Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Australian Version)

Oso Blanco

The Truth Is Out There
Does anyone here have the australian version of "The Queen Is Dead", where the intro of "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" doesn't fade out and then in again at the beginning?

I'd be highly interested in a lossless version of this track, if possible a WAV file taken directly from the CD.

Anyone, please?

Thanks in advance!

I'm very interested in obtaining this track as well.
(sorry if you thought this was someone posting the track Oso. Didn't mean to get your hopes up)

I just took a listen to the file posted and it's the same as what I have and I am pretty sure what I have was ripped from the actual CD and then sent to me via email about a year ago.

Well, if it's from the cd or not, it's obviously an edited version not and 'un-faded' version. Maybe this is how is is on the Australian cd, but it's not the song played without fading out and in as I was hoping.

Well, if it's from the cd or not, it's obviously an edited version not and 'un-faded' version. Maybe this is how is is on the Australian cd, but it's not the song played without fading out and in as I was hoping.

Are you sure you're not actually looking for the "Edit" of Some Girls... that was on the German version of the single???

No, that one (I think) just begins after the first fade out. I like the fade out and in, but I had heard that the Australian edition played through the entire intro without fading. The version posted has an obvious edit, which still leaves me wondering if this is indeed the version on the Aussie cd. Seems strange that such a sloppy edit would appear on the album.

The version posted has an obvious edit, which still leaves me wondering if this is indeed the version on the Aussie cd. Seems strange that such a sloppy edit would appear on the album.

That's what I meant. It appears around 00:13 and sounds as if someone did a very bad cut and paste job to make it appear a non-fading intro. It's hard to believe that something like that would be officially released, but on the other hand nobody knows how the non-fading version ended up on that Australian album anyway. Maybe some Australian sound engineer thought he had to fix the intro? Who knows ...

No, that one (I think) just begins after the first fade out. I like the fade out and in, but I had heard that the Australian edition played through the entire intro without fading. The version posted has an obvious edit, which still leaves me wondering if this is indeed the version on the Aussie cd. Seems strange that such a sloppy edit would appear on the album.

I'll repeat myself, it is DEFINITELY the version that was released on the Australian 'Queen Is Dead'.

I wonder whether the edit can be heard easily on the LP. If not, it would explain why there wasn't much of a fuss from record buyers back then. After all, nobody knew where The Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever" was spliced together until it was released on CD 20 years later and the producer gave away the secret.

It looks like they looped the first seconds (before the fade out) but it does not sound right. Thanks for the effort though!

I just listened to it again a few times.
I really dont think the edit is as bad as everyone thinks it is.
What I think is that you are just not used to hearing it this way.

When you hear a song played a certain way the past 20 years, and then hear a modification to the song, it sounds wierd on the ears and takes a few times to really process it.

That's exactly what is assumed to have happened. Someone probably thought there was a problem with the mastering and 'corrected' it before pressing the album.

Stephane

I first got into the Smiths when a mate wrote the lyrics to "frankly Mr Shankley" in the back of an exercise book at school...I went out and bought the Queen is Dead that night...took it home and listened to it...I thought the CD was broken when it played "Some Girls and Bigger Tan Others" so I took it back the next day and swapped it for "Rank".

I did the same a few years later with "You're the one for me fatty" when "There speaks a true friend" finishes suddenly...I've often wondered what the rest of the song is about...

when "There speaks a true friend" finishes suddenly...I've often wondered what the rest of the song is about...

This is what Alain Whyte had to say about the end of that one:
"It was Morrissey's idea. I think he thought the tune was too long. It actually had a long outro that was really melodic. The tune was really sweet, maybe too sweet, It had to be chopped to make it unusual."

I did the same a few years later with "You're the one for me fatty" when "There speaks a true friend" finishes suddenly...I've often wondered what the rest of the song is about...

There isn't anything interesting in the chopped part. There aren't any lyrics and the music just dwindles. It's not that long anyways.

They probably just didn't know how to end the song in an interesting way. Which is surprising... give me the multitracks and I'll make a better job than that.

Stephane

Back
Top Bottom