"Shoplifters Of The World" movie released (March 26, 2021)

"Shoplifters Of The World" is released today in theaters and on-demand

1987. Denver, Co. One crazy night in the life of four friends reeling from the sudden demise of iconic British band The Smiths, while the local airwaves are hijacked at gunpoint by an impassioned Smiths fan.

full

New reviews/media:
'shoplifters movie' tag - Previous reviews/media

Related items:

Can’t believe people on this site are complaining that the dialogue is made up from Smiths lyrics. Have you not read any posts on here? It’s how you speak.
True and how we spoke as teenagers - like a code.

I watched it....it was fine. Is it cheesy?....yes. Is it gonna win a bunch of Oscars?...no.

Enjoy a glass of wine and watch it.....its mindless entertainment in the middle of a pandemic.

Also, it beats another Halloween or insert-whatever-movie-du-jour Hollywood remakes too soon after the original....

I don't really care about it - just watching what people say about Morrissey.

As ever they're obsessing despite there being no reason to pay a film any attention if it's crap & he's evil.

Mostly people are being neutral or saying they loved the Smiths (some for the guitar 🙄). A few remarks that he's abhorrent or fascist. Some people saying they love him.

This stage is more depressing than full Pariah.

Always the chance he'll compound his problems & fade away... or just fade because he never really does anything outside his circle. 🙁

Are you kidding? Morrissey loves when someone, anyone wears a t-shirt with his face on it! He’ll love this! It’s a whole movie about people who love him!
Yes, in the press he can't be nasty about it, of course. But inside he is completely embarrassed that this movie is not very good. Morrissey knows good cinema and this is not it. That is the thing that is so interesting.

Can’t believe people on this site are complaining that the dialogue is made up from Smiths lyrics. Have you not read any posts on here? It’s how you speak.
Really people say a Smiths lyric 1/3 of their speech? I am ok with some lines here and there but not in a 3rd of the movie. It was like the "F-word" in a Tarantino film.

This might be the only picture I can remember seein' where
the end credits was the best part.
This thing had 50 executive producers.
Whoever gave some money got to be an executive producer.
It is kinda weird that they would take a shot at Moz in the picture,
when he went ahead and ok'ed the music for'em.

As ever they're obsessing despite there being no reason to pay a film any attention if it's crap & he's evil.

Mostly people are being neutral or saying they loved the Smiths (some for the guitar 🙄). A few remarks that he's abhorrent or fascist. Some people saying they love him.

Always the chance he'll compound his problems & fade away... or just fade because he never really does anything outside his circle. 🙁

The hate that Morrissey has been spewing is a disaster for this movie. They couldn't have launched this movie into a more hostile environment. Luckily, it's gotten some good reviews in big papers like the LA Times and the NY Times, hopefully that's enough for people not familiar with the Smiths to go see it. Morrissey and Marr have already been paid, so there's that. I can picture this as a midnight movie in decades to come.

This might be the only picture I can remember seein' where
the end credits was the best part.
This thing had 50 executive producers.
Whoever gave some money got to be an executive producer.
It is kinda weird that they would take a shot at Moz in the picture,
when he went ahead and ok'ed the music for'em.

Were they mean to him?

They just had this part where the DJ tells the Kid somethin' like
"Your hero's will grow up to disappoint you kid, they'll say dumb
things and betray you."
Pretty obvious it was about Moz.

Bastards.

It's not even accurate - he'd already been denounced before the Smiths split up.

The hate that Morrissey has been spewing is a disaster for this movie. They couldn't have launched this movie into a more hostile environment. Luckily, it's gotten some good reviews in big papers like the LA Times and the NY Times, hopefully that's enough for people not familiar with the Smiths to go see it. Morrissey and Marr have already been paid, so there's that. I can picture this as a midnight movie in decades to come.

He hasn't spewed any hate & hasn't said anything political for nearly two years.

its ok for a one time watch,it wont change your life.

Watched it on Amazon Prime last night. Meh...mildly entertaining, especially for those of us who were teenagers in the mid-‘80s, but obviously the best part is simply the music and the clips of Morrissey and Marr themselves from the time. It won’t go down in celluloid history as a high water mark, but I’ve seen worse films...including ones about Morrissey/Smiths fans (Anyone see the atrocious “My Life With Morrissey” from about 15 years ago?).

Screenshot_20210328-004657~2.png
Screenshot_20210328-004435~2.png

Watched it last night. If it wasn’t for the music, the interspersed interview clips and the scenes with the DJ, this would definitely rank among the very worst films I have ever seen. The amount of secondhand embarrassment anytime that Cleo character was on screen was staggering. Unspeakably unsympathetic character, and the actress did an appalling job. She was a disgrace. Furthermore, the dialogue was ridiculous and so very contrived with all of the quotes and references. Someone said that Moz should’ve gotten a co-writing credit and I agree. Again, secondhand embarrassment.
Let’s see, what else? All of the other characters were lightweight and hollow, all played by people who really should take a few more classes in acting school. And the plot was almost nonexistent.

It’s hard to fathom how this film was ever released. What’s even harder to grasp is the fact that they were able to get the go-ahead from Moz and Marr and still didn’t make a better film than this. They should frankly be ashamed of themselves. Talk about a missed opportunity.

Should I wait until I have to pay 99p
To watch this Karen.... your view
Is far more important than most on here??

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom