Morrissey Central (& SER YT): "DAVEY THE WIND BLOWS BITS OF YOUR LIFE AWAY" (July 2, 2020)

20200702_094132.jpg

"We hadn’t rehearsed the song. David called me at my hotel and we tried to duet down the phone, which became very funny because David couldn’t remember the words, but on the night it was me who forgot and David remembered. You can see a slight disapproval from him when I repeat and repeat the wrong lines … his look says ‘you shouldn’t be singing that bit again’. This clip is my 4th favorite memory of David. It’s nice that Ron and Russell are in there too, but Russell looks irked … I expect he was missing the concluding sequel of that night’s Columbo.”
Morrissey 30 June 2020"

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Bowie & Iggy.

Music/Words.

Iggy wrote the words.

‘Despite being one of Bowie’s best-known songs, ‘China Girl’ owes much of its success to two other musicians. Iggy Pop wrote the lyrics to Bowie’s music in 1977, while Nile Rodgers turned it into a modern pop classic at the end of 1982.

“The song was written during the sessions for The Idiot at Château d’Hérouville near Paris, which took place in June and July 1977. The song’s working title was ‘Borderline’, before Pop wrote a new set of lyrics and retitled it ‘China Girl’.”

“An extraordinary lyric, and it was really sort of thrown out as he was writing it. It was literally thrown out on the recording session, almost verbatim. He changed maybe three or four lines. But it is an extraordinary talent that he has for spontaneous free thought.”

- David Bowie

First of all, it is a blessing that camp Morrissey is finally showing a musical sign of life. A fascinating find from a time when the world was turning a bit slower and a video recording was something very special. No mobile phones in the audience!!! Morrissey is visibly taken with it and literally adores Bowie. The Thin White Duke, you have to say it so clearly, unpacks his trademarks at some point in the song, gives you goose bumps and makes the version a memorable event. More of that please.

First of all, it is a blessing that camp Morrissey is finally showing a musical sign of life. A fascinating find from a time when the world was turning a bit slower and a video recording was something very special. No mobile phones in the audience!!! Morrissey is visibly taken with it and literally adores Bowie. The Thin White Duke, you have to say it so clearly, unpacks his trademarks at some point in the song, gives you goose bumps and makes the version a memorable event. More of that please.

Yes, more of that please. rather than the current Tommy Robinson loving, Kevin Spacey defending, immigrant hating, Enoch Powell wannabe that currently infests Morrissey's body.

Incredible footage. Two GOATs, and they had this in common: they willed themselves into their own images, and they did it flawlessly. Afterwards, Morrissey running down the hallway, shirtless, with a towel on his head, and Bowie, strolling in a suit, ice in his veins.

Seeing this, I remember who Morrissey was (or, at least, who he seemed to be); listening to it, Bowie's deep, cold, resonant voice works, but Morrissey: god, what a phenomenal singer he was (and, to a certain extent, still is). Just so in the moment, just so alive.

Morrissey's recent behavior has managed to almost obscure these memories for me. Bowie, at the end, magnified them.

You have to imagine how long ago that was. You can't imagine Morrissey (anymore) making room on stage for another alpha male. Almost in love and moved at the same time, he leaves more than enough space for the Tin Machine frontman :) who makes this Bolan song his own, just like Morrissey does. All this in one performance and on top of that a young Boz Boorer, who strikes the simple but effective chords and takes over the high parts. My God, I don't always want to be like "Everything used to be better" but those were just different times, without maximum minute overstimulation and with the possibility that two men could... how shall I say... bewitch each other live on stage over a song (without screens, special effects or wtf). Of course Bowie is always master of the gift and patronizes the young Adonis.

Linder, The Sparks...they are all there with him backstage. Those were the days my friends.

Last edited:
That's a lovely video for all sorts of reasons. Morrissey comes accross well when he's magnanimous instead of scornful .

^Bowie was over-rated because you don’t like his voice? How many songs has Melvis written? ZERO. The only thing that differentiates Melvis from a karaoke singer is that he used to rape poets for lyrics which were decent. Long past days.

David Bowie is more successful in death than Melvis will ever be. ...and there’s absolutely no contest, where the music behind the tracks, or the band is concerned.

Bite your tongue, Heathen.

Sounds like you're a bit triggered there snowflake. Its fine if you like his horrible voice.

I know, but it's Bowies rendition that is being featured in The Telegraph. He and Iggy P have a lot in common when it comes to the age of consent.

Ok. Just saying that the telegraph is technically going after the wrong person in regards to the lyrics of China Girl, even if they, like most rock stars from the 60’s had sexual relationships
with people that could and should be considered by most as being too young.

Though I haven’t read the article, I’m thinking that article is not about the age of consent(?) in regards to the China Girl lyrics.

You have to imagine how long ago that was. You can't imagine Morrissey (anymore) making room on stage for another alpha male. Almost in love and moved at the same time, he leaves more than enough space for the Tin Machine frontman :) who makes this Bolan song his own, just like Morrissey does. All this in one performance and on top of that a young Boz Boorer, who strikes the simple but effective chords and takes over the high parts. My God, I don't always want to be like "Everything used to be better" but those were just different times, without maximum minute overstimulation and with the possibility that two men could... how shall I say... bewitch each other live on stage over a song (without screens, special effects or wtf). Of course Bowie is always master of the gift and patronizes the young Adonis.

Linder, The Sparks...they are all there with him backstage. Those were the days my friends.

We thought they'd never end...? ;)

Apart from all the rest, this is an important historical record of the Two Greatest Barnets in the World c.1991. It belongs in a museum.

Bowie's is immaculate in the footage, Morrissey's less so given he's been thrashing around for 60 minutes. Presumably, he was making Bowie et al wait in the corridor while Debbie D worked her magic...

Incredible footage. Two GOATs, and they had this in common: they willed themselves into their own images, and they did it flawlessly. Afterwards, Morrissey running down the hallway, shirtless, with a towel on his head, and Bowie, strolling in a suit, ice in his veins.

Seeing this, I remember who Morrissey was (or, at least, who he seemed to be); listening to it, Bowie's deep, cold, resonant voice works, but Morrissey: god, what a phenomenal singer he was (and, to a certain extent, still is). Just so in the moment, just so alive.

Morrissey's recent behavior has managed to almost obscure these memories for me. Bowie, at the end, magnified them.

Immaculate self-actualisers, as old Jung might say.

í wouldn't necessarily want to share a dressing-room with them, but on stage they are...mesmeric.

Apart from all the rest, this is an important historical record of the Two Greatest Barnets in the World c.1991. It belongs in a museum.

Bowie's is immaculate in the footage, Morrissey's less so given he's been thrashing around for 60 minutes. Presumably, he was making Bowie et al wait in the corridor while Debbie D worked her magic...

Didn’t know Debbie was with him on the Uncle tour.

Even Linder wasn’t allowed in.

Surprised to see Coco there, too bad she’ll never write the book.

I haven't watched any footage of "younger" Bowie in a while and I'm stunned at how beautiful he is here. Not only the hair, everything about his appearance. Truly out of this world.
It's astonishing that Morrissey manages to keep it together after that smile Bowie gives him when he touches his shoulder.

Not that Morrissey is any less beautiful, but he never had the same type of supernatural presence.
Maybe it's Bowie's confidence that gives him the extra touch of extraterrestrial charisma...

Morrissey, your time is up. Your xenophobic ways appeal to only a few fans.
Your comment deepens my love for Morrissey. For that, I thank you. I'm sure Morrissey thanks you too. Keep the negative comments coming. When the next post appears, please just copy and paste your statement.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom