Standard Poodles

Scarlet Ibis

The Chicken of D.C.
Have any of you ever owned a standard poodle? Are they good family dogs?

I'm considering adopting an older puppy - around 5 months old, I believe. She's a rescue from a puppy mill. She has knee problems and needs surgery, so it'll be awhile before I can have her.

I've owned smaller poodles (and have loved their intelligence and loyalty), but never a standard.

A mate has one...soppy adorable dog...really placid and easy to train...unlike my dogs who are the worst behaved dogs in the neighbourhood...bit like their owner.:p

I babysat for a couple that had one who was very protective of his family and loyal, also super smart. He was ginormous though and loved to run, was a bit like a horse running through the house.

Have any of you ever owned a standard poodle? Are they good family dogs?

I'm considering adopting an older puppy - around 5 months old, I believe. She's a rescue from a puppy mill. She has knee problems and needs surgery, so it'll be awhile before I can have her.

I've owned smaller poodles (and have loved their intelligence and loyalty), but never a standard.

I grew up on the dog show circuit and the Standards had a good reputation as far as temperament was concerned. The only nasty poodle I ever encountered personally was a Toy.

A dog from a puppy farm will not have been bred with the proper consideration for temperament any more than for healthy conformation, so make sure you get to watch her interact with humans/other dogs before you make a decision. That said, we had a dog which had started life on a puppy farm and her nature was excellent.

Hope that's some help. Oh and please don't put the poor thing in Lion Clip! :squiffy:

I grew up on the dog show circuit and the Standards had a good reputation as far as temperament was concerned. The only nasty poodle I ever encountered personally was a Toy.

A dog from a puppy farm will not have been bred with the proper consideration for temperament any more than for healthy conformation, so make sure you get to watch her interact with humans/other dogs before you make a decision. That said, we had a dog which had started life on a puppy farm and her nature was excellent.

Hope that's some help. Oh and please don't put the poor thing in Lion Clip! :squiffy:

Sorry for my ignorance, what is lion clip? :o

I don't have much knowledge on them so I don't think basing an opinion on a breed because of one dog would be fair...but my mother's best friend has one and from what I hear, the dog is a terror. It's not vicious or mean, but very badly behaved. I have a feeling this has more to do with my mom's friend's lax attitude about training, etc. than it does the dog itself.

Haha. I would not! I already have a cockapoo who is also a rescue from a puppy mill. She is the SWEETEST creature I've ever encountered. I always get her the "puppy cut." It's more dignified. Actually, I'm sitting here right now waiting for the traveling groomer to arrive. She has a grooming station in the back of her truck. It's neat-o. :)

a004-1.jpg

Haha. I would not! I already have a cockapoo who is also a rescue from a puppy mill. She is the SWEETEST creature I've ever encountered. I always get her the "puppy cut." It's more dignified. Actually, I'm sitting here right now waiting for the traveling groomer to arrive. She has a grooming station in the back of her truck. It's neat-o. :)

a004-1.jpg

She's adorable! :) And yes, I'm going to poke fun at you for ribboning her ears. :lbf:

She's adorable! :) And yes, I'm going to poke fun at you for ribboning her ears. :lbf:

The groomer does that automatically, but I have to admit that I find it very cute. :D

If I get the standard poodle I might try to groom them both myself as it could start to run into some real money. My grandfather used to groom his poodles... Badly. I think I could do a decent job given my artistic background. Louise (cockapoo) might look a little funny until I get the hang of it though. :)

dogs normally love me, especially
dam.jpg

bigger sized ones, but poodles suck, one even bit me once when I was a kid :eek:
I try not to hold a grudge, but I still remember that :mad:

~Scarlet,

I have a standard poodle and I will assure you he is one of the best dogs I have had the good fortune of having within my life. They are extremely intelligent and learn very quickly. My standard does tend to act the "guard dog" when inside, but overall is very friendly and accepting of people and other animals (if you have cats). They are very loyal and affectionate.

The hair can be time consuming and high maintenance. Taking them to a groomer every 6 weeks can also be costly. I learned to do it myself, and if you are artistic (especially 3-dimensional) You will not have a problem learning it.

You are in DC?
Greetings, neighbor!

Ready for Snowmaggedon this weekend? :)

Here is a picture of Rhys after I cut his hair

Last edited:
~Scarlet,

I have a standard poodle and I will assure you he is one of the best dogs I have had the good fortune of having within my life. They are extremely intelligent and learn very quickly. My standard does tend to act the "guard dog" when inside, but overall is very friendly and accepting of people and other animals (if you have cats). They are very loyal and affectionate.

The hair can be time consuming and high maintenance. Taking them to a groomer every 6 weeks can also be costly. I learned to do it myself, and if you are artistic (especially 3-dimensional) You will not have a problem learning it.

You are in DC?
Greetings, neighbor!

Ready for Snowmaggedon this weekend? :)

Here is a picture of Rhys after I cut his hair

Oh, he's SO CUTE. Awww.

Thank you for your poodle info.

I am not ready... I already feel like a shut-in and it hasn't even started. D:

My mom freaked out and went shopping and came home with a ton of food we don't need. (She moved in with us, so she sometimes shops for the house.) I guess it'll be homey. Are YOU ready?

Do you mean the little poodles? Or the gargantuan ones?

The large ones always terrified me...because I had never seen one until I was about 11. I only saw the little ones and thought the huge ones were abnormal.

But regardless, the ones I have encountered, both large and small were very friendly and cuddly.

One of my cousins has a standard poodle, it's a really smart dog,not mean at all. Gets along well with the other dog she has.ids have visited and no problems there either.

meat is murder

has anyone seen Theatre of Blood?

theatre_of_blood_poster_01.jpg

"Vincent Price plays Edward Lionheart, a Shakesprean actor that the critics hate (one calls him a "ham sandwich"). Enraged by their reviews of his works he commits suicide. But, unknown to everybody else, he survives and decides to kill off his critics one by one using methods described in Shakespeare's plays."

0.jpg

"The motherly critic (Robert Morley) is forced to eat his doggies(babies) baked in a pie ala Titus Andronicus. ... especially nasty critic his favorite poodle."

theatbl212.jpg

The lady who is fostering the poodle has not returned my call. :( I really hope it's just because of the blizzard. I really want this poodle now.

Back
Top Bottom