"Stranger Things" - Smiths references

Anyone watching Stranger Things on Netflix. There is a reference to The Smiths in episode one and a character utters the line "the songs that saved your life". A later episode has There is a Light playing in the background--all 1985 references even though the show takes place in 1983, but fun nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone watching Stranger Things on Netflix. There is a reference to The Smiths in episode one and a character utters the line "the songs that saved your life". A later episode has There is a Light playing in the background--all 1985 references even though the show takes place in 1983, but fun nonetheless.

I see the all over the place and it has a high rating but something just kinda puts me off from trying it out. Any good

There is a Smiths reference, but at no point did I hear There Is A Light playing. I would have surely recognized it? I also don't remember anyone saying "songs that saved your life." I just watched the entire series two days ago.

they also use the same font as Strangeways, Here We Come. great show

it's great. I love the toothless kid. and the little girl. and it's so great to see winona ryder in something again.

There is a Smiths reference, but at no point did I hear There Is A Light playing. I would have surely recognized it? I also don't remember anyone saying "songs that saved your life." I just watched the entire series two days ago.

I think the reference was in the first or second episode, when the brother is listening to the clash with him. He says something along the lines of "the smiths, the clash...you know, the songs that saved your life."

As for There is a Light, I can't remember the episode but this soundtrack list has it noted too:
http://netflixlife.com/2016/07/18/stranger-things-soundtrack-spotify-playlist/

I might have leaned on my iPod accidentally as I was watching and started my own sound track--stranger things have happened :)

they also use the same font as Strangeways, Here We Come. great show

The font used was actually taken from the Stephen King movie adaptation of needful things.

As for the reference, yeah, it was when the 2 brothers were listening to the clash, and the older brother lists off his idea of must listen to bands... Joy division.. the Smiths..

I was wondering if anyone would post about this. The show takes place in November 1983. But that scene is from a prior time, before the little brother disappeared so it may have been even earlier than November. At best, only the Hand in Glove and This Charming Man singles would have been released. It's possible but how likely is it that a teenager in small-town Indiana would have already known about The Smiths? Of course, it doesn't matter and it was a cool reference to hear but that thought popped into my head.

I was wondering if anyone would post about this. The show takes place in November 1983. But that scene is from a prior time, before the little brother disappeared so it may have been even earlier than November. At best, only the Hand in Glove and This Charming Man singles would have been released. It's possible but how likely is it that a teenager in small-town Indiana would have already known about The Smiths? Of course, it doesn't matter and it was a cool reference to hear but that thought popped into my head.
Not very, especially considering that, at the time, those singles hadn't been released in the US. It's possible he could have heard of the Smiths, but in order to hear the music he would have had to get a hold of expensive imports, or known someone who had them.

At any rate, even though the reference didn't really ring true, I still enjoyed that scene. It was a bit of a heartwarming respite from the overwhelming unease and tension of the series as a whole.

What, in the main title? No, it's not the same. Look at Stephen King paperback covers in the early-mid 80s for the source.

I agree, the creators have stated that the Stephen King covers were an inspiration for the title font, but it's still the same base font as Strangeways. The Smiths, King, and Stranger Things all use the classic ITC Benguiat font, though the latter two use a modified version.

I really like the show, but the music references being so off like that really bothers me as a screenwriter. The film is a period piece and although I love the Smiths- as they're one of my all time favorites- they need to embrace what was precisely 1983 and prior and restrict themselves not to go beyond as it takes away from it's authenticity that they are trying so hard to get right. They also used the Bangles "Hazy Shade of Winter" cover, which was a recording done for the "Less than Zero" soundtrack in 1987. Even though the band had supposedly been playing the song live in 1983, there was not a recording of it and certainly not this version. The title sequence music however is perfectly spot on!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom