Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time drops 3 Smiths albums

Rolling Stone has updated their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list, and three of the Smiths albums previously listed have been dropped. Only The Queen is Dead remains, and, although it has moved up from its previous position to #113, it is shocking to see some of the albums that ranked better!

UPDATE Sep. 23:

Posted by sfchow:

Not sure if this been mentioned, but Morrissey did submit his list of albums to RS

(scroll down; right above Stuart Murdoch!)

I wonder if any of Morrissey's votes made it into the final 500...

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be that WGO is more meaningful and moving to contemporary listeners than Sgt. P's? I mean, what does "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" really have to say to us today? But "What's Going On" and "Mercy, Mercy Me (The Ecology)" could not be more relevant.
No arguments from me Re your post.. I think with Sgt, pepper, it was at the time very fresh in the way and how it was recorded, album cover. and a shift in musical direction ECT.... is it relevant today, probably not
Where as WGO still is due to the fact that the American government treat black people like second class citizens, WGO must be an anthem for all black Americans I would have thought...

I feel like Jann Wenner asked Morrissey to help curate the list and then dropped three history making Smiths albums in one swoop. I am offended.

This is a fair point you raise, but when has this album ever been number 1in these kind of charts??? Yes it’s always knocked about the 20 or so ... but you have to admit it has shot up to number 1 because of events over the pond!!!
I don’t want to mention the R word at this time of night as it might temp Burke and hare out of their coffins 😜
It got to number one on its own merit, considering it’s an undisputed masterpiece, but it has become even more meaningful and relevant over these past 10 years or so. It resonates with the people and the culture of today. Even though I wouldn’t put it at number one on my highly personal list, I definitely understand why people would. It’s obviously on my top 20. Maybe even 15.

Jann Wenner was a massive Beatles, John Lennon freak and I think he envies the fact younger generations of super smart kids love the Smiths and their lyrics with a certain ... mania the Beatles no longer get. Wenner betrayed Lennon. Yoko hates him.

Did you even look at the list?

Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison – #164

Hank Williams – 40 Greatest Hits – #132

Willie Nelson – The Red Headed Stranger – #237

Patsy Cline – The Ultimate Collection – #229

Dolly Parton – Coat of Many Colors – #257

Merle Haggard – Down Every Road (1962-1994) – #284

The (Dixie) Chicks – Fly at #224

Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour at #270

Shania Twain – Come On Over at #300

Eric Church – Chief at #419

Loretta Lynn – Coal Miner’s Daughter at #440

Miranda Lambert – The Weight of These Wings at #480

Took this from a country-music website that just reported on the list.
Haha!! No I didn’t!

The Smiths chance with the Rock and Roll Hall of fame are diminished now. Jann Wenner has the heavy hand with that too.

If you read it not as which albums are best but which albums are currently relevant it makes a lot more sense. That doesn't mean that Taylor Swift has to be relevant to you. A lot of people are paying attention to her and being influenced by her and that's really what this list is about.
Record sales do matter but it's not just record sales. The Velvet Underground are on the list because they are unique and everyone that listens to rock music eventually becomes aware of them. They are still very influential and their place in history can't be erased. They share that with Taylor Swift whatever you think of either of them.
The good news is that The Smiths are still there. This means they are unlikely to ever be cancelled.

How very refreshing to find What’s Going On at number 1, instead of some dreary old Beatles album. Very deserving. Sad, though, that they felt they had to stoop to mob mentality when writing about MJ’s Thriller. “the horrific revelations about him that have surfaced in recent years.“ The ramblings of two uncorroborated witnesses isn’t the same as the truth or “revelations”. The fact that media and people are pissing all over his legacy is just sad.

The same mechanisms are to blame for the lack of Moz/Smiths albums on the list.
There are more than two uncorroborated witnesses.

I agree, mr Gaye is only number 1 because of the political nature of the world at the moment... give it a few years and he’ll be booted back down the list when it’s all forgotten about....

I can't know if he was chosen as to give a message related to races... but still, even in that case, Hendrix, Marley... or taking a risk and giving the first spot to a genius like Sun Ra... but... Marvin Gaye? I don't get it.

So, I will delete that list from my mind and I am giving the first spot to Sun Ra!!!!

The legacy has been duly pissed upon, and the association with a reclusive xenophobic right wing pariah doesn't look good in print. He's only got himself to blame. Tick tock.

Whats Goin On has some wonderful arrangements, and James Jamerson's basslines are peerless, but their are some very weak tracks and corny lyrics.
I do think that Marvin Gaye in his prime was the 2nd best vocalist of all time, Jeff Buckley being the first.
Whats Goin On is def a top 30 record but not even at the level of TQID.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom