Star Interview: Home is where the art is for pioneer Linder Sterling at Chatsworth (Moz mentions)

Star Interview: Home is where the art is for pioneer Linder Sterling at Chatsworth - The Star - Sheffield News

full

Excerpt:

"‘Film portrayal was identity theft’
Linder Sterling was portrayed in a film last year about the early life of Morrissey – but she refuses to watch it. The biopic England Is Mine, directed by Mark Gill, showed the singer-songwriter struggling with life before meeting guitarist Johnny Marr and forming The Smiths. Linder was played by Jessica Findlay Brown; there are scenes of her producing collages and meeting Morrissey for walks around Southern Cemetery in Manchester – excursions later referred to in the Smiths song Cemetry Gates. “I have very little interest,” she insists. “It’s a case of identity theft, really, that somebody is portraying myself. How would anyone feel? I’m almost not wanting it in my head. It came and went so quickly.” Her friendship with Morrissey – who had no involvement in the film – is still strong after 40 years. They write letters and meet up whenever they can. “I think the friendship’s beyond geography. It will just find its own contours depending on where we both are in the world, what we’re both reading and looking at.” Her friend has had to fend off criticism for his statements about immigration and the Hollywood sexual abuse scandal. Does she worry about him? “No, he’s been there before. He’s buoyant. He’s got a sell-out tour happening, so no worries whatsoever. There’ve been so many periods of rough press, haven’t there. It just happens if you’re not toeing the party line. Most British musicians don’t have that many shock-horror headlines about themselves because they don’t say anything of interest.”"

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who was it who used to call him Dorrissey? Actually, didn't the Mozzer thing come from Johnny because he started calling him Misery Mozzery or something (after the miserablist press tag)? Since I've always thought that song was about Johnny, maybe it's that name (or something like it), rather than one from his youth?

I think Matt Johnson was the first person I remember using "Dorrissey", and Johnny as well, at a time when relations between Morrissey and Marr were poor.

Linder was a fringe punk figure many moons ago, of course she is unknown now. Or rather, she's the same as any of us, except she has freedom to indulge her hobbies and not work a dull 9-5. She sounds happy enough with her lot, but it must be irritating to have the "Morrissey's best friend" tag mentioned in every article about her work.

"... indulge her hobbies"? Patronising, much?

Performance art featured at: Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, Royal Festival Hall, Tate Britain, the Institute of Contemporary Arts... Work exhibited in Paris, New York, Prague, Los Angeles, Brussels, Stockholm...

But, yeah, she's basically making cupcakes.

Further interview article via KC:

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
"... indulge her hobbies"? Patronising, much?

Performance art featured at: Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, Royal Festival Hall, Tate Britain, the Institute of Contemporary Arts... Work exhibited in Paris, New York, Prague, Los Angeles, Brussels, Stockholm...

But, yeah, she's basically making cupcakes.

And the Hepworth Gallery, as well.

Jesus, you're a bit invested, aren't you?

Home Is Where The Art Is - !

What a fantastic interview. Linder is - truly - one of the UK's Leading Artists. I think
- with all honesty - that she has actually been at the very top of her game since 1978 or thereabouts....

Some people just have it. As we know. Class.

Hazard
x

Well done, showing how little your world is and how very little you know about art.
In truth linder is only really known in Morrissey circles and is in fact a bit of a joke in the art world. She does Collage for f*** sake. Not even original collage.

Thanks for clearing up that up. Jeez, how uptight and paranoid are you Brits anyway? Boys scared to call each other by first names for fear of what? Being accused of buggering each other? That's messed up.

It's not a "Brits" thing. I happened in high school in the US, too.

Only done by scared, insecure people like you.
Would you advise that Truth aquire a firearm to feel more secure?
Maybe he could purchase the Remington 'Nervous Nellie'?
''Packing the firepower of a US marine will address your insecurity issues and give you the confidence to use christian names!"

Would you advise that Truth aquire a firearm to feel more secure?
Maybe he could purchase the Remington 'Nervous Nellie'?
''Packing the firepower of a US marine will address your insecurity issues and give you the confidence to use christian names!"

Yes, unless he lives in England where according to you it's a fairytale delight totally free of danger and violence. Where the magic bobby is at your door in seconds to save you from an intruder. Where no dogs ever attack anyone. Where knife attacks never occur. No terrorism to worry about because statistics say it won't happen to you. Nobody ever gets raped there either. Your Utopia is a lie you tell yourself for comfort because you aren't allowed to protect yourself with a gun. You are in Stockholm syndrome with your government rule. It only takes one bad thing to happen to you to snap out of your arrogance, but by then it will be too late. You can't protect yourself from a serious threat anyway so you better hope luck stays on your side. You're gonna need it.

Last edited:
Yes, unless he lives in England where according to you it's a fairytale delight totally free of danger and violence. Where the magic bobby is at your door in seconds to save you from an intruder. Where no dogs ever attack anyone. Where knife attacks never occur. No terrorism to worry about because statistics say it wont happen to you. Nobody ever gets raped there either. Your Utopia is a lie you tell yourself for comfort because you aren't allowed to protect yourself with a gun. You are in Stockholm syndrome with your government rule. It only takes one bad thing to happen to you to snap out of your arrogance, but by then it will be too late. You can't protect yourself from a serious threat anyway so you better hope luck stays on your side. You're gonna need it.
Well, we're certainly less likely to be shot wouldn't you agree?

You should throw your pithy questions at someone attacking you with a knife.
Interesting response.
Why would I ask an attacker that question?
You life sounds hellish what with rabid dogs, knife welding maniacs and terrorists all over the shop.
Out of interest, how many attacks have safely foiled with your '''Peacemaker'?

Look Swift, I can tell you're really angry about this and I would never expect you to ditch your guns because of words exchanged on a pop star forum.
I realise that and maybe you should try to grasp that from the UK your stance looks bizarre.
I'll repeat an earlier question. Try and answer it if you can.
Do you think we should introduce gun ownership in the UK?
Would it make us safer?
(I forsee a Kewpie admonition).

Last edited:
Interesting response.
You life sounds hellish what with rabid dogs, knife welding maniacs and terrorists all over the shop.
Out of interest, how many attacks have safely foiled with your '''Peacemaker'?

Look Swift, I can tell you're really angry about this and I would never expect you to ditch your guns because of words exchanged on a pop star forum.
I realise that and maybe you should try to grasp that from the UK your stance looks bizarre.
Would it make us safer?
(I forsee a Kewpie admonition).

Swifty has prompted me to look at my area's crime statistics over the past six months, there has been one assault (ABH), that's it for violence, other offences include 'egging', a compressor which was stolen overnight, theft of petrol, damage to shed, etc. I'm starting to think I should be living somewhere more edgy haha. Poor Swifty sounds like he's living in the middle of a Walking Dead episode.

Interesting response.
Would it make us safer?
Swifty has prompted me to look at my area's crime statistics over the past six months, there has been one assault (ABH), that's it for violence, other offences include 'egging', a compressor which was stolen overnight, theft of petrol, damage to shed, etc. I'm starting to think I should be living somewhere more edgy haha. Poor Swifty sounds like he's living in the middle of a Walking Dead episode.
Well, you make Swifty's argument for him young Charles.
There would have been no 'egging' if the 'egee' had a shot gun.

Well, you make Swifty's argument for him young Charles.
There would have been no 'egging' if the 'egee' had a shot gun.

In the US, people have been shot and killed for a lot less. For instance, walking down the street and being a different race/religion than a gun owner. It's shocking and unbelievable - the anger that fuels someone to own a gun or an arsenal of guns. It's anger, more than mental illness, sometimes both.

Reckon that B foreigner film is a piece of shit inn nn it. Reckon all I know about Linder is that her son lil' Max and can do some gnarly skateboard tricks down at The Cove Skatepark with lil' Sammy.
Sorry to have to ask, are you actually retarded, or is it just that you can’t spell? Don’t worry about answering if you can’t form a reply. Just curious.

Sorry to have to ask, are you actually retarded, or is it just that you can’t spell? Don’t worry about answering if you can’t form a reply. Just curious.
He lives his life in denial from the safety of his mothers bungalow in Malibu where his only contact with men consist of weird sexual encounters with the pool boy.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom