Rick Astley recalls encounter with Morrissey - NME

Link to Tweet posted by an anonymous person in the Strange/unexpected Moz references? thread (original post):

The relevant part of the above link if you don't want NME to get a 'click through':

2: Morrissey’s re-issue of ‘The Last Of The Famous International Playboys’ features an image of Mozza and you backstage at Top Of The Pops.But which artist were you a replacement for?

“David Bowie”

CORRECT.

“I was a big Smiths fan through one of my older brothers. ‘Cos they were from Manchester, down the road from us, they made you think ‘It can happen on your own terms, taking no prisoners.’ So that was pretty crazy. But I remember the photograph. Somebody came into my dressing room and said: ‘Morrissey wants to have his photograph with you’. I’m like (Disbelieving ) ‘f*** off!’. Sure enough, he came to my room and we had a photograph and boom, that was it. I have an ambition which people would probably want to smash something or even throw-up upon hearing. I want to play a gig – probably in Manchester – where we only play Smiths songs. That would be a special evening. But then I’d also like to own a bar in Italy on the beach and just sing Sinatra songs when I’m old and grey, so I do have these flights of fancy.”

Morrissey’s cancelled his umpteenth recent UK tour, so now’s the time….

“I’m in! I’ll do it!”

https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/rock-n-roll-kill-braincells-rick-astley-2438041

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
At least Rick didn’t go out of his way to denounce his photo with Morrissey as looking ‘sooo gay’ as if looking or being gay is a bad thing.

TIM BOOTH SO MUCH TO ANSWER FOR.

:cool:

At least Rick didn’t go out of his way to denounce his photo with Morrissey as looking ‘sooo gay’ as if looking or being gay is a bad thing.

TIM BOOTH SO MUCH TO ANSWER FOR.

:cool:
Exactly. From interviews I've seen of Rick he seems very down to earth. As for Tin Boots, him sticking his tongue out the side of his mouth was the gay-ist thing about that photo. Not sure if that's a word, but I don't like Tim Phonebooth slagging off that photo.

“Tim Phonebooth” lol!
Perfect imitation of Morrissey’s juvenile name-calling (which I’ve always enjoyed)

Exactly. From interviews I've seen of Rick he seems very down to earth. As for Tin Boots, him sticking his tongue out the side of his mouth was the gay-ist thing about that photo. Not sure if that's a word, but I don't like Tim Phonebooth slagging off that photo.

I don't believe any of this is true until it is verified and commented upon by Skinny.

Who would have been there.

In the dressing room.

Obviously.

yip good guy,but whenever I hear NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP I feel like cutting off both my ears with a rusty hacksaw blade,apart from that,good guy.

I don't believe any of this is true until it is verified and commented upon by Skinny.

Who would have been there.

In the dressing room.

Obviously.

The Hunk The Unc is everywhere getting his nose into it.

h115DA7A1

NME interviewing Rick Astley, what a bunch of dilletante journalists !

I wasn't aware that it was Rick Astley on this picture. I didn't like his music back then, in the old days, and I thought Morrissey didn't dig his music either. But I might be wrong.

I wasn't aware that it was Rick Astley on this picture. I didn't like his music back then, in the old days, and I thought Morrissey didn't dig his music either. But I might be wrong.
I doubt morrissey would have been a fan of Stock Aiken Waterman manufactured pop but Rick Astley did have a good voice and seems like a nice guy. He has a bit of a quiff going on in the twitter photo too.

I doubt morrissey would have been a fan of Stock Aiken Waterman manufactured pop but Rick Astley did have a good voice and seems like a nice guy. He has a bit of a quiff going on in the twitter photo too.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. They look good together.

That snippet made me laugh, so I'll forgive him for inadvertently creating Rickrolls. And it is indeed a very nice picture!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom