Stephen Street on Morrissey (Mojo 327, February 2021)

Stephen Street Feb 2021.jpg

Related Item:

Interesting. I never knew Street attended the session for 'Ouija Board' after getting the boot - that must have been very strange.

Morrissey sounds awful to work with, I'm sure Stephen Street was being polite here. It's a shame Moz could not hold onto his most talented collaborators.

Morrissey sounds awful to work with, I'm sure Stephen Street was being polite here. It's a shame Moz could not hold onto his most talented collaborators.
No, no. It's obviously the press trying to get him. And Street is comissioned by The Guardian....etc etc

Morrissey admits he's difficult - there's a difference between that & hysterical bullshit stories in the press that people who still haunt this site appear to believe yet don't have the self-respect to move on to an artist whose publicity they prefer.

Unbelievable, that he thought, Street would punch him in the face and that's why he had the boxer with him. Also not very nice, when he invited him to the studio where the new producers were sitting. I think Morrissey can be really cruel between people and when it gets serious he likes to hide behind his childish nature/insecureness and other people who protect him.

Great interview, thanks for sharing that. And further insight into the absolute mayhem and torment of Morrissey's mind. But that's where his art comes from - I wouldn't want it any other way.

This was also just such a tough time for morrissey. All the weight of the contractual obligation the expectations that you would fail and do so publicly by yourself. The uncertainty he was probably feeling doing the organizing he probably hadn’t fully done himself before

The part about writing to Street a couple of years ago when he was recovering in Switzerland is nice. Nice but also sad.

The part about writing to Street a couple of years ago when he was recovering in Switzerland is nice. Nice but also sad.

The end there with Street thinking it would be good for M to get out of America and record in the UK, I don’t really know why he thinks that would benefit or change M for the better. Strange thing to say.

And M stays in and records in a lot of places, why target America as detrimental to Morrissey’s well being or art?

This was also just such a tough time for morrissey. All the weight of the contractual obligation the expectations that you would fail and do so publicly by yourself. The uncertainty he was probably feeling doing the organizing he probably hadn’t fully done himself before

Yep. People simply don’t have the empathy or compassion to try and put themselves in his shoes. Morrissey is not a lawyer or music business mogul, and dealing with the stress of the business for an artist is not a good headspace to be in when you’re trying to be creative. Morrissey is a true artist, not perfect, messed up, and that’s how I like mine. :cool:

The end there with Street thinking it would be good for M to get out of America and record in the UK, I don’t really know why he thinks that would benefit or change M for the better. Strange thing to say.

And M stays in and records in a lot of places, why target America as detrimental to Morrissey’s well being or art?
Many people say that though. Damon Albarn for example.

They think he's detached from reality because he lives in his Hollywood bubble and that causes him to make dodgy political statements about Britain, which he doesn't understand anymore. Many people also equate his time in America with what they feel is a decline in quality in his work.

The thing is, he sold his house in LA in 2005 I think, has been living in different places ever since and probably doesn't spend that much time in the states.

His move to LA was a big thing back then and that's why everyone remembers it and he doesn't talk much about his current place of residence. You would have to dig relatively deep to find statements about his home in Switzerland etc, so as far as the general public is concerned he's still living in America and America is always a good scapegoat 😉

(Over to you, Aztec.)

Last edited:
They think he's detached from reality because he lives in his Hollywood bubble and that causes him to make dodgy political statements about Britain, which he doesn't understand anymore. Many people also equate his time in America with what they feel is a decline in quality in his work.

He was detached from reality in his Stretford bubble, in his Sloane Square bubble, in his Bowdon bubble, in his Camden bubble, and so on.

He has always been detached from any reality, other than his own.

Long may he reign ;)

He was detached from reality in his Stretford bubble, in his Sloane Square bubble, in his Bowdon bubble, in his Camden bubble, and so on.

Long may he reign ;)

I meant to add that to my mini rant but I thought that was a given.

Apparently not, for some these days ;)

What he was once loved for, he is now loathed.

Signs of recovery though. There was no caveat in that piece. Considering he's done nothing to save himself & has taken up no offers from the culture warriors, that's remarkable.

Long may he reign ;)

I’ve never thought of morrissey as detached, ever...
He’s always been a couple of years ahead of most folks in his thinking or his views...
This is why the media have struggled with him.. hence many a battle...
After the Smiths he was a lot more savvy about how things work in pop land, so he’s been nobody’s fool ever since.... he knows how to make his art, and don’t take any crap from anyone.....
I admire people who know what they want and then go get it ...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom