tell us about the last Film you saw

I saw four films in Glasgow at the weekend. They were...

220px-Conviction_2010_film.jpg

Conviction - Hilary Swank and Sam Rockwell star in a film based on the true story of a woman whose brother is wrongly imprisoned for murder. She then studies to become a lawyer and becomes his attorney to get his sentence overturned. Good performances all round and well directed.

220px-Funnystory.png

It's Kind Of A Funny Story - Keir Gilchrist, Emma Roberts and Zach Galifianakis star in the story of a 16 year old who is suicidal, so he commits himself into a psychiatric hospital. Good screenplay, direction and acting from the entire cast. A great feel-good film.

HenrysCrime_Quad_.preview.jpg

Henry's Crime - Keanu Reeves, Vera Farmiga and James Caan star in a dull crime caper about a man who is convicted for a crime he didn't commit, so when he gets out of prison, he decides that he's done the time, so he may as well do the crime. He sets out to rob the bank again in highly implausible circumstances. Very disappointing.

215px-Blue_Valentine_film.jpg

Blue Valentine - Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling give career-best performances in a superb film about the disintegration of a marriage. Using flashbacks, the director expertly weaves the story and pulls no punches. At times it's hard to watch, at times it's very funny. If you see a film this year with better lead performances than this, then you're lying. If there's any justice, this will walk away with best actor/actress and director oscars. Simply unmissable.

Last edited:
Blue Valentine - Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling give career-best performances in a superb film about the disintegration of a marriage. Using flashbacks, the director expertly weaves the story and pulls no punches. At times it's hard to watch, at times it's very funny. If you see a film this year with better lead performances than this, then you're lying. If there's any justice, this will walk away with best actor/actress and director oscars. Simply unmissable.

I'd love to see this but not alone. :o It looks so intense.

I saw this tonight. The King's Speech. Slowly paced but methodical and nicely done. I loved the Beethoven played during the speech itself, PERFECT music, the way the movement built as his fear melted in a way.

the-kings-speech-poster-2.jpg

Okay I'd like to file a complaint.:mad: I'm in the middle of Hereafter and I'd like to ask, is giving Cécile the worst hairdo ever supposed to bring anything to the plot? No go on, Clint tell us: are you going to reveal that the hereafter is actually hiding in her hair? :rolleyes:

:crazy: Poor Céc. :mad:

last night, after everyone else went to bed :rolleyes: I watched a movie I DVRed like a month ago :squiffy:
Slowburnmp.jpg

I liked it, but as a result of one of the film's "plot points" :o
I looked up Jolene Blalock's "ethnicity" :straightface:
wikianswers told me its Scottish :eek:
if so, thats super cool :thumb:
if you see the film, you may find this funny though :p

220px-Black_Swan_poster.jpg

Black Swan - Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel and Mila Kunis star in the much- hyped, award-winning film of a production of Swan Lake. As you would expect, the cast and direction are all very good, the dance sequences look very impressive. Portman is obviously the centre of attention and gives a very strong performance. Good, but as great as the hype would have you believe. Worth seeing.

220px-127_Hours_Poster.jpg

127 Hours - Harrowing, but inspiring true story of Aron Ralston, a climber who became trapped by an immovable boulder in Utah in 2003. James Franco convincingly plays the lead in a very demanding role, but he exceeds all expectations in his portrayal of a man in s desperate situation. He tries everything at his limited disposal, but has to turn to unthinkable actions to survive. At initial screenings in America, audience members fainted at the climactic scene, which is not for the faint-hearted. Superbly acted and directed throughout. A must-see film.

220px-Morning_Glory_Poster.jpg

Morning Glory - A likeable film starring Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton. McAdams plays Becky Fuller who gets a job as executive producer of Daybreak, a morning TV show that has poor ratings and awful content. In some predictable, but enjoyable scenes, Becky has the task of increasing viewing figures to save the show from being cancelled. Worth seeing.

Today I saw Sabrina by Billy Wilder (and with the beautiful Audrey Hepburn) and yesterday I saw Some Like It Hot also by Billy Wilder. I especially liked the former one.

I saw Black Swan today. Thought it was an excellent movie, great dance performances and some scary moments. I'm not sure it's an Oscar winning performance from Miss Portman, she is very good but not top notch. Hoping to see Blue Valentine next.

DV8 Physical Theatre -"The cost of living"

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
...I bought "Marley and me" on saturday, for £3.00 in HMV....and the lady behind the counter told me to "Stock up" on tissues.....has anybody else seen it ?? and will I Cwy Vewy much???...I am, after all, a Dawgg-Lover, and I would also like to know if it is "Safe" for Millie to watch it with me.....as Westies can be SO sensitive....

Mozmal, thank you for the reviews - very nicely done.

Like CG, I saw The King's Speech this past weekend and was somewhat nonplussed. It was lovely but seemed like a rather smallish subject, despite efforts to plump it out with class conflicts and the impending Nazi scourge. Maybe it was just my mood that spoiled it.

Anyway, Colin Firth looks to be a shoo-in for an Oscar and that's a very good thing.

I watched "Undertaking Betty" this weekend. It was quirky, silly-funny, and cute. I really liked it. Description: Welsh funeral parlor owner Boris (Alfred Molina) is about to realize his fondest dream. His true love since childhood (Brenda Blethyn) will soon make herself available to him -- by staging her own fake death. But as part of the bargain, Boris may have to sacrifice his business to an American competitor (Christopher Walken), who wants to "put the fun back in funerals" with Vegas-style ceremonies and neon lights.

...Just Got around to watching "Suck"....a christmas present...( well, I am an Alice cooper fan....).
Yup,... It sucked.
Alice was Good in it, ( as was Iggy pop... Henry Rollins just came over as the C*nt I always suspected he was...).
If, however, anybody likes Hard/Rock-Kiddie-metal, the soundtrack is not bad at all.
It's mainly the story about a gorgeous ( as always...these Americans, eh??....as usual in these sort of "Teen Vampire" movies, the Vamps are Hawwwt....The "Geeks" are easily identifiable by the fact that they wear spectacles....Yawnissimo indeed) young Band ( as in Rock band) of Vampires that gain success after being Vampirised by the bastard son of Johnny depp from The "Wonderland" movie)...
Malcolm McDowell did his usual ( these days, anyway) feat of just sleepwalking through the script ( ...which was pretty easy, seeing as it was an utter shite script in the first place...).

BUT...there was a rather cleverly done scene feautiring clips from his (M. McD's...) 1970's movie "O Lucky Man", which showed his character in a Flashback sequence.....
All in all, an ( almost) total waste of a Fiver, but, at least it can go with the other "Alice Cooper" stuff....

Still haven't Dwedged up the Couwage to watch "Marley and me" yet....

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom