Rolling Stone Germany review by Arne Willander - IANADOC 4/5

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
My clear vinyl arrived in the post today. I have only listened to it once, and my favorite track currently is The Truth About Ruth. I also think some of the lyrics are embarrassing... Enjoyed California Son much more.
I think his voice is clearest on ruth which is what I like about joe chics production.
tues joke-theres that many shops boarded up in my town centre the window cleaner carries a sander.haha.
tues joke 2-greggs have started a home delivery service using drones,,,sounds a bit pie in the sky to me.haha.
one more-a friend of mine has been put on one of those ventilators that dyson have invented for corona virus-doc said hes picking up nicley now.haha. thats me done,shows over.

Last edited:
Have we posted this review from Punknews? I can't remember any more.

I kind of agree with it - but I'm curious about why Moz's political ambiguity is 'dangerous'? What do they think it's going to do, make you vote 'For Britain' if you play it backwards?

I kind of agree with it - but I'm curious about why Moz's political ambiguity is 'dangerous'? What do they think it's going to do, make you vote 'For Britain' if you play it backwards?

Thanks I'd not read that.
Is this line an error? " his expanding upon his legacy." ...I think it should read 'he's expanding on his legacy' which makes more sense to me, & reflects what this new album is actually doing.

Thanks I'd not read that.
Is this line an error? " his expanding upon his legacy." ...I think it should read 'he's expanding on his legacy' which makes more sense to me, & reflects what this new album is actually doing.

yeah - it's got a couple of typos.

being familiar with the site it’s hard to say if John is adding or leaving the typos on purpose. He seems to get the stick from some users and for a while it seemed as if this was a way to troll them. Either way the typos are a long running bit. He always posts morrissey stuff though even if he’s the only one there who might want to read it. Well one of two I guess. I mentioned his interpretation of the cover in the rolling stone thread. Even if it’s not true I think that’s how I’ll look at the cover from now on

Sh!t forgot what thread I was typing in. It’s like five in the morning here

I think his voice is clearest on ruth which is what I like about joe chics production.
tues joke-theres that many shops boarded up in my town centre the window cleaner carries a sander.haha.
tues joke 2-greggs have started a home delivery service using drones,,,sounds a bit pie in the sky to me.haha.
one more-a friend of mine has been put on one of those ventilators that dyson have invented for corona virus-doc said hes picking up nicley now.haha. thats me done,shows over.
Well done that man....we need more of this sort of thing.... I'm fortunate as I live directly behind a huge park, with a pond, mini railway, play areas ect, I was having my daily walk yesterday, when I stopped and chatted to an old dear with two dogs.after a while I asked her if they were Jack rusells,she looked confused, and then said no they were hers.?.

Well done that man....we need more of this sort of thing.... I'm fortunate as I live directly behind a huge park, with a pond, mini railway, play areas ect, I was having my daily walk yesterday, when I stopped and chatted to an old dear with two dogs.after a while I asked her if they were Jack rusells,she looked confused, and then said no they were hers.?.
too right baz,in these difficult times it does us all good to have a bit of a laugh.not too sure our American and European friends will get them but a joke is a joke.

I think the worst lyrical moment on the album is that whole section beginning "Maybe I'll be skinned alive by Canada Goose" and ending in "because of my niece". I can't even bring myself to sing along with it in coronavirus isolation. The whole album could have been made twice as good just by replacing that section with decent lyrics. But otherwise, I'm still largely enjoying it.
I love the song - it's about his 'showtrial by media' over the last few years in music hall Frankly Mr Shankly style. But one of my faves is The Secret of Music. Pure avant garde with a sinister edge.

While you're talking about his lyrics: The way he repeats lines ('Ruth is John' for example) gets on my nerves. He must have producers fearing for their job because someone needs to say to him, 'Have you thought about writing some more lines?'

I couldn’t agree more. The amount of repetition in his lyrics on the last 3 albums is astonishing.

That said, the lines in You Have Killed Me make me laugh every time

“There is no point saying this again
There is no point saying this again
But I forgive you
I forgive you”

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom