimes we are missing listening to certain albums without being aware of it, sometimes for many decades, until we rediscover them one day, all gobsmacked ...😲. This one popped up suddenly at the surface of my mind, while I was visiting the local flea market last weekend. I got it for €4 out of a spare parts box which was filled up to the brim with mostly tasteless 80s shit. Amidst the deadly dullness, this 1980 German first pressing of Roxy Music's 7th album "Flesh+Blood" on Polydor, was still sending out a warm glow and heartbeat, so I couldn't resist.

The sound isn't good, lacking lustre, but what do you expect from a mass produced hit album of the 80s? Plus, it is 41 years old now and hasn't been washed yet.

But what can I say, when I heard the beginning of the first song, a cover of Wilson Pickett's "Midnight Hour", a shiver was reaching down from my ears to my shoulders, reconnecting to my brain and heartbeat.

I am not sure if this song intro has ever been praised by any critic, but to my ears, it is among the top 10 best beginnings of a pop song ever. It is even better than the original. There is perfection in the way the different parts are merging into one another, smoothly launching Bryan Ferry's voice, which is in love with the song. Btw, I am pretty sure that the very first note of this cover version is also used on Alsatian Cousin.

That said, I am very surprised about the luke warm reviews the album received, but critics at that time simply didn't want to give the band a second chance after Eno's leaving, which probably would have felt like cheating. It contains four hit singles. "In the Midnight Hour" was only released for the US market. "Over You" is the only song I don't care much about. There are also some duds on the B-side, but "Same Old Scene" with its underlying ELO-like disco beat can still get grandma Peterson out of her armchair. "Flesh + Blood", the title song, is a hidden gem.

There is also a Byrd's cover of "Eight Miles High" on the B-side.

All in all, a great find and rediscovery. I'm gonna try to find an upgrade to this album. There is a 2020 release on Virgin. Not sure though, if it has also been remastered by Abbey Studios, just like the 2017 half-speed mastering rerelease, which I want to avoid for good reasons.

The folks are queuing in front of huge buildings, there is a red cross, it is clotted with blood. I can see that they want to protect their hearts from those who have always been after their hearts, and eventually will succeed. As everything goes into splinters, their bodies crumble onto the streets in front of each others' eyes. Those who are not crumbling will quickly collect the remaining organs which are lying around, preferably the hearts. But what is left in their juice extractors, is a pile of shards.
3 - Kopie.jpg

I was watching Werner Herzog's Heart of Glass again today, after the soundtrack by Popol Vuh had fallen into my hands by mere chance last week. A miracle indeed. I feel like the 19th century Bavarian prophet Hiasl now, who can see into the realm of the dead. It's a 1977 German press on the multicolored brain label. Cover is in awful condition, but the vinyl itself is still mint. Unfortunately, my fav song from the film, "Oh, how close is the path leading downwards" is not on the album, but can be found on Popol Vuh's "Last days, last nights" from 1976 instead. A mesmerizing, reflexive and atmospheric soundtrack with a hypnotic effect. There are some strong medieval but also Indian influences.

I was listening to the B-Side non-stop yesterday...
t0.jpg

Perfect music for when you are grieving though nobody has died yet. It's all about preparing for the moment. And in this moment, there is no difference between the music and the mind, both perfectly in unison.

Glow in the Dark on the B-Side has a great trumpet (Leron Thomas) and Moog Syntheziser (Kenny Ruby). That's the 2019 European release in Blue Sea Vinyl on Caroline International and Loma Vista.

At the moment, I am listening to the A-Side which is a bit chirpier than the B-Side.

It was rainy and cold this morning at 7:30 when I rode my bike to the flea market. In my bag, 15 unwanted records mostly from my mother's basement that I wanted to dispose of.
y0.JPG

Due to the rain, I was told, not many sellers would be there that early. And those who were already there, were cursing and trying to cover their junk goods with plastic covers, or, just let them have a good cold shower, and why not, like the seller of the Peggy March 7" titled "Keep your dollars for yourself". I followed the advice.

y1 (1).JPG

There is a slightly anti-American sentiment resonating in this song from 1967 and could've only been expressed by an American singer at that time. When it comes to Peggy March, I have always quite liked "Mit 17 hat man noch Träume" (At 17 you still have dreams).

Nice, to rediscover the song on Youtube, and interesting too, if you keep in mind that 1917 was the year in which Russia had two revolutions and afterwards withdrew from the WW1 Entente, which allowed Germany to start their Spring offensive in 1918, which after all couldn't change the course of events, as we all know, and that's were the real sentiments of this coded song can be located, in my opinion. Did Peggy March have a clue?

I had prepared myself mentally for being disappointed, because the last time I went to this flea market some weeks ago, I immediately stumbled into a vinyl seller who very obviously had a taste in music and was also selling quality stuff. So, this had been a totally unexpected surprise back then, and yes, he wasn't there today. These things only happen once in life and then leave an empty spot.

So, I was wandering from seller to seller several times, getting colder and colder, and older and older. There was a cute lil doggy in a buggy...

y1 (3).JPG

... and a stuffed buzzard on a chandelier, which made me doubt mankind's sanity again.

y1 (2).JPG

Anyways, I was able to sell 9 of the 15 records to a seller who didn't seem to have any musical knowledge at all, which made me wonder why people spend their weekends on flea markets, sitting behind a table covered with trash. Many of them, I would say, just enjoy getting out and meeting the same ole folks over and over again. Others, maybe, need an "occupation" which qualifies them to receive social services. I am not sure. But I am sure that the vendor who had the Bill Haley Best of record on offer, which I had sold for 1 € to a Turkish guy on my first visit, and which was now offered for € 4, couldn't tell the difference between Queen and Bon Jovi.

I left the flea market frozen and wet to the marrow, bought a chocolate cake at the supermarket and rode back home.

I was washing and scrubbing some vinyl today...

p0 - Kopie.JPG

Some Smiths Maxi 12 inchers first.

p1 - Kopie.JPG

Listening to Boy with a Thorn on this 1985 Japanese pressing in Mint condition gave me the goosebumps. Makes you wanna throw away all your vinyl and go audiophile, even though, of course, this is not an audiophile release.

p2 - Kopie.JPG

Contains 4 Songs and is called a Mini-Album. The sound of this recording is something. It is spacious and clear, sometimes the clarity is drifting off a bit too much into a clattering crash, but it is always rescued by the overall momentum of the music lifting you up again. Won-der-ful!

By far one if not number one of my fav Smiths songs. That's why I got it. I am not a collector, but you wanna listen to your fav songs in the best quality possible. With this song, the Smiths were tapping at heaven's door. Musically, everythings is perfectly interlaced, voices, instruments and melodies, in cumulative harmony.

p3 - Kopie.JPG

And, as i had almost expected, the Teldec 45 12" Maxi of Ask is sounding even better than the Japanese pressing of Boy with Thorn.

q0 - Kopie.JPG

Last weekend I bought two albums for 3€ at a garage sale out there in the middle of nowhere, Duke Ellington&John Coltrane and a Best of from the Everly Brothers.

Maybe I get around cleaning them today because they really are a mess.

bv1 - Kopie.jpg

I restored this 1982 album today, which I had bought at a garage sale for € 1,50 last weekend, all accidentially, coz I was an on my way back home from a longer trip to the east, and in a hurry, when suddenly, in the middle of a thick forest, a derelict half-timbered house popped up on the side of the road.

This whole place was a mess, a mouldy and damp scrapheap; the house, the junk on offer, and the decidedly modest seller who was sitting on an oversized leather armchair observing everyone closely who stopped their car to take a look around.

I only later found out that this place is known for several unsolved murder cases. There was one gawky guy who was following me all around, trying to engage me in a conversation about the Beatles and Rolling Stones, which did not only make me feel all tired but also irritated, because whenever I flipped through a bunch of albums and stopped to take a closer look, he would suddenly tear the album out of the crate and comment on it, "Now that's a good one", "Lookee here, holy baloney!", "Great find!", etc. I told him with the most brutal voice I am capable of that the Beatles and Rolling Stones are the most tedious, outmoded, overplayed on the radio, and also totally overrated bands of all time, and wasn't that just the greatest shit album he was holding in his hand. I was only partly successful, but he stopped talking to me.

The seller had a vicious smile on his face when he said, "3 for both".

Anyways, I made it back home in one piece, and today I deep-cleaned this album and one Best of album from the Everly Brothers, which was in even worse shape.

I had to use a desinfectant to clean the cover, but now it is shining like new.

It's a UK reissue on the Jasmine label, which is known for licensed jazz releases from the 50s and 60s. Still releasing vintage music today.

bv2 - Kopie.jpg

They started their business in 1982, and this was their fourth release. The licence they got from MCA Records, it seems.

According to Discogs, there are 120 versions of this album, the most recent a 2022 audiophile reissue for the Acoustic Sounds Series.

But folks, let me tell ya, this release on Jasmine is just awesome, The sound is spacious and warm, and the light crackle accompanying the music is exactly what you want from a vinyl record. It sounds as if it is part of the music.

The vinyl had a few fingerprints on it and one scratch on the A-side, but nothing that would disturb the glamour of the recording.

I think that now that I have taken care of this record, I could easily sell it for 20 €, which I won't do, coz the music is still alive, even sprightly at times, as if it has just awoken from a long slumber.

Not sure, what people think about the Jasmine label, but this release and accidental find is a big surprise.

bv3 - Kopie.jpg

The rest of the albums on offer were mostly tasteless Best Of albums in poor condition, some of their jackets were even glued together by the mold, so I left this place as fast as I could.

View attachment 80143

I restored this 1982 album today, which I had bought at a garage sale for € 1,50 last weekend, all accidentially, coz I was an on my way back home from a longer trip to the east, and in a hurry, when suddenly, in the middle of a thick forest, a derelict half-timbered house popped up on the side of the road.

This whole place was a mess, a mouldy and damp scrapheap; the house, the junk on offer, and the decidedly modest seller who was sitting on an oversized leather armchair observing everyone closely who stopped their car to take a look around.

I only later found out that this place is known for several unsolved murder cases. There was one gawky guy who was following me all around, trying to engage me in a conversation about the Beatles and Rolling Stones, which did not only make me feel all tired but also irritated, because whenever I flipped through a bunch of albums and stopped to take a closer look, he would suddenly tear the album out of the crate and comment on it, "Now that's a good one", "Lookee here, holy baloney!", "Great find!", etc. I told him with the most brutal voice I am capable of that the Beatles and Rolling Stones are the most tedious, outmoded, overplayed on the radio, and also totally overrated bands of all time, and wasn't that just the greatest shit album he was holding in his hand. I was only partly successful, but he stopped talking to me.

The seller had a vicious smile on his face when he said, "3 for both".

Anyways, I made it back home in one piece, and today I deep-cleaned this album and one Best of album from the Everly Brothers, which was in even worse shape.

I had to use a desinfectant to clean the cover, but now it is shining like new.

It's a UK reissue on the Jasmine label, which is known for licensed jazz releases from the 50s and 60s. Still releasing vintage music today.

View attachment 80144

They started their business in 1982, and this was their fourth release. The licence they got from MCA Records, it seems.

According to Discogs, there are 120 versions of this album, the most recent a 2022 audiophile reissue for the Acoustic Sounds Series.

But folks, let me tell ya, this release on Jasmine is just awesome, The sound is spacious and warm, and the light crackle accompanying the music is exactly what you want from a vinyl record. It sounds as if it is part of the music.

The vinyl had a few fingerprints on it and one scratch on the A-side, but nothing that would disturb the glamour of the recording.

I think that now that I have taken care of this record, I could easily sell it for 20 €, which I won't do, coz the music is still alive, even sprightly at times, as if it has just awoken from a long slumber.

Not sure, what people think about the Jasmine label, but this release and accidental find is a big surprise.

View attachment 80145

The rest of the albums on offer were mostly tasteless Best Of albums in poor condition, some of their jackets were even glued together by the mold, so I left this place as fast as I could.
My goodness... it’s sounds as tho
You’ve stumbled upon Vegan
Cro creek 😱😱😱

I’m pleased you made it out alive 🙏

My goodness... it’s sounds as tho
You’ve stumbled upon Vegan
Cro creek 😱😱😱

I’m pleased you made it out alive 🙏
Thanks, Carlisle. Sometimes, in hindsight, we just wonder how we could survive such situations. The new car helped.

Thanks, Carlisle. Sometimes, in hindsight, we just wonder how we could survive such situations. The new car helped.
Looks like you dodged a bullet 🔫
Did you get anything fancy ?

View attachment 76722

I was listening to all three albums this weekend.

The Eric Grant album "Cool At the Casa Montego" on Dub Store Records is a 2012 Japanese reissue of a 1960 Jamaican recording. Eric Grant and his Orchestra were a resident band at the Casa Montego Hotel in Montego Bay. They played easy to digest, unobtrusive background music of the jazzy type with some sweet calypso and merengue melodies. I enjoy this sort of music, especially when the band knows how to play together smoothly so that people's converstations can keep on going casually and spiritedly, the drinks flowing, without any awkward silences.

The Sun Ra Arkestra release is a UK reissue for the American Jazz Classics series on Black Lion records and was first released in 1971. "Pictures of Infinity" is based on a bunch of late 1960s compositions, all in avantgarde free jazz fashion. "Outer Spaceways Incorporated" is my favorite in this collection. I have to watch the movie "Space is the Place" from 1974 for which the song was written. It seems to portray a world that has vanished without a trace from our planet long ago, unfortunately.

roxys flesh and blood is an outstanding album,same old scene,over you,my only love,oh yeah,i could go on.

Back
Top Bottom