Surreptious (possible) knob references/gags by Morrissey

A clever one I think:

You were one, you knew you were one
and you slid right through my fingers
no not literally
but metaphorically
and now you're all I see
as the light fades

ON hearing I thought "not literally but metaphorically" was so knotted and just shy of clunky, so there must be a clear reason for the choice -- when we hear 'slid right through my fingers' we take it as a metaphor, so why underscore this so? Translation: 'you slid right through my fingers, but not in the good wanky-offy way'.

After all what else would be a literal slide through the fingers????

Hand in glove = Penis in condom, penis in orifice.

the sun shines out of our behinds = The phrase "Stick it where the sun don't shine." means to cram something up your a-hole, a very homophobic put-down. By the sun shining OUT of those behinds, Moz is saying, not only does the sun shine on those a-holes and that is OK, the sun actually shines OUT of them. Implying you should be proud of your free a-hole/having anal sex/being gay.

Er...not quite. "The sun shines out of our behinds" is a British expression implying that someone/something is great, arrogantly so, as in "That guy thinks the sun shines out of his arse".

Er...not quite. "The sun shines out of our behinds" is a British expression implying that someone/something is great, arrogantly so, as in "That guy thinks the sun shines out of his arse".

Haha thank god someone put an end to that

'Hold on to your Friends'.

Hold on to your friend's WHAT though? Another knob reference? Oh Moz, you mucky, mucky boy.

'Hold on to your Friends'.

Hold on to your friend's WHAT though? Another knob reference? Oh Moz, you mucky, mucky boy.

Good one! But you forgot the best line in that song. The filth-tastic "Smoke and explode". Not so subtle from Moz, that one...

A clever one I think:

You were one, you knew you were one
and you slid right through my fingers
no not literally
but metaphorically
and now you're all I see
as the light fades

ON hearing I thought "not literally but metaphorically" was so knotted and just shy of clunky, so there must be a clear reason for the choice -- when we hear 'slid right through my fingers' we take it as a metaphor, so why underscore this so? Translation: 'you slid right through my fingers, but not in the good wanky-offy way'.

After all what else would be a literal slide through the fingers????

Ha ha ha! Oh dear, my mind never took me this far when I heard that odd lil number. It took someone with "bottom" in his surname to help me perceive...Thank you. Stunning photos too, if I may say so.

But it's a slippery slope, Colin. I think we'd better stop here :)

this could potentially go on for years. Every single Morrissey song will be turned into some sex dirge.

His whole catalogue of his life is subjected to what some believe.what is possibly true to the length,colour & weight of his left eyebrow

& of course all the valid reasons for they are obsessive ones that can read his mind.

Carbuncle skinny has a palantir link to Morrissey, but good bet its a one way commune as Moz wont remove whats covering his palantir. How else can he know so much about Morrisseys opinion on everything? While also giving him career advice from his keyboard.

I don't think its supposed to be a sexual song at all.
He was in awe at his other-half taking the bullet for him.
So was happy to die as well. after witnessing real Love unequaled.

After his other-half fell to the ground He whispers that he loves him,but must finish what was started.

But Morrissey could be Re-telling or narrating a story about 2 of the gang & he was an onlooker. Who knows for sure...

I've often wondered if the line "with a head full of dread, I flop on your bed" from Maladjusted, is a reference to lying down, or losing one's erection.

I don't think its supposed to be a sexual song at all.
He was in awe at his other-half taking the bullet for him.
So was happy to die as well. after witnessing real Love unequaled.

After his other-half fell to the ground He whispers that he loves him,but must finish what was started.

But Morrissey could be Re-telling or narrating a story about 2 of the gang & he was an onlooker. Who knows for sure...

I agree but Morrissey has always used metaphor and written in such a way that other meanings can be read into it.
It's often about what he doesn't say and what can be inferred both by his phrasing and by the use of metaphor.

Poppycocteau

So then I went to Liverpool,
and got held up outside a
nightclub by two merchant
seamen who said:
"give us your money or give
us your trousers."
And as I handed them my
trousers ...
(Well, you've got to make the
Most of Life, haven't you?)

Not just the title, but the inference of the final line.

Und "poppycocteau" is an interesting and clever portmanteau because joining them together emphasises the bit that "poppycock" and "Cocteau" have in common: cock.

I've often wondered if the line "with a head full of dread, I flop on your bed" from Maladjusted, is a reference to lying down, or losing one's erection.

Yes! I hadn't considered that one before. And "flop" can be taken both as the physical, flaccid Johnson quite literally flopping on the bed, as you say; and flopping as in "the performance was a flop"; in that sense "I flop on your bed" is a very Morrissey thing to say I think.

mozbelly.jpg

In the book I recall a record executive telling Morrissey after that photo was taken that "A man doesn't rest his head on another man's stomach" or something like that. It made me feel so, so sad for morrissey.

In the book I recall a record executive telling Morrissey after that photo was taken that "A man doesn't rest his head on another man's stomach" or something like that. It made me feel so, so sad for morrissey.

Especially as he's not even resting his head on another man's stomach - he's resting his head on his groin.

Back
Top Bottom