"Shoplifters Of The World" movie released (March 26, 2021)

"Shoplifters Of The World" is released today in theaters and on-demand

1987. Denver, Co. One crazy night in the life of four friends reeling from the sudden demise of iconic British band The Smiths, while the local airwaves are hijacked at gunpoint by an impassioned Smiths fan.

full

New reviews/media:
'shoplifters movie' tag - Previous reviews/media

Related items:

i will watch it if i come across it this weekend.

Was thinking earlier this week...

Another Smiths related release out around the same time as a mass shooting i.e.: Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before.

Was thinking earlier this week...

Another Smiths related release out around the same time as a mass shooting i.e.: Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before.
When is there not a mass shooting? We don't even talk about the smaller ones anymore.

This film was being discussed here in 2012 and 9 years later, I can't say the time taken has really yielded anything special.
Self-indulgent love letter about sums it up.
I can see why Russell Brand might have declined, but it will light someone's candle I'm sure.
Regards,
FWD.

The very best thing about this movie is the songs and the clips from the South Bank Show. Literally, 1/3 of the dialog is quotes from songs? WHY??? WHY??? Morrissey can't be happy about this clunky mess of a movie. It's great that it's a movie inspired by The Smiths but damn did it have to be so embarrassing! This reminds me of a Smiths night in Nottingham in the 90's. You are there to observe, but feel so embarrassed that these people like the same band. At the least, you know nobody will see this film so you don't have to answer a bunch of silly questions at work the next day.

***I think they should make Morrissey a co-writer! If you can get paid on a song sample then Morrissey should be paid as a writer.

Last edited:
I just finished watching it. It was a horrible movie for a non-Smiths fan. For a Smiths fan (like me), the only thing that made it tolerable were the lyrics. The use of lyrics as dialogue was so bad that it was cringe-worthy funny....like a dad joke.

It was great to see cameos by Thomas Lennon and the lead singer of the Sweet & Tender Hooligans though.

The very best thing about this movie is the songs and the clips from the South Bank Show. Literally, 1/3 of the dialog is quotes from songs? WHY??? WHY??? Morrissey can't be happy about this clunky mess of a movie. It's great that it's a movie inspired by The Smiths but damn did it have to be so embarrassing! This reminds me of a Smiths night in Nottingham in the 90's. You are there to observe, but feel so embarrassed that these people like the same band. At the least, you know nobody will see this film so you don't have to answer a bunch of silly questions at work the next day.

Are you kidding? Morrissey loves when someone, anyone wears a t-shirt with his face on it! He’ll love this! It’s a whole movie about people who love him!

Think I'll skip this one, the reviews on here aren't exactly filling me with confidence :/

They force a lot of lyrics into the dialogue but the record store owner giving the guy a crack on the head for asking was one if the more subtle inclusions.

Currently getting a right bashing on Twitter, as is Moz. Amazes me when people say “love The Smiths, hate Morrissey” as if they can be separated. Morrissey is The Smiths just as Johnny is The Smiths. No one else could have wrote those lyrics just as no one else could’ve wrote the music other than Johnny! If you love The Smiths then you love Steven Morrissey, whether you want to or not.

I'm afraid I have close to zero faith in the entertainment industry, even the indie arms, producing anything decent at this point in time. Life is precious. I'd rather talk to you people on the forum who have something to say than succumb to any not-so-hidden agendas behind the film. And the plot itself is botched from the start plainly, because the gun wielding fan was more peaceful by giving up his gun than the producers' liked so they conveniently made him into something else. The dialogue critiques make my heart heavy. Truly a hell no to this one.

Can’t believe people on this site are complaining that the dialogue is made up from Smiths lyrics. Have you not read any posts on here? It’s how you speak.

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom