School blocks cervical cancer jabs

chica

v2.0
A CATHOLIC school has become the first in the country to block a project to vaccinate girls against cervical cancer.

Governors of St Monica's High School in Bury - who have previously criticised the jab for `encouraging sexual promiscuity' - have decided they don't want pupils vaccinated on school grounds.

The government plans to give injections to girls aged 12 and 13 to protect them against the sexually-
transmitted papilloma virus, linked to cervical cancer.

Experts believe the programme, which consists of three injections over six months, will eventually save hundreds of lives a year.

The programme has already started in some parts of the country, including Oldham, and pupils in Bury are expected to begin vaccinations over the next few weeks.

But governors at 1,200-pupil St Monica's High have sent a letter to parents outlining objections.

The letter points out that the vaccine protects against only 70 per cent of cervical cancers, and gives details of possible side-effects to the jab.

The letter from chair of governors Martin Browne says: "We do not believe that school is the right place for the three injections to be administered.

"Therefore, governors have taken the decision not to allow the school premises to be used for this programme."

It does not mention any moral objections, but speaking about the pilot scheme last year, school governor Monsignor John Allen said pupils were being used as `guinea pigs'.

He said: "Morally it seems to be a sticking plaster response. Parents must consider the knock-on effect of encouraging sexual promiscuity

"Instead of taking it for granted that teenagers will engage in sexual activity, we can offer a vision of a full life keeping yourself for a lifelong partnership in marriage."

The school's stance comes despite support for the injections from the Salford Diocese and the Church nationally.

Governors confirmed they had discussed the vaccine at a recent meeting, but head Frank McCarron was unavailable for comment

The M.E.N. could not contact Mr Browne and no one at the school was willing to comment.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1068563_school_blocks_cervical_cancer_jabs

____________________​

I have to admit they're right. What will happen if teenage girls stop thinking "wait, I don't want to get cervical cancer some time in the future, and since I may be exposed to HPV if I have sex now, I'd better not do it after all".

A CATHOLIC school has become the first in the country to block a project to vaccinate girls against cervical cancer.

Governors of St Monica's High School in Bury - who have previously criticised the jab for `encouraging sexual promiscuity' - have decided they don't want pupils vaccinated on school grounds.

The government plans to give injections to girls aged 12 and 13 to protect them against the sexually-
transmitted papilloma virus, linked to cervical cancer.

Experts believe the programme, which consists of three injections over six months, will eventually save hundreds of lives a year.

The programme has already started in some parts of the country, including Oldham, and pupils in Bury are expected to begin vaccinations over the next few weeks.

But governors at 1,200-pupil St Monica's High have sent a letter to parents outlining objections.

The letter points out that the vaccine protects against only 70 per cent of cervical cancers, and gives details of possible side-effects to the jab.

The letter from chair of governors Martin Browne says: "We do not believe that school is the right place for the three injections to be administered.

"Therefore, governors have taken the decision not to allow the school premises to be used for this programme."

It does not mention any moral objections, but speaking about the pilot scheme last year, school governor Monsignor John Allen said pupils were being used as `guinea pigs'.

He said: "Morally it seems to be a sticking plaster response. Parents must consider the knock-on effect of encouraging sexual promiscuity

"Instead of taking it for granted that teenagers will engage in sexual activity, we can offer a vision of a full life keeping yourself for a lifelong partnership in marriage."

The school's stance comes despite support for the injections from the Salford Diocese and the Church nationally.

Governors confirmed they had discussed the vaccine at a recent meeting, but head Frank McCarron was unavailable for comment

The M.E.N. could not contact Mr Browne and no one at the school was willing to comment.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1068563_school_blocks_cervical_cancer_jabs

____________________​

I have to admit they're right. What will happen if teenage girls stop thinking "wait, I don't want to get cervical cancer some time in the future, and since I may be exposed to HPV if I have sex now, I'd better not do it after all".

I was discussing this with my friends today, and we thought that all schoolgirls should be vaccinated, not just 12- and 13-year-olds. To be honest, I don't think that the thought, 'I won't get HPV, I can go on and have sex.' ever enters most sexually active teenage girls' heads (note most, not all).

teaching abstinence never works, and such programs will not encourage more to have sex,those who will want sex will have sex and those who do not will not have sex.

i am not so sure about this, but i think education should involve both safe sex practices and abstaining.the better road to take is abstaining but if you are going to go and have sex,at least go about it in a safe and wise way.

I can't remember what sex education, if any, was taught at my Catholic school. All I know is that being a shy dork with a Beatles haircut was far more effective than any abstinence education.

true, i was a indie art nerd who was extremely fat till i was 17, that was very effective in its own right.:p

I've just signed the form for my daughter to have hers next week.

Immunisation is so important.

I know a lady whose baby was born deaf because she came into contact with a child with Rubella.The mother of that child's selfishness is astounding.

I hope one day there's a vaccine for ovarian cancer too because there are no symptoms early on a nd when you do get them its too late.

I hope one day there's a vaccine for ovarian cancer too because there are no symptoms early on a nd when you do get them its too late.

I don't think it's caused by an infection, but birth control pills are quite good at preventing it.

The point is, the vaccine has to be given at some point before the woman first has intercourse. And it's fair to presume that she will eventually have intercourse, later as an adult.

How about do it when they're young and don't tell them exactly what it is? My kids don't know every shot they get.

The point is, the vaccine has to be given at some point before the woman first has intercourse. And it's fair to presume that she will eventually have intercourse, later as an adult.

How about do it when they're young and don't tell them exactly what it is? My kids don't know every shot they get.

Most kids wouldn't even care if you did tell them.

My girls are getting this vaccine the instant they become eligible for it.

Agreed

Most kids wouldn't even care if you did tell them.

My girls are getting this vaccine the instant they become eligible for it.

Mine too

This is outrageous, and further proof, if any were needed, of the blight of so-called 'faith schools' in the British state education system. We are supposed to be one of Europe's most secular nations - and yet we're allowing ignorance and misinformation to ruin the lives of our children.

There aren't that many good things I can say about education in France, but this could never happen there, as secularism in state affairs is protected in the constitution.

This is a pox on Britain's otherwise enviable school system, and it must stop.

Coiff.

I know a lady whose baby was born deaf because she came into contact with a child with Rubella.The mother of that child's selfishness is astounding.

the mother should really have had the foetus aborted rather than brought another crip into the world. selfish bitch. what a retard.

teaching abstinence never works, and such programs will not encourage more to have sex,those who will want sex will have sex and those who do not will not have sex.

i am not so sure about this, but i think education should involve both safe sex practices and abstaining.the better road to take is abstaining but if you are going to go and have sex,at least go about it in a safe and wise way.

I don't mean to argue or disagree with you, just seeking clarification...what do you mean "teaching abstinence never works"? I have heard this from others, not just you.

Just like teaching algebra; algebra works if the theories/axioms/rules are properly applied; if the rules aren't followed the solution is incorrect. Abstinence works if it's "rules" are applied.

I agree that education should involve both safe sex practices and abstaining. Abstaining is the best way to avoid pregnancy and sexual diseases, but there will be a time, even if it is after marriage, if one waits that long, when one will become sexually active. Safe sex practices are just as important then, if one doesn't want to become pregnant during their honeymoon.

I don't mean to argue or disagree with you, just seeking clarification...what do you mean "teaching abstinence never works"? I have heard this from others, not just you.

Just like teaching algebra; algebra works if the theories/axioms/rules are properly applied; if the rules aren't followed the solution is incorrect. Abstinence works if it's "rules" are applied.

I agree that education should involve both safe sex practices and abstaining. Abstaining is the best way to avoid pregnancy and sexual diseases, but there will be a time, even if it is after marriage, if one waits that long, when one will become sexually active. Safe sex practices are just as important then, if one doesn't want to become pregnant during their honeymoon.

what i meant is, many propose a simple "just abstain from sex" teaching philosophy,i think many kids will have sex anyways, i don't think they will be swayed by classes telling them to abstain, that is why i think a mixing of the two usual outlooks would be more effective.
generally kids are told to abstain,that sex is bad,and evil,and yeah 13 year olds should not be having sex, but some will.
there always seems to be this fear of teaching children how to protect themselves as if that is going to promote them to go off and have sex.

i think they would anyways.not all,but some would.no matter what they are taught.yes, the safest thing to avoid stds and pregnancy is no sex,but we all know that is not going to happen with everyone

good example of abstain only" not working is Sarah Palin's daughter.despite everything her mother taught her,no matter what she may have been told, she stillwent and had sex with her boyfriend.

I'm quite glad that I didn't get this vaccine. I've been reading about it and there have been over 3,500 adverse reactions from it. Everything from paralysis and seizures to blood clots and death. A few women that got it while pregnant had spontaneous miscarriages and fetal abnormities.

I really wish there was more long term testing with these drugs before they get pushed towards you.

Back
Top Bottom