Star Interview: Home is where the art is for pioneer Linder Sterling at Chatsworth (Moz mentions)

Star Interview: Home is where the art is for pioneer Linder Sterling at Chatsworth - The Star - Sheffield News

full

Excerpt:

"‘Film portrayal was identity theft’
Linder Sterling was portrayed in a film last year about the early life of Morrissey – but she refuses to watch it. The biopic England Is Mine, directed by Mark Gill, showed the singer-songwriter struggling with life before meeting guitarist Johnny Marr and forming The Smiths. Linder was played by Jessica Findlay Brown; there are scenes of her producing collages and meeting Morrissey for walks around Southern Cemetery in Manchester – excursions later referred to in the Smiths song Cemetry Gates. “I have very little interest,” she insists. “It’s a case of identity theft, really, that somebody is portraying myself. How would anyone feel? I’m almost not wanting it in my head. It came and went so quickly.” Her friendship with Morrissey – who had no involvement in the film – is still strong after 40 years. They write letters and meet up whenever they can. “I think the friendship’s beyond geography. It will just find its own contours depending on where we both are in the world, what we’re both reading and looking at.” Her friend has had to fend off criticism for his statements about immigration and the Hollywood sexual abuse scandal. Does she worry about him? “No, he’s been there before. He’s buoyant. He’s got a sell-out tour happening, so no worries whatsoever. There’ve been so many periods of rough press, haven’t there. It just happens if you’re not toeing the party line. Most British musicians don’t have that many shock-horror headlines about themselves because they don’t say anything of interest.”"

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your comment above coupled with your 'yellow streak in his hair' reference in your other post makes me think that 'I know very well how I got my name' could be about his nickname. That title always confused me because I was thinking in terms of his actual name, but a nickname makes much more sense in the context of the lyrics.

Well, that's another one solved! Nice one, mate! (As no one where I live would ever say.) So what was his nickname then? Goldie? Poncey? Bowie? ;)
Who was it who used to call him Dorrissey? Actually, didn't the Mozzer thing come from Johnny because he started calling him Misery Mozzery or something (after the miserablist press tag)? Since I've always thought that song was about Johnny, maybe it's that name (or something like it), rather than one from his youth?

Who was it who used to call him Dorrissey? Actually, didn't the Mozzer thing come from Johnny because he started calling him Misery Mozzery or something (after the miserablist press tag)? Since I've always thought that song was about Johnny, maybe it's that name (or something like it), rather than one from his youth?
Yes, as per Autobiography:
"Spandau Ballet called the Smiths ‘the scruffs’, and, I expect, we were. My own name is by now synonymous with the word ‘miserable’ in the press, so Johnny putters with ‘misery’ and playfully arrives at ‘misery mozzery’, which truncates to Moz, and I am classified ever after. I had originally decided to use only my surname because I couldn’t think of anyone else in music that had done so – although, of course, many had been known by just one name, but it hadn’t been their surname. Only classical composers were known by just their surnames, and this suited my mudlark temperament quite nicely."
Although the notion of contracting might be a nod to Bowie - who predated Boorer with the use of Boz, it's more likely just a common contraction that people in the UK use (even more so in Australia). Gazza, Bazzer, Jezzer, Shazza...et al.
Dorrissey...well, God knows where that came from!
Regards
FWD.

Yes, as per Autobiography:
"Spandau Ballet called the Smiths ‘the scruffs’, and, I expect, we were. My own name is by now synonymous with the word ‘miserable’ in the press, so Johnny putters with ‘misery’ and playfully arrives at ‘misery mozzery’, which truncates to Moz, and I am classified ever after. I had originally decided to use only my surname because I couldn’t think of anyone else in music that had done so – although, of course, many had been known by just one name, but it hadn’t been their surname. Only classical composers were known by just their surnames, and this suited my mudlark temperament quite nicely."
Although the notion of contracting might be a nod to Bowie - who predated Boorer with the use of Boz, it's more likely just a common contraction that people in the UK use (even more so in Australia). Gazza, Bazzer, Jezzer, Shazza...et al.
Dorrissey...well, God knows where that came from!
Regards
FWD.
Ah, well sourced, FWD, I knew I'd read it somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was a contemporary in another band who called him Dorrissey... but really, given his (at the time) pale, wafting, gladioli-waving, sexually ambiguous self, it's not such a big leap. I rather like it, I think it quite suits him.

Ah, well sourced, FWD, I knew I'd read it somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was a contemporary in another band who called him Dorrissey... but really, given his (at the time) pale, wafting, gladioli-waving, sexually ambiguous self, it's not such a big leap. I rather like it, I think it quite suits him.

Peter Hook called him Dorrissey. What does that mean? Dork?

Are you sure? Alot of the school 'mates' Rogan talked to refer to him as 'Steve said this...', 'Steve's Mam was hot...' Etc.

Never mention of a nickname neither which í found surprising. Most of us had one in them daze; mine was Sambo (long story), even the teacher's called me it. Never 'appen now, Etc :eek:

The teachers usually called people by their surnames. Sometimes the kids too. But sure I wasn't with Moz in school but I know calling people by surname was common enough. Maybe not 100% of the time but not rare.

That was already incredibly old-fasioned by the 1970s, particularly in the state sector. He will have been Steven in school.
Not where I grew up in the 70s. A friend of mine who grew up in 70s Mankfester told me it was all surnames for him too. And his friends.

How does this work exactly though? I mean how often in the day does someone refer to themselves by using their own name or surname as you say in order to "protect" themselves somehow? I can see teachers doing this during roll call but I don't think that's what you meant.
I dunno. Everyone I knew called their friends by surname. It was ok as long as your surname was a 'strong' one. I knew a guy called 'Magee' and he was called 'Ulick Magee', so he was f***ed on both names, pardon the pun.

I've never heard of her outside the Morrissey complex. Her art is utterly unknown, and she's hardly got looks to fall back on. Yikes
Unknown? She produced the artwork For Buzzcocks Orgasm Addict single, which made headline news at the time and what have her looks got to do with anything?

Unknown? She produced the artwork For Buzzcocks Orgasm Addict single, which made headline news at the time and what have her looks got to do with anything?

I don't understand the criticism of her looks. I think she is stunning for her 63 years of age.

I dunno. Everyone I knew called their friends by surname. It was ok as long as your surname was a 'strong' one. I knew a guy called 'Magee' and he was called 'Ulick Magee', so he was f***ed on both names, pardon the pun.
Haha, I just had to look up 'gee' which is apparently an exclusively Irish word. :eek: Can't say I've ever heard that one.

Linder was a fringe punk figure many moons ago, of course she is unknown now. Or rather, she's the same as any of us, except she has freedom to indulge her hobbies and not work a dull 9-5. She sounds happy enough with her lot, but it must be irritating to have the "Morrissey's best friend" tag mentioned in every article about her work.

Haha, I just had to look up 'gee' which is apparently an exclusively Irish word. :eek: Can't say I've ever heard that one.

Okay, glad you said that because I was wondering what Magee was! So, thanks for that.

But on the upside I now know what PJ Harvey was on about in her song Sheela-Na-Gig. So, thanks for that as well.

Last edited:
Linder was a fringe punk figure many moons ago, of course she is unknown now. Or rather, she's the same as any of us, except she has freedom to indulge her hobbies and not work a dull 9-5. She sounds happy enough with her lot, but it must be irritating to have the "Morrissey's best friend" tag mentioned in every article about her work.

I wonder though, because when asked about him, she doesn't dismiss the question and usually goes on to say something nice about him usually in detail.

Linder was a fringe punk figure many moons ago, of course she is unknown now.

She isn't unknown at all. She is well known and respected in her field "the arts". Punk was a way in for her but she made her name outside of it a long time ago.

She isn't unknown at all. She is well known and respected in her field "the arts". Punk was a way in for her but she made her name outside of it a long time ago.

I suppose we must have very different definitions of "known", then, because beyond diehard Smiths and Buzzcocks fans, I've never met a single person who has heard of her or her art beyond that early connection to punk and the cover for Orgasm Addict. A couple of her interviews seem to touch on her being unappreciated/'neglected' on home turf, maybe she is a bigger deal outside the UK.

I suppose we must have very different definitions of "known", then, because beyond diehard Smiths and Buzzcocks fans, I've never met a single person who has heard of her or her art beyond that early connection to punk and the cover for Orgasm Addict. A couple of her interviews seem to touch on her being unappreciated/'neglected' on home turf, maybe she is a bigger deal outside the UK.

I'd say the awareness of Linder by the average person worldwide on a scale of me to Banksy is that she is just above me.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom