So when did you discover Morrissey ?

Thats a great story and beautifully told , i hope you feel better for getting the " sexy priest " thing out in the open :lbf:
Im sure the Vancouver show will be amazing , just keep your head down during the shirt throwing bit .
Fat face ? i wish my fat was just my face !!
no way, im gonna be all over dat shirt

Well Paul, as others have written...this story is old but is goes on...I was at a college friend's house and he had The Queen is Dead on the turntable and There is a Light came on and I was floored. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

The combination of the music, his voice and lyrics were revelatory. I can't remember caring about other music for several years until I had taken it all in. I came in at the end of The Smiths and the beginning of Morrissey solo so there was so much to enjoy during that time.

I am more a soloist than a bandsman. Others feel differently, but he was destined to be a soloist, and he delivered in spades!

And a quote from one of my favourite tracks ! Thank you for story , it’s a testament to the man and the music that people can remember even years before when they made the Morrissey discovery .
Unfortunately my wife is not a believer so Its good to hear others having the same experience as I am having now :)

So, if someone really wants to know...
I first discovered The Smiths when I heard Strangeways and Rank on the radio, it was Berlin radio station SFB2; DJ Johnny played the independent charts once a week. And I was glued to my little stereo ready for tape recording (and begging my mother NOT to put on the vacuum cleaner and interfering with the precious radio waves). In my country (GDR, anyone remembers?) it was not possible to purchase the albums, but I got copies from friends and from radio (also thanks to east German radio station DT64). Unfortunately I couldn´t understand English in that time. So I missed the whole meaning of the songs but I liked the music and the singing.
About 6 years ago I found my old tapes again and started to listen in my "new" old car. Suddenly understanding the words now (well, most of them...) it was like "whow!". The songs which brought me back to The Smiths and Morrissey were Vulgar picture and of course There is a light. Since then I´ve purchased all I could get from Smiths and Morrissey and can´t stop listening anymore. And why should I.
Something I really apreciate is the deep honesty in the songs and of course the humour. Unfortunately none of my friends gets him, they only find him anoying.
Also when I started guitar playing about 8 years ago I didn´t imagine I would end up almost only playing Smiths and Morrissey songs. Not very good though.

So, if someone really wants to know...
I first discovered The Smiths when I heard Strangeways and Rank on the radio, it was Berlin radio station SFB2; DJ Johnny played the independent charts once a week. And I was glued to my little stereo ready for tape recording (and begging my mother NOT to put on the vacuum cleaner and interfering with the precious radio waves). In my country (GDR, anyone remembers?) it was not possible to purchase the albums, but I got copies from friends and from radio (also thanks to east German radio station DT64). Unfortunately I couldn´t understand English in that time. So I missed the whole meaning of the songs but I liked the music and the singing.
About 6 years ago I found my old tapes again and started to listen in my "new" old car. Suddenly understanding the words now (well, most of them...) it was like "whow!". The songs which brought me back to The Smiths and Morrissey were Vulgar picture and of course There is a light. Since then I´ve purchased all I could get from Smiths and Morrissey and can´t stop listening anymore. And why should I.
Something I really apreciate is the deep honesty in the songs and of course the humour. Unfortunately none of my friends gets him, they only find him anoying.
Also when I started guitar playing about 8 years ago I didn´t imagine I would end up almost only playing Smiths and Morrissey songs. Not very good though.
Sounds like you had to work hard for your Morrissey breakthrough!
I tried guitar once and it was a disaster :lbf:

September 1983. Now you know.

Back
Top Bottom