Russell Mael 'disillusioned’ by Morrissey’s recent comments

Sparks singer ‘disillusioned’ by Morrissey comments - BT
The former Smiths singer is a long-time admirer of Russell and Ron Mael’s music.

Excerpt:

Sparks singer Russell Mael has described comments Morrissey made in April about politics and race and last year in response to the Manchester terror attack as “ill-conceived and wrong”.

Mael, whose pop-rock band is famously beloved by the former Smiths singer and who is a fan of Morrissey himself, added that he “does not understand” the remarks.

Morrissey recently made comments where he suggested people should give far-right political party For Britain a chance and that halal meat production required “certification that can only be given by supporters of Isis”.

Following the bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in the Manchester Arena in May 2017, the singer implied in a statement that politicians were scared to call the attacker an Islamist extremist.

Asked for his thoughts on the singer’s comments, Mael told the Press Association: “I’m totally in agreement with anybody being disillusioned because I am as well.

“It seemed so inconsistent, all these perspectives that he has on those various issues, just stupid, dumb kind of things.

“I obviously don’t agree with any of these things. They’re just so ill-conceived and wrong.”

He added: “It’s just a pity. When you’re a fan of somebody you want to be a fan in all sorts of ways.

“You may be like ‘I still really like the music, but the person, I can’t agree with their stance’.

“I’m like all the people that don’t understand what is in his mind. I don’t understand.”

sparks-singer-disillusioned-by-morrissey-comments-136427349287640701-180522143012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was Russell I would take more offence at Morrissey saying he went off sparks when they ‘went disco’. No1 In Heaven is one of the greatest albums ever created.

What is it with all these respected musicians slagging Morrissey off? I don't get it. I mean, you only have racist arseholes praising him these days. Have I missed something?

What is it with all these respected musicians slagging Morrissey off? I don't get it. I mean, you only have racist arseholes praising him these days. Have I missed something?
Yeah, you've missed the fact this is a Morrissey fan site. If you don't like him or what he's about f*** off.

Back from humping on the football! Splendid! Put a tie on and go look for a job.:nomouth:

Left wing folk movement musicians slagged Bob Dylan off and called him "Judas" back in the day when they realized he wouldn't conform to their community. So what? Far left ideologues have always been afraid of diversity of thought. I have no doubt if UncleSkanky had any real power he'd have Fidel Castro style prisons full of people committing so-called "thought crimes", or send millions to Gulags like the Soviets.
Morrissey is not racist, and repeating that smear over and over again is never gonna make him one.
Maybe UncleSkanky should ask Moby why there are so many refugees from the Middle East in the first place. Is it because Senator and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, whom Moby campaigned and raised funds for, caused so much destruction in Iraq, Libya, Syria, etc etc etc?
Morrissey was writing songs telling those deranged politicians in America and the UK not to do that.

Last edited:
Let's just say it would be more of a naturally human response rather than the frankly weird peace-and-love-and-do-nothing charade of the moment. Assad has chemical weapons! - quick, get in there with the warships and blast the crap out of the place. A bomb that intentionally kills and maims children in Manchester - say nothing, do nothing and humbly love thy neighbour. Double standards.

What nationality and religion are you? Can I lump you in with the worst actions of people who aren't you and burn down your church or home as a result? If your natural emotion is to burn down the places or worship of innocent people, you have (to use Russell Mael's word) an ill-conceived view of right and wrong.

Last edited:
You, or any of the "respected musicians" are not better of worse than him. Are you f***ing 14 year old? What middle aged man goes on and on about hating someone. And for what? Voicing his opinion? So much understanding coming from a typical loonie leftie. YOU ARE the bigot here.
Morrissey didn't harm anyone so what's all this hatred for? I am considering quitting this stupid site. After all, no genuine fan of Morrissey should be hanging around here.
https://i3.cpcache.com/product/550903748/f***_morrisseysolocom_womens_boy_brief.jpg?color=RedWhite

What nationality and religion are you? Can I lump you in with the worst actions of people who aren't you and burn down your church or home as a result? If your natural emotion is to burn down the places or worship of innocent people, you have (to use Russell Mael's word) an ill-conceived view of right and wrong.

When you have a cancer, do you let it fester or cut it out?

When you have a cancer, do you let it fester or cut it out?

That doesn't really answer what Bacon was saying though. You could say that British and American people are all responsible for destabilizing the Middle East and the World with it. You could say that all Catholics are perverts because the Church threw their serial nonce Priests into communities and kept their activities secret. Or American men are all likely to murder packs of school children.

If a person is the sort who wants to just focus on Muslims that's their lookout but for me that just puts them in the same boat as nutty Islamists who put us all in the same boat for the actions of the likes of Blair. Both sorts just feed each other.

Bad people do bad things but they're the only people responsible for their actions.

Ok, Skinny,
How about if we lump Dong DHs like Sparks with the good actions of good normal people instead of the Dong DH group where they naturally belong? What if I lumped you and the Chezz into the normal people group. That wouldnt be too good for good normal peeps, now would it.:crazy:

Geez these Dong nutters cant find their way to the New Order forum.:kissingclosed:

That doesn't really answer what Bacon was saying though. You could say that British and American people are all responsible for destabilizing the Middle East and the World with it. You could say that all Catholics are perverts because the Church threw their serial nonce Priests into communities and kept their activities secret. Or American men are all likely to murder packs of school children.

If a person is the sort who wants to just focus on Muslims that's their lookout but for me that just puts them in the same boat as nutty Islamists who put us all in the same boat for the actions of the likes of Blair. Both sorts just feed each other.

Bad people do bad things but they're the only people responsible for their actions.

Not all Catholics are obviously kiddie fiddlers but there is a problem within the Catholic church and they are starting to address it and atone. Until the same happens with Muslims and their attitudes to Islam, nothing will change. Nothing short of a religious reformation will stop the violence.

Not all Catholics are obviously kiddie fiddlers but there is a problem within the Catholic church and they are starting to address it and atone. Until the same happens with Muslims and their attitudes to Islam, nothing will change. Nothing short of a religious reformation will stop the violence.

You could argue nothing short of us stopping f***ing up the Middle East will stop the violence.

Btw, the vast majority of Muslims are obviously not supportive of the nutty few.

Bad people do bad things but they're the only people responsible for their actions.[/QUOTE]

To a degree. But most terrorists or anyone in an extreme group have been "groomed" to believe in a certain way, which is why young men are so susceptible. Story old as time - indoctrinaton and the mis-use of youth.

Right because the Middle East historically been an area permeated by peace:lbf::lbf:
and tranquility:lbf::lbf:

Must have been the luck of the draw that made the Muslim Empire siding with
the Kaier in WW1.
Maybe we should have given them a :trophy::crazy:

I simply said I was surprised at the public response to such a shocking attack. Never before in this country has a bomb been solely aimed at young children. If the government had printed up a propaganda guideline entitled how to civilly respond to a bomb that has killed and maimed dozens of your town's children then the response of the public couldn't have been enacted more faithfully.
Let's just say a white person bombed a joyous Muslim celebration full of little Muslim girls, would the response be similar? Never. There would be emotion-driven pandemonium. Murder gangs on the prowl, buildings burning up and down the land and the army in the streets.
I'll repeat again, I found the public response surprising. It was actually very Christian. I can't imagine the response being as peaceful, loving, forgiving and understanding in any other part of the world.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom