So when did you discover Morrissey ?

Well this "Canadian" happens to be a genuinely friendly guy.
Not because I'm Canadian, or that I have to be friendly to anyone.
It's a life outlook.
Emit sunshine and it comes back at you.

And there's nothing wrong with "folksy shit"
Why the blinders? Open up your mind and you will be filled with much more love & an enriched life.
...just sayin'

signed - Canadian Son
Only shame is that kind people die at an early age. My dad was 88 and I plan to be 108.

I think you need to play more hockey and get more testosterone. The sun shines out of your behind but I prefer to call it arsehole.

CAN YOU DIG IT?

I’m from Michigan and up until recently the border was pretty loose between Michigan and Ontario. I remember while checking in for a charter flight from Detroit to somewhere tropical observing how every Canadian suitcase was coated with Canadian flag stickers. Didn’t want their bags mistaken as American. And how once there, if one of the locals asked a Canadian if they were American by mistake, how quick the Canadian was to correct them. Not to mention the knowing smile exchanged between the two.

Being just a short distance from Canada, my accent definitely has a dash of Canadian influence added into it. It was pretty easy for me to assume an identity from Ontario. Especially the further away I got. And I found numerous benefits to being Canadian vs. American.

I’m from Michigan and up until recently the border was pretty loose between Michigan and Ontario. I remember while checking in for a charter flight from Detroit to somewhere tropical observing how every Canadian suitcase was coated with Canadian flag stickers. Didn’t want their bags mistaken as American. And how once there, if one of the locals asked a Canadian if they were American by mistake, how quick the Canadian was to correct them. Not to mention the knowing smile exchanged between the two.

Being just a short distance from Canada, my accent definitely has a dash of Canadian influence added into it. It was pretty easy for me to assume an identity from Ontario. Especially the further away I got. And I found numerous benefits to being Canadian vs. American.
FFS they live in the real world and know about the terror threat. You'd be stupid to openly admit to being american these days.
I felt unsafe around them on the cruise ship last year. Like please tone down the frog like sound you make when you speak and try to reduce the size of the mouth ladies cause this is not BJ school days when the quarter back offered you his giant tool.

Zip it!

Well this "Canadian" happens to be a genuinely friendly guy.
Not because I'm Canadian, or that I have to be friendly to anyone.
It's a life outlook.
Emit sunshine and it comes back at you.

And there's nothing wrong with "folksy shit"
Why the blinders? Open up your mind and you will be filled with much more love & an enriched life.
...just sayin'

signed - Canadian Son
yeah, I joke, in my personal experience, the people from countries I make fun of on here, Canadians, Swedes*, well, I liked almost all of em, defo a better class of people than us Yanks, especially since they can take a joke usually :blushing:

*=except that guy, Lars something, f*** that guy :cool:

yeah, I joke, in my personal experience, the people from countries I make fun of on here, Canadians, Swedes*, well, I liked almost all of em, defo a better class of people than us Yanks, especially since they can take a joke usually :blushing:

*=except that guy, Lars something, f*** that guy :cool:
Men named Lars can be tricky but if they are called Lasse they have a heart bigger than the universe.

Wow that’s pretty scathing! So all those people were faking it , talk about shattered dreams , maybe I was just an ugly person being nice to them omg where do I go from here :paranoid:
well, no, they probably weren't faking it with you. we do tend to get a kick out of foreigners.

actually, I lied. I imagine most of us are genuinely nice. but there are some that I have my suspicions about. it's just that, you see, I've been surrounded by these overly effusive types at my work, the kind that lanterns aptly calls "creepy ham actors", who act like everything and everyone is sooooooo fabbbbbbbulllous, just for attention, and exposure to their type has made me a bit cynical.

one thing I will say about Canadians is that they respect your personal space like no one else. when im in a grocery store in any other part of the world, even England, I feel constantly jostled by people around me, always on edge that someone is going to come up too close to me or swoop in front of me or nudge me out of the way if ive stood in front of the chocolate section for a second too long. it feels bloody unnatural to me being from Canada where that kind of thing NEVER happens, no one EVER treads on your personal space and if they do they know very well to say "sorry" or "excuse me".

well, no, they probably weren't faking it with you. we do tend to get a kick out of foreigners.

actually, I lied. I imagine most of us are genuinely nice. but there are some that I have my suspicions about. it's just that, you see, I've been surrounded by these overly effusive types at my work, the kind that lanterns aptly calls "creepy ham actors", who act like everything and everyone is sooooooo fabbbbbbbulllous, just for attention, and exposure to their type has made me a bit cynical.

one thing I will say about Canadians is that they respect your personal space like no one else. when im in a grocery store in any other part of the world, even England, I feel constantly jostled by people around me, always on edge that someone is going to come up too close to me or swoop in front of me or nudge me out of the way if ive stood in front of the chocolate section for a second too long. it feels bloody unnatural to me being from Canada where that kind of thing NEVER happens, no one EVER treads on your personal space and if they do they know very well to say "sorry" or "excuse me".
to be fair though, Canada is really, really big and only has 400 people
also, I'd like to apologize now for whatever future generation of my bloodthirsty country which invades Canada for all that land you not using and natural resources :brows:
but I think that'll all work out too in the end though, will prolly give most of it to China to pay the huge debt we owe them :thumb:

to be fair though, Canada is really, really big and only has 400 people
also, I'd like to apologize now for whatever future generation of my bloodthirsty country which invades Canada for all that land you not using and natural resources :brows:
but I think that'll all work out too in the end though, will prolly give most of it to China to pay the huge debt we owe them :thumb:
I thought we had already given it to china?

In 1986, when I was 9 years old.
I was a skater and I was always listening to the cassettes that they sold at the skateboard shops.
My favourite bands were Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, J.F.A., Crass, Discharge... And also Joy Division and Bauhaus.
Most of my friends liked Madonna and Cindy Lauper, but I simply enjoyed the music that the skateboard shops had.
A friend from school had an older brother who was an amateur DJ and he said that if I liked those bands, then I would probably like The Smiths, so he gave me a cassette with the first album of The Smiths... And I was amazed, it was perfect; they became my favourite band. I specially liked Morrissey's voice. I thought he was the best singer I have ever heard.
33 years later, I have not changed my mind.
Anyway, I was absolutely obsessed with The Smiths when I was a kid.

I feel like I should add that I lived in BC for 12 years.

Mostly in (and around Victoria), Cowichan Lake, and Nelson in the Kootenays.

BC is amazing!
I love all of the hippies and legalization is where we should be in 2019.

There's tons of good music and art scene on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.

Rifke is living in a bubble if she cannot see the culture around her on the coast.
I should say that I do love the Kootenays. that's what im talking about: mountains, that's what I love. are you familiar with Invermere?

I was a skater and I was always listening to the cassettes that they sold at the skateboard shops.
My favourite bands were Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, J.F.A., Crass, Discharge... And also Joy Division and Bauhaus.
Most of my friends liked Madonna and Cindy Lauper, but I simply enjoyed the music that the skateboard shops had.
A friend from school had an older brother who was an amateur DJ and he said that if I liked those bands, then I would probably like The Smiths, so he gave me a cassette with the first album of The Smiths... And I was amazed, it was perfect; they became my favourite band. I specially liked Morrissey's voice. I thought he was the best singer I have ever heard.
Thank you , thats how i am now !

Its funny that the British seem to have this stereotype of politeness and queuing nicely when actually pushing in front of people and general rudeness is far more common :lbf: except me of course

I should say that I do love the Kootenays. that's what im talking about: mountains, that's what I love. are you familiar with Invermere?
No , Whistler was about as far up as i went .
I did look it up and it does look beautiful , I went to Mt Washington when i was in Comox too .:)

No , Whistler was about as far up as i went .
I did look it up and it does look beautiful , I went to Mt Washington when i was in Comox too .:)
well, anyway, I am glad you enjoyed your time here and that you found the people nice. it's nice to hear!

as for when I discovered Morrissey, i'd say it was oh.... about 5 or 6 years ago. I had always heard about him, heard his name from hanging around david bowie forums, and always spoken in a negative tone, but I had never really bothered to look him up or find out who he was. I think I got him mixed up a lot with van morrison, whoever that is. then one day a person I didn't really like told me that I should listen to Morrissey because I was 'practically lady Morrissey', and i was like oh okay, whatever, because i don't like trying out new things: I stick to what I like and what I liked was david bowie and the cure. then finally I relented and condescended to look him up on youtube and that was when I happened upon was the "I have forgiven jesus" video. now if you know anything about me you know the special feeling I have in my heart for sexy men of god, which means that that particular video was and remains basically all my dreams come true. Morrissey as a priest?! Yes please!! so, that was that. an infatuation was born. went to see him in Dublin that same year, which was also the year he announced he had cancer, and I was quite certain he was going to die. it was just my luck, I had just discovered him and now we would both have to die, because obviously it was unthinkable to live in a world without him. well, thankfully that did not happen. now im going to go see him again in Vancouver in ten days! cant wait! wish I didn't have such a fat face!

Last edited:
well, anyway, I am glad you enjoyed your time here and that you found the people nice. it's nice to hear!

as for when I discovered Morrissey, i'd say it was oh.... about 5 or 6 years ago. I had always heard about him, heard his name from hanging around david bowie forums, and always spoken in a negative tone, but I had never really bothered to look him up or find out who he was. I think I got him mixed up a lot with van morrison, whoever that is. then one day a person I didn't really like told me that I should listen to Morrissey because I was 'practically lady Morrissey', and i was like oh okay, whatever, because i don't like trying out new things: I stick to what I like and what I liked was david bowie and the cure. then finally I relented and condescended to look him up on youtube and that was when I happened upon was the "I have forgiven jesus" video. now if you know anything about me you know the special feeling I have in my heart for sexy men of god, which means that that particular video was and remains basically all my dreams come true. Morrissey as a priest?! Yes please!! so, that was that. an infatuation was born. went to see him in Dublin that same year, which was also the year he announced he had cancer, and I was quite certain he was going to die. it was just my luck, I had just discovered him and now we would both have to die, because obviously it was unthinkable to live in a world without him. well, thankfully that did not happen. now im going to go see him again in Vancouver in ten days! cant wait! wish I didn't have such a fat face!
Thats a great story and beautifully told , i hope you feel better for getting the " sexy priest " thing out in the open :lbf:
Im sure the Vancouver show will be amazing , just keep your head down during the shirt throwing bit .
Fat face ? i wish my fat was just my face !!

Just watched Mid 90s last night and I can clearly see your 9 year old self. :)

Back
Top Bottom