Smiths cover to be released by Placebo

• Thread starter Deleted member 4260
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4260

Cover CD will include 'Big Mouth Strikes Again' as well as some other interesting covers. I don't think I've heard Placebo's version. I'll have to check that out on youtube later and hope for some luck.

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=44559_0_2_0_C

EDIT:
AWESOME. I spelled Smiths wrong in the title. I've just woken up so forgive me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Smits cover to be released by Placebo

Humm, very interesting :thumb: however,

Daddy Cool
- Originally performed by Boney M
:eek: :D

This could be posted on the main page, no?

"Bigmouth Strikes Again covered on Placebo album "Covers"

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=44559_0_2_0_C

For the very first time since its release as a limited bonus disc to the 2003 album "Sleeping With Ghosts", Placebo's "Covers" album will be made available physically as an album in its own right via Virgin/EMI Records. "Covers" brings together 10 songs which were featured as b-sides, radio sessions, on soundtracks and tribute albums. The bonus disc was available separately before as download via iTunes but an own CD release was needed so the band and label decided. The album will be available on CD at Mid Price.

Tracklisting:

1. Running Up That Hill
- Originally performed by Kate Bush
- Recorded especially for "Covers"
2. Where Is My Mind (XFM Live Version)
- Originally "This Picture"
3. Bigmouth Strikes Again
- Originally performed by The Smiths

- B-side to "Nancy Boy"
4. Johnny And Mary
- Originally by Robert Plamer
- B-side to "Taste In Men"
5. 20th Century Boy
- Originally by T-Rex
- Appeared on Velvet Goldmine soundtrack, plus b-side to "You Don't Care About Us"
6. The Ballad Of Melody Nelson ('Ballade De Melody Nelson')
- Originally performed by Serge Gainsbourg
- Recorded for the "Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited" album
7. Holocaust
- Originally performed by Alex Chilton
- B-side to "Slave To The Wage"
8. I Feel You
- Originally performed by Depeche Mode
- Released on a fan club-only cassette in 1999/ appeared on U.S. edition of "Black Market Music"
9. Daddy Cool
- Originally performed by Boney M
- B-side to "The Bitter End"
10. Jackie
- Originally performed by Sinéad O'Connor
- B-side on the DVD edition of the "The Picture" single

Well, the Bigmmouth cover has been out for years - it was on The Smiths Is Dead, Les Inrockuptibles CD.

P.

To be bluntly honest, I thought Placebo's cover was quite awful. :( I always try to keep an open mind about Smiths covers because I don't want to be one of those people who says "it's not the Smiths so it must be awful", but I didn't care for this in the slightest. To be fair though, it's extremely difficult (if not downright impossible) to really capture the magic The Smiths created first time around - the emotion just isn't there.

That said though, there are a couple of decent covers I've heard - The Ocean Blue's live cover of There is a light that never goes out in particular springs to mind as one of the better ones.

To be bluntly honest, I thought Placebo's cover was quite awful. :( I always try to keep an open mind about Smiths covers because I don't want to be one of those people who says "it's not the Smiths so it must be awful", but I didn't care for this in the slightest. To be fair though, it's extremely difficult (if not downright impossible) to really capture the magic The Smiths created first time around - the emotion just isn't there.

That said though, there are a couple of decent covers I've heard - The Ocean Blue's live cover of There is a light that never goes out in particular springs to mind as one of the better ones.
i do like their kate bush-running up that hill cover though

As well as on 'The Smiths Is Dead' compilation, wasn't this on a Placebo single cd release as the 'b side'? I'm pretty sure it was, as it's the only Placebo cd in my collection. I can't think of any other possible reason for me to have one ;)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I agree. I'm a huge Placebo fan but their cover of Bigmouth is awful. Where Is My Mind is a good one though. They did a good job on that one.

Cover CD will include 'Big Mouth Strikes Again' as well as some other interesting covers. I don't think I've heard Placebo's version. I'll have to check that out on youtube later and hope for some luck.

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=44559_0_2_0_C

EDIT:
AWESOME. I spelled Smiths wrong in the title. I've just woken up so forgive me.

it's at least at 'pure morning time' so definately not new

[havent read the other posts, someone sure posted it's old

Placebo's version is interesting and good.... but no version can hold a candle to Sandie Shaw's versions

Mr Nightie has just bought me that CD as a gift.... the Bigmouth sucks:blushing: (no pun intended), but Daddy Cool and 20th Century Boy are great:thumb:

Songs have already been released in one form or other individually (inc Bigmouth cover) or together on a giveaway disk, so nothing new.

Last edited:
As well as on 'The Smiths Is Dead' compilation, wasn't this on a Placebo single cd release as the 'b side'? I'm pretty sure it was, as it's the only Placebo cd in my collection. I can't think of any other possible reason for me to have one ;)

You're right, it's on the b side of Nancy Boy (not sure I like that juxtaposition!) it is the only Placebo CD single I've got too for the same reason! I have to say I DO like their version, particularly where he says 'my discman' and later 'my megadrive' instead of 'my walkman started to melt'...oh, and the thunderous drums and weird whistling noises at the end of the track are good too:)

Back
Top Bottom