Star Interview: Home is where the art is for pioneer Linder Sterling at Chatsworth (Moz mentions)

Star Interview: Home is where the art is for pioneer Linder Sterling at Chatsworth - The Star - Sheffield News

full

Excerpt:

"‘Film portrayal was identity theft’
Linder Sterling was portrayed in a film last year about the early life of Morrissey – but she refuses to watch it. The biopic England Is Mine, directed by Mark Gill, showed the singer-songwriter struggling with life before meeting guitarist Johnny Marr and forming The Smiths. Linder was played by Jessica Findlay Brown; there are scenes of her producing collages and meeting Morrissey for walks around Southern Cemetery in Manchester – excursions later referred to in the Smiths song Cemetry Gates. “I have very little interest,” she insists. “It’s a case of identity theft, really, that somebody is portraying myself. How would anyone feel? I’m almost not wanting it in my head. It came and went so quickly.” Her friendship with Morrissey – who had no involvement in the film – is still strong after 40 years. They write letters and meet up whenever they can. “I think the friendship’s beyond geography. It will just find its own contours depending on where we both are in the world, what we’re both reading and looking at.” Her friend has had to fend off criticism for his statements about immigration and the Hollywood sexual abuse scandal. Does she worry about him? “No, he’s been there before. He’s buoyant. He’s got a sell-out tour happening, so no worries whatsoever. There’ve been so many periods of rough press, haven’t there. It just happens if you’re not toeing the party line. Most British musicians don’t have that many shock-horror headlines about themselves because they don’t say anything of interest.”"

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Star - Sheffield News:

View attachment 43699

Excerpt:

"‘Film portrayal was identity theft’
Linder Sterling was portrayed in a film last year about the early life of Morrissey – but she refuses to watch it. The biopic England Is Mine, directed by Mark Gill, showed the singer-songwriter struggling with life before meeting guitarist Johnny Marr and forming The Smiths. Linder was played by Jessica Findlay Brown; there are scenes of her producing collages and meeting Morrissey for walks around Southern Cemetery in Manchester – excursions later referred to in the Smiths song Cemetry Gates. “I have very little interest,” she insists. “It’s a case of identity theft, really, that somebody is portraying myself. How would anyone feel? I’m almost not wanting it in my head. It came and went so quickly.” Her friendship with Morrissey – who had no involvement in the film – is still strong after 40 years. They write letters and meet up whenever they can. “I think the friendship’s beyond geography. It will just find its own contours depending on where we both are in the world, what we’re both reading and looking at.” Her friend has had to fend off criticism for his statements about immigration and the Hollywood sexual abuse scandal. Does she worry about him? “No, he’s been there before. He’s buoyant. He’s got a sell-out tour happening, so no worries whatsoever. There’ve been so many periods of rough press, haven’t there. It just happens if you’re not toeing the party line. Most British musicians don’t have that many shock-horror headlines about themselves because they don’t say anything of interest.”"

https://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/...oneer-linder-sterling-at-chatsworth-1-9013355

Regards,
FWD.

Thoughts from skimming...Real name Linda Mulvey...sounds like a housewife...no wonder she changed it to just one name: Linder...wonder if that inspired Morrissey to do the same? She does have a different surname...Sterling...is this her married name or another one made up? Ever notice that Moz used "Linder Ltd." as the name for I think his publishing or company name for merchandising or both...also clever that the writer used 'Home is where the art is' in the title of this piece as it's from the run out groove of Shakespeare's Sister.

Last edited:
just one name: Linder...wonder if that inspired Morrissey to do the same?
I didn't realise that. Very interesting, given Morrissey's magpie nature where ideas are concerned. Do we know whether this was before or after she became well-know in the art world? ie who did it first - Linder or Morrissey?

Linder led; it was a trés Punk thing to do. New identities, year zero, Etc.

The thing that í am still intrigued by is that most other kidz ditched surnames, to let loose the shackles of blood.
Morrissey, maybe fittingly, foregrounded the past.

But then, what else is he gonna do? Be the legendary...'Steve' :rock:

I didn't realise that. Very interesting, given Morrissey's magpie nature where ideas are concerned. Do we know whether this was before or after she became well-know in the art world? ie who did it first - Linder or Morrissey?

Linda became Linder mid 70's. Her being older I'm sure Moz looked up to her. Some say infatuated.

Reckon that B foreigner film is a piece of shit inn nn it. Reckon all I know about Linder is that her son lil' Max and can do some gnarly skateboard tricks down at The Cove Skatepark with lil' Sammy.

Linder did that famous collage for the Buzzcock's single "Orgasm Addict" as well as the cover for Magazine's Real Life album in the late 1970s. We knew the name Linder from staring at those covers, never knew she was female though, very cool.

linder-sterling-3.jpeg

Little known fact about Linder.
She used to go out with Hue from 'Hue and Cry' and was in fact the inspiration for the song 'Never Stop Looking for Linder' (for which she provided backing vocals).

Her band Ludus released a track titled 'You Open My Legs Like A Book', wonder if this influenced 'When You Open Your Legs'?

Katharine Lee Bates and Samuel A. Ward wrote "America the Beautiful" - wonder if this influenced "America is Not the World"?

I've never really understood Linder (or Ludus) - I guess she's just too "out there" for me - but she sounds like a good friend to him and those are hard to come by. How many people have 40-year friendships?

Listened to some Ludus to find out what I've been missing. I'm sure she's a lovely woman but my God, what utter shite!

I've never really understood Linder (or Ludus) - I guess she's just too "out there" for me - but she sounds like a good friend to him and those are hard to come by. How many people have 40-year friendships?

This friendship surely is a precious one. Moz is lucky that it didn't end in tragedy in 1997.

[video]

:rock::rock::rock:

OK, let go
Let's go through the various situations
The various combinations
Of romance, love and marriage:
Male plus female
Female plus male
But, my, how sex intrudes
Girls in pink, boys in blue
Sex intrudes, too many rules
Too many fools following too many rules
So let us go further
Let us now try:
Female plus female
Male loving male
Female plus female plus female plus female
Male plus male plus male plus male
Female plus male
Male plus female
Female plus female plus female plus female

Me and you
Oh, you and me
Sex that's free
Me and you
Oh, you and me
Don't you know that there'll always be
Me and you
Oh, you and me
then,there's always more

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Linder led; it was a trés Punk thing to do. New identities, year zero, Etc.

The thing that í am still intrigued by is that most other kidz ditched surnames, to let loose the shackles of blood.
Morrissey, maybe fittingly, foregrounded the past.

But then, what else is he gonna do? Be the legendary...'Steve' :rock:

In primary school Moz was called Morrissey. That happened all the time in the UK and Ireland. Not sure about the rest of the world. A lot of kids thought of themselves as surname first, it was just the way it was. Once you reached the safety of home you became your first name again. So Moz was Morrissey years before The Smiths, but he just kept it. A name is a powerful thing.

In primary school Moz was called Morrissey. That happened all the time in the UK and Ireland. Not sure about the rest of the world. A lot of kids thought of themselves as surname first, it was just the way it was. Once you reached the safety of home you became your first name again. So Moz was Morrissey years before The Smiths, but he just kept it. A name is a powerful thing.
That is true, especially in high school, and especially for boys. For some reason the girls didn't do this. I always thought it seemed like a self-protection thing by the boys, keeping themselves more detached and less intimate. School is such a jungle...

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom