The autotune on IANADOAC is bumming me out

there was an article on here years ago by a music professor where he congratulated Morrissey for being out of tune on dear god please help me,the prof was criticising almost every other artist who was using autotuned at the time.
I cant imagine M putting his voice through autotuned on his album,it could be the production that chicarelli has used.

there was an article on here years ago by a music professor where he congratulated Morrissey for being out of tune on dear god please help me,the prof was criticising almost every other artist who was using autotuned at the time.
I cant imagine M putting his voice through autotuned on his album,it could be the production that chicarelli has used.
There is definitely auto tune on the album, definitely. It is added after recording, you would want the voice recorded naturally and you add it as an effect.

i am really surprised people can’t hear it, listen to knockabout world, you can hear the pitch being altered during the “you’re ok by me” sections. Sure everyone can hear it at 2.56? He sounds like Cher, it’s obvious!

Last edited:
There is definitely auto tune on the album, definitely. It is added after recording, you would want the voice recorded naturally and you add it as an effect.

i am really surprised people can’t hear it, listen to knockabout world, you can hear the pitch being altered during the “you’re ok by ok” sections. Sure everyone can hear it at 2.56? He sounds like Cher, it’s obvious!

Yes, that particular instance of 'OK' does sound very iffy to me. But it's not the worst thing that's wrong with the album, sonically speaking.

Yes, that particular instance of 'OK' does sound very iffy to me. But it's not the worst thing that's wrong with the album, sonically speaking.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind it at all, it doesn’t spoil anything for me.

still sounds like Morrissey to my ears, i applaud the fact he is trying something new.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind it at all, it doesn’t spoil anything for me.

still sounds like Morrissey to my ears, i applaud the fact he is trying something new.

You applaud the fact he's trying something new. By which you mean hiding his true voice?

You applaud the fact he's trying something new. By which you mean hiding his true voice?
To be fair, Joe Chiccarelli is probably trying diplomatically to deal with the problem of Morrissey's apparent unwillingness to put much effort into his studio singing. If you want a long and productive relationship with Morrissey do you (a) tell him his singing is crap and get him to keep doing it until it's right, or (b) say yeah, yeah, Moz that was fantastic, and then quietly fix it later when he's gone to bed?

To be fair, Joe Chiccarelli is probably trying diplomatically to deal with the problem of Morrissey's apparent unwillingness to put much effort into his studio singing. If you want a long and productive relationship with Morrissey do you (a) tell him his singing is crap and get him to keep doing it until it's right, or (b) say yeah, yeah, Moz that was fantastic, and then quietly fix it later when he's gone to bed?

Whatever Joe does or tries out on Morrissey’s voice, I’m
sure Morrissey okays it. I mean he has last say on what his voice sounds like on the song.

Anyway, obviously Morrissey was going for a ‘modern’ (to him ) sound for this record, so why should anyone be surprised if auto tune is being used.

i am really surprised people can’t hear it, listen to knockabout world, you can hear the pitch being altered during the “you’re ok by me” sections. Sure everyone can hear it at 2.56? He sounds like Cher, it’s obvious!

Don’t hear any auto tune on his lead vocal when he’s singing the repeated line “you’re ok by me” just some big reverb with some pre-delay. But in the back of it there is the repeated line of his voice singing ‘this knockabout world’ and that is affected, sounds like slight delay with strong chorus maybe even a bit of ring modulation being used. Also there seems to be some very airy vocal like synth swells in the mix blended in.

Definitely does not sound auto-tuned as in artificially “tuned” to correct key discrepancies. I do hear subtle sound effects (chorus effects, reverb, even mild vocoder) - just like I’m OK By Myself where distortion is used.

At 2.56 / 2.57 when he sings You’re the pitch steps up and down quickly and it isn’t a smooth transition like your voice would do naturally.

Agree that this is being used as an effect rather than a fix.

At 2.56 / 2.57 when he sings You’re the pitch steps up and down quickly and it isn’t a smooth transition like your voice would do naturally.

Agree that this is being used as an effect rather than a fix.

Yes now I hear something. It’s masked. I’m not ruling out auto tune being used as an effect (doesn’t bother me) Though a combination of other effects can do similar things. Think Morrissey wanted a modern sound without being too obvious, and Joe doing his job, snuck it in there as tastefully as he could.

The lyrics of the secret of music

I am out of tune
Violin, the state I'm in
I've lived through many Junes
I am out of tune
The center hole is overgrown
I'm listening face down
Birds sound around
Like a sudden spell of bells
Or orchestrated swells
I am out of tune
Play the flute
For love or loot
That's really up to you
How it clings .......

Jesus christ thank you. Everybody disagreeing with me was very aggravating. It's incredibly obvious in Knockabout World, it's astounding to me people don't hear it. I am also baffled people keep mixing up effects like reverb and delay with autotune. What does reverb have to do with anything? We're talking about his voice, not the echos or reverbs under his voice. Two separate things that are in no way related.

I am still uncomfortable with the fact that nearly everybody here doesn't seem to care. Would you care if he was lip-syncing at shows? Would you care if a computer program sang all his songs on future albums? It's very strange to me that Morrissey burying his unique singing voice under layers of ugly sounding autotune that makes it generic and lifeless is not a problem for fans of Morrissey. I don't know what world I'm living in. I guess a knockabout one.

Nah, there is definitely auto-tune there, especially in knockabout world. Noticed it on the very first listen. I don't think it's used to correct as much as it was used in post production to give the album a more modern sound. Nowhere near as extreme as bands like walk off the earth, but very noticeable.

You really notice it when listening on $150,000 speakers I'll admit.

I don't think it's being used as a corrective measure either, but my concern is it is being used because "that's what everybody does now", and wow, can you think of a worse reason to do ANYTHING? And I personally find it to be an offensive, unpleasant sound. I want to hear a human voice. I'm amazed so many Morrissey fans are fine with his actual voice being taken away. Like it's all we have. He's not playing any other instrument.

I see a lot of people saying he did this to give it a more modern sound. Well if there's any era of music production I hate more than anything, it's the modern era. I think most albums sound absolutely awful these days and most of my favorite bands are following these trends. I just hate how this stuff sounds. Dead and soulless and smashed mastering and no dynamics and etc. I could go on.

Back
Top Bottom