Morrissey Central "SOON / 2020 new releases" (September 6, 2020)

SouthPaw_Vinyl_Gatefold.jpg
YATQ_Vinyl_Gatefold.jpg

Both albums issued on BMG Label for the first time, including inner booklets. LP and CD formats.

Both JPGs describe the images as 'gatefold'.
Regards,
FWD.

Listened today, save for The Operation it all holds up. And Southpaw is dazzling.
Absolutely. Southpaw is Moz rockish album. After the intimate and personal Vauxhall & I, Moz said it was time to give the spotlight to the band. And so it was. Southpaw is instruments over lyrics/writing. You either love it or hate it. Definitely a personal favourite. Only slightly let down by some poor track choice between the album and the 12' b-sides. My "personal" Southpaw Grammar also includes the stunning You Must Please Remember (unexplainable how it was left out from the Legacy edition) and is one of those records where track order is a priority. Unlike the Legacy edition, no matter what, it must start and end with the 10+ min tracks. They are the soul and glue of this marvel.
Southpaw Grammar - definitive edition
1. The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils
2. Reader Meet Author
3. The Boy Racer
4. The Operation
5. Dagenham Dave
6. Fantastic Bird
7. Do Your Best And Don't Worry
8. Best Friend On The Payroll
9. Honey, You Know Where To Find Me
10. You Must Please Remember
11. You Should Have Been Nice To Me
12. Nobody Loves Us
13. Southpaw

Last edited:
@ACTON
There is hope for you regarding the additional albums. It seems that Southpaw and YATQ are to be first of a bigger bunch. Here is the original article from a couple of months back:

"The announcement also revealed BMG will be re-issuing remasters of several Morrissey records next year. The planned re-releases - 'Southpaw Grammar', 'Maladjusted', 'You Are The Quarry', 'Ringleader of the Tormentors', 'Years of Refusal' and 'Live at the Hollywood Bowl' - will all get updated artwork and sleeve notes".

It's like reissuing Heartbreak Hotel with a big, fat Vegas-Elvis photo. I hope Maladjusted gets a fair treatment. I've always liked this Japan-only cover but honestly I can't be arsed to make a mock gatefold/cover, so use your imagination.

d77694a042f041fc8890e035954ec8be.jpg

But you have that on the original. And the 2009 reissue. And now this one.
True. But I hate the f**cked up track order they did with the 2009 reissue. I'm just counting they'll do something similar to my above post. I do have the original, but I would love to have the added tracks on vinyl. Guess this will be our last chance for that.

Last edited:
Folk that don't have them, new fans, young fans plus existing fans that do like the new cover, booklet etc.
I don’t like the SG and YATQ rereleases artworks as shown on Central.

I find them cheap looking material and cannot understand what’s behind that choice.

I’m not so young, but I can be considered a new Morrissey fan.

But if the aesthetic chosen for those rereleases was meant to meet a particular new fanbase taste, then I don’t feel included in it.

Absolutely. Southpaw is Moz rockish album. After the intimate and personal Vauxhall & I, Moz said it was time to give the spotlight to the band. And so it was. Southpaw is instruments over lyrics/writing. You either love it or hate it. Definitely a personal favourite. Only slightly let down by some poor track choice between the album and the 12' b-sides. My "personal" Southpaw Grammar also includes the stunning You Must Please Remember (unexplainable how it was left out from the Legacy edition) and is one of those records where track order is a priority. Unlike the Legacy edition, no matter what, it must start and end with the 10+ min tracks. They are the soul and glue of this marvel.
2. Reader Meet Author
3. The Boy Racer
4. The Operation
5. Dagenham Dave
6. Fantastic Bird
12. Nobody Loves Us
13. Southpaw
I agree with most of this, but Fantastic Bird is not from the Southpaw sessions. This misconception is the result some of Morrissey's bizarre revisionism.

I’m pretty sure these sleeves are official Moz fake news and designed to irk the purists and detractors (Including myself I suppose?) who have previously spoken up about the much maligned artwork revisions on previous reissues.
But then I’ve thought that countless times in Moz world and it usually turns out to be true.
These sleeves are AWFUL. Didn’t mind too much the changes to the Southpaw/Maladjusted reissues a few years ago, but these look like they’ve been created on MS Paint. If real, I can only imagine what the Ringleader and Refusal revisions will look like!!
I still love Moz’s music and I’m not one of the constant doomdayers here but Jeez, if BMG have given full creative control here, that’s pretty misguided.

2. Reader Meet Author
3. The Boy Racer
4. The Operation
5. Dagenham Dave
6. Fantastic Bird
12. Nobody Loves Us
13. Southpaw

I read You must Please Remember’ is one of his (own) most hated songs.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom