Smiths and Morrissey pictures you may not have seen

21bjfgm.jpg

anotherpic can be found in the smithstorrents entry for irvine, scotland-was posted in the frink a few years ago..
for unseen pics many got posted in the frink or on morrissey_shot
edit: some found there(frink/shot) got scanned from fanzines/magsfor getting it posted on the frink/shot thread

clickimin.jpg

Last edited:
tumblr_l3p7ipfT8q1qzxfoqo1_500.jpg

Thank you, Franissey. I hadn't seen that one before.

To me this one was new and unfortunately I've only got a stamp sized version of it :(
bd29e7c2.jpg

It's by Nick Knight, 1985.
So, if somebody got bigger version, I'm grateful.

Just for info, the signing shot was taken at the KROQ radio interview that he gave in February 1990, whilst in town to shoot the 'November' promo video; the pompadour in it's most imperial phase.
Thanks for the little Nick. Afraid I have nothing bigger. Never knew that Nick Knight had shot M. He recently did the Lady Ga-Ga nudie shoot for 'Vanity Fair'.

Just for info, the signing shot was taken at the KROQ radio interview that he gave in February 1990, whilst in town to shoot the 'November' promo video; the pompadour in it's most imperial phase.
Thanks for the little Nick. Afraid I have nothing bigger. Never knew that Nick Knight had shot M. He recently did the Lady Ga-Ga nudie shoot for 'Vanity Fair'.

Thank you for the information about the signing picture.

One of Nick Knight's pictures of Morrissey belongs to National Portrait Gallery (London) collection. Just don't know which one, because 'web image not currently available'. It's sooo wrong!

You're welcome.
Here's another from the same day
90004.jpg

*curtsy Comtesse*

Oh, I don't have that last one - gotta add it to the gallery.

And the first one of dorky Moz in glasses is definitely real. It was scanned from Sounds magazine.

And here's an unsullied version of The Smiths shot up above. It was taken in 1983 at the Whitworth Art Museum by Joelle Depont (the same photographer who shot the portraits of Andy, Mike, and Johnny that graced the inner sleeve of the first LP).
earlyboys.jpg

Wow! The Smiths played in Shetland, is that for real ?

Yes. In 1985. This is one of Steve Catterall's photos. There's a great tale to it here.

Steve said:
The Ferry to the Shetlands leaves in the evening, takes about 14 hours and arrives early the next morning. Apart from our Party of 5, there were about 10 other people who we'd see at each stop on this tour, 6 of which were also on the Ferry, which gave us all a chance to get to know each other. There were 2 pairs of girls traveling together, and a married couple, who we learned were actually on their honeymoon, and had decided on a driving tour of Scotland rather than the more usual tropical beach. Being more sensible that the rest of us, they had opted for a berthed ticket, which meant when we'd tired of chatting and drinking, they got a cabin and a bed, while the rest of us had to make do with the benches in the main lounge. It was a long night.

Seven o'clock the next morning we're staggering bleary eyed onto the dock in Lerwick. Lerwick has a nice square harbour just outside the main town. It's only a few hundred yards to walk up from there to the main drag, and we take the first hotel we come to and book a room. The Hotel is more like a B&B than anything, my room is right at the back down a sloping corridor ... feels like I'm going into a bunker. But all I want is some sleep, and the bed is soft, which is all I really care about.

Everyone seems to surface around mid-day. Me and Paul wander down the main street, and end up in the pub, where we find everyone else. Not too many places to go to in this town. Get a drink and some lunch, and chat with the locals. They tell us that almost all the 'youngsters' will be going to tonight's show. Not many bands get out this far ... they get 2 or 3 shows a year, so everyone goes to everything.

After lunch we decide to check out the venue. The Clickimin Centre is just outside the main town, although it only takes 5 minutes to walk there. It's like a small sport centre standing in the middle of some rocky fields ... with lots of sheep running around, and the wind whistling down the slopes. We can hear the band inside doing their soundcheck. There's no security ... well, the sheep don't seem too bothered what we get up to, so we wander in. Inside it still looks like a sport centre ... wooden floor, steel struts ... probably even climbing frames on the walls. I'm kidding about that ... but that's the kind of atmosphere. I haven't brought my recorder with me, so we just watch the last few songs being soundchecked, and then wander up to chat to the Smiths as they sit around afterwards. They flew in that morning and it's obviously not the usual sort of gig for them either. It really does feel like we're on some sort of adventure together. We chat for about half an hour, and then the local press arrive and want to take some photos with the Clickimin staff who have appeared out of nowhere. We all troop outside where there's a small 'Clickiman Centre' sign, and the Smiths pose with and without the staff for the photographers. We also have our cameras and click away merrily. Afterwards we wander back in, and quite soon the Smiths are off, and we're back to the Hotel.

The gig is strange. As promised all the youth of Lerwick are down for the show. A complete mixture of people of all shapes and styles. The hall is nowhere near full, but there's a fair crowd down by the stage. Most of our lot gather down the front right had side of the stage. Most of the rest of the front of the hall is occupied by Heavy Metal fans ... studded belts and Iron Maiden T shirts, chanting away. Me and Paul retire to the soundboard to chat with Grant, and just before the show starts I wander off to stand in front on the left side speakers in clear space ... ideal for a good recording. When the Smiths come on, the mood is antagonistic. Most people are waiting to be entertained. The metal fans down the front are going to have fun by shouting insults. But the Smiths seem to see this as a challenge and play a blinding set. Morrissey is on top form with great barbed comments aimed at the Heavy Metal Louts. As they come out for the encore, he invites them all to leave, 'because you're boring'. Its a wonderful show to watch, and I feel I'm missing out having to stand out of the way recording. As 'Miserable lie' starts I can bear it no longer ... I need to participate. So I rush back to the soundboad, put my tape recorder and mic on the front of the board, and indicate to Grant that its there, so he can keep an eye on it. Then I'm off down the front. As I get there I have a vague idea that the locals should be seeing a typical Smiths gig, and that what's missing is a stage invasion. So I clamber onto the stage, and I'm followed by one of the girls. There's no security up there, and they're only half way through the song. So we bounce around the stage and end up dancing with Johnny until the song finishes. The smiths leave the venue, and we jump down from the stage. I'm immediately asked by one of the Heavy Metal Fans if we were 'part of the act'. Jo brings me down to earth by telling me I'd made a fool of myself, and that she's never seen anyone look so self-conscious. But really I couldn't care less ... best Smiths show I ever went to. In fact, next day at Aberdeen as the Smiths disembarked their coach for the soundcheck, Morrissey called over and thanked me for 'saving the show'. While I'm sure it was slightly tongue in cheek, it certainly made my day.

never before seen pictures

246rss2.jpg

15gasnp.jpg

13zwsnm.jpg

2w7jzt2.jpg

28tklqt.jpg

vwr9e9.jpg

2croa3b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: never before seen pictures

Those lips. :love: Cupid's bows need practice shooting arrows...on my mouth. :D

This is my new favorite photo of him "I jes want my boddle a booze. Leemee alone." It's very Bukowski in a way, and I LOVE those shoes.

Are they from the Passions Just Like Mine documentary by Kerri Koch?
It has a lovely part about some fans meeting Morrissey and following him to the alcohol store.

Yeah, they are from the documentary.

Morrissey was in Los Angeles and some fans spotted him.. They walked Morrissey to the liquor store and they walked him home..

During the walk Morrissey was asking them about the Mexican culture and asked the fans if they could one day take him to a Mexican restaurant

Yeah, they are from the documentary.

Morrissey was in Los Angeles and some fans spotted him.. They walked Morrissey to the liquor store and they walked him home..

During the walk Morrissey was asking them about the Mexican culture and asked the fans if they could one day take him to a Mexican restaurant

:p Max's in Azusa. But have a driver as the margarita will get you daahrunk!

Tags
photos
Back
Top Bottom