Sasha Lane and other cast for "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" by Stephen Kijak - THR

'American Honey' Breakout Sasha Lane to Star in 'Shoplifters of the World' (Exclusive) - The Hollywood Reporter

Excerpt:

American Honey breakout Sasha Lane has lined up her next project.

Lane, who was plucked from obscurity to star in the Cannes Film Festival darling opposite Shia LaBeouf, will head up the cast of Shoplifters of the World.

Written and directed by music documentarian Stephen Kijak, Shoplifters chronicles a fateful day in 1987, when Morrissey announced that The Smiths were officially no longer a band. Fueled by his own sadness and his love for a girl, a young boy brings a gun to a radio station and demands the DJ play The Smiths for the rest of the night.

Nick Krause (The Descendants), Isabelle Fuhrman (Orphan), Ellar Coltrane (Boyhood) and Joe Manganiello (Magic Mike) also are on board to co-star. Manganiello, who will play the DJ, is producing as well alongside Nick Manganiello and Laura Rister (Lawless).

Production is scheduled to begin in winter.

39105_sasha_lane_getty_h_2016.jpg

Mike also sends the link:

A Morrissey film is being made – and it’s called ‘Shoplifters of the World Unite’! - TimeOut London

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like handbags for very small people.

Could be good. As long as it's made clear why he wanted the Smiths played and the importance of that band for this man. Though I'm afraid the focus of the film will be on the typical drama in heterosexual relationships ordinary boys and ordinary girls and guns thrown in for that dangerous glamorous touch, cliche.
The thing that would save this film is if they were to go into the psychology of the upset fan and his love for the music of the Smiths as far as giving it an angle interesting enough to be worth watching.

It could be great. The director made the Scott Walker documentary 30th Century Man which I loved.

It baffles me what gets made into films these days.
Exactly. There's niche but this is pulling the piss. I've been a Moz fan since around 1987 and have zero interest in going to this film in the cinema. If you held a gun to my head I still wouldn't go. Maybe they could make a film about a Moz fan who refused to go to the cinema at gunpoint to see a film about a guy holding a radio station at gunpoint.

Could be good. As long as it's made clear why he wanted the Smiths played and the importance of that band for this man. Though I'm afraid the focus of the film will be on the typical drama in heterosexual relationships ordinary boys and ordinary girls and guns thrown in for that dangerous glamorous touch, cliche.
The thing that would save this film is if they were to go into the psychology of the upset fan and his love for the music of the Smiths as far as giving it an angle interesting enough to be worth watching.
I'd sooner chop my head off and microwave it.

after or before they hold a gun up to it ? ;)

In stead of. :cool:
He is really desperate. I do understand him. :thumb:
I really like the Walker Brothers and Scott Walker and if a documentary of Moz could be made with the same person I would have an exiting feeling about it.
But this is not really about The Smiths or Moz, isn't?
Unfortunately :(

Yes a biopic. But the only ones who would watch that are most likely going to be fans (more or less) already. What I like about a film is that some people might be caught unaware who the Smiths are, will enjoy the music and want to know more about them. A kind of covert action to convert the unknowing innocent masses ! :)

Ah, that is a nice thought!

would be nice if the the Smiths single 'shoplifter of the world unite and take over ' get's released when the movie is gonna get to the movies.

as was written and give it a 'like' an autobiography of the Smithstory would get me to the cinema...the songs and permission to use them would make the recording producer insane...

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom