The brand new Morrissey album; what (exactly) do we know about it?

Maurice E

Thought it might be handy to have a thread which brings together all the scraps of info about the new album.

I've gleaned a few things in recent months. To wit;
Since ROTT, we've become aware of 17 new songs (I think). 12 on the Warner Chapell site, the two new ones on Greatest Hits, two previewed live ('One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell' and 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris'), and the near-legendary 'Children in Pieces' (which has been known about, musically at least, since the ROTT era).

The 12 Warner Chapell songs were written by Alain Whyte, 'All You Need Is Me' by Tobias, the others by Boz (not sure about Children in Pieces).

The new single has 'Children in Pieces' and 'My Dearest Love' (one of the 12 new Moz/Whyte Warner Chapell songs) on the b-sides.

This leaves 13 unreleased songs for the new album (plus b-sides), four of which we've heard live (Squeezing my Skull, Mama, Paris, and One Day Goodbye). 11 are Morrissey/Whyte and 2 are Morrissey/Boorer.

All of the new songs were produced by Finn with additional production (on at least two) by Gustavo Santaolalla (he of the 'cosmic tango vibe').

The new album is due in autumn (possibly September).
That's pretty much all I'm aware of but may well have got my facts confused!
Any corrections/additional info etc appreciated.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Very smart summation. Thank you kindly Mr.E.
Only detail I can add is that according to the listing for the new single on the German Amazon site 'Children In Pieces' is a Morrissey/Tobias composition:
All You Need Is Me/Children in Pieces [Single] [Maxi]
von Morrissey (Künstler, Komponist), Tobias (Komponist)
Although I do not spracken ze lingo even I, thick as I am, have to assume 'Komponist' means composer.
And I really do hope that Kunstler means singer!
Kind regards,
joe.

I find it strange that "Children In Pieces" is not showing up on any of the songwriting databases, with less than two weeks to release.

Peter

There's also this: http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=83945

What Roger Manning said about his work on the new album.

Ah yes, well remembered. I've c and p'd the text below. I think the drummer or bassist also had an internet diary where he recently talked about having just recorded a relatively new song which none of them knew that well, making it more of a challenge. Ah, all these little clues. Exciting times ahead!
_ _ _ _

Producer Jerry Finn and I have had a long fun filled history together in Punk Pop heaven with group's like Blink 182 and found ourselves both being invited back for our second Morrissey album. I think fans will be pleasantly surprised by this new solo offering. It was all tracked live which added a great punk, garage, DIY urgency to the tracks. I am so used to recording keyboards in the more traditional overdub scenario that being asked to invent parts "on the fly" and track with the band while Morrissey sang live was a very refreshing and challenging experience.

It was all tracked live which added a great punk, garage, DIY urgency to the tracks. I am so used to recording keyboards in the more traditional overdub scenario that being asked to invent parts "on the fly" and track with the band while Morrissey sang live was a very refreshing and challenging experience.

But Mozza hasn't sung all of the new songs live...and apparently the album's already finished. :confused: :confused:

Also, I've always wondered why Roger Manning never became Mozza's live keyboardist; I mean of course I love Mikey, but after Mikey left, having someone who knew what he was doing like Manning would have been ideal. I know he's a studio musician, but there's got to be a reason for turning down playing live with Mozza!!

Personally, though, I'd suggest either Constance Demby or Dave Formula as studio/live keyboardists for Moz :D

But Mozza hasn't sung all of the new songs live...and apparently the album's already finished. :confused: :confused:

Also, I've always wondered why Roger Manning never became Mozza's live keyboardist; I mean of course I love Mikey, but after Mikey left, having someone who knew what he was doing like Manning would have been ideal. I know he's a studio musician, but there's got to be a reason for turning down playing live with Mozza!!

Personally, though, I'd suggest either Constance Demby or Dave Formula as studio/live keyboardists for Moz :D

when he says it was 'tracked live', it doesn't mean at a live concert. just that the band and Moz were all their performing together in the studio, rather than recording their parts separately (as often happens)...

when he says it was 'tracked live', it doesn't mean at a live concert. just that the band and Moz were all their performing together in the studio, rather than recording their parts separately (as often happens)...

Ah, I see now. Thanks for clearing that up! :o
Being a solo artist, I've never had the privilege to track things live, because I am never alone with one instrument :D

There was also the rumor (maybe it was a joke) of a possible album title:

"Don't Shoot the Messenger"

I'm hoping it's true. :D

^ ^

Someone posted it right here, on this forum (Unfortunately, I cannot recall which thread). There was also another title, which escapes me at the moment.

There was also the rumor (maybe it was a joke) of a possible album title:

"Don't Shoot the Messenger"

I'm hoping it's true. :D

I'm not. It is the opposite of intriguing.
And frankly, it reminds me of Elton John's "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player." Bring me the head of Elton John...

I'm not. It is the opposite of intriguing.
And frankly, it reminds me of Elton John's "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player." Bring me the head of Elton John...

I find it rather droll (although I didn't even think of the Elton John title - that kinda of takes the fun out of it).

Good thread -- interesting and practical.

Maybe one of the song titles will serve as the album title (which hasn't been done since Maladjusted). Which title that we currently know of would make a good candidate?

But in the spirit of recycling, I wouldn't mind "Education in Reverse"

Years of Refusal track-listing question

So, are these the candidates for the new album that we know of?

Action Man (Morrissey/Whyte)
Teresa, Teresa (Morrissey/Whyte)
When I Was Young (Morrissey/Whyte)
When Last I Spoke To Carol (Morrissey/Whyte)
You Were Good In Your Time (Morrissey/Whyte)
Because Of My Poor Education (Morrissey/Whyte)
I Was Bully, Do Not Forget Me (Morrissey/Whyte)
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore (Morrissey/Whyte)
Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed (Morrissey/Whyte)
Something Is Squeezing My Skull (Morrissey/Whyte)
I'm Looking Forward To Going Back (Morrissey/Whyte)
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris (Morrissey/Boorer)
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell (Morrissey/Boorer)

Has another Alain composed track called "Livings" been recorded or was that just a rumour?

Years of Refusal Tracklist

Possibel release 15th September...

Action Man (Morrissey/Whyte)

Teresa, Teresa (Morrissey/Whyte)

When I Was Young (Morrissey/Whyte)

When Last I Spoke To Carol (Morrissey/Whyte)

You Were Good In Your Time (Morrissey/Whyte)

Because Of My Poor Education (Morrissey/Whyte)

I Was Bully, Do Not Forget Me (Morrissey/Whyte)

It's Not Your Birthday Anymore (Morrissey/Whyte)

Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed (Morrissey/Whyte)

Something Is Squeezing My Skull (Morrissey/Whyte)

I'm Looking Forward To Going Back (Morrissey/Whyte)

I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris (Morrissey/Boorer)

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell (Morrissey/Boorer)

Judging by the sound of what we have heard so far should be a good album :)

Love PTxx.

Tags
morrissey album cover new album
Back
Top Bottom