Research shows that seeing meat makes people less aggressive

Meat is mollifying? A researcher at McGill University in Toronto has found that 82 men responded less aggressively when shown images of meat than when shown other images designed to provoke them, such as ones of weapons. "I wanted to know if we might respond aggressively to certain stimuli in our environment not because of learned associations, but because of an innate predisposition. I wanted to know if just looking at the meat would suffice to provoke an aggressive behavior," says Frank Kachanoff, of McGill's Department of Psychology. "We used imagery of meat that was ready to eat. In terms of behaviour, with the benefit of hindsight, it would make sense that our ancestors would be calm, as they would be surrounded by friends and family at meal time." (Clearly this guy has never had a meal with my family.)

http://www.mcgill.ca/aoc/news/chann...vioural-traits-might-kick-dinner-table-eating

When asked to comment on the findings, Morrissey punched the interviewer in the face.

Ok, so I made that last bit up.

I don't think it's particularly amazing that people react less to meat than to guns.

Obviously no vegetarians included in that study.
:mad:

There's a very simple reason why this might have happened.

I bet that all the meat images shown to these people were just like the pictures shown above, i.e., stuff that do not resemble dead animals in any way.

I'm pretty sure the results would be quite different if they show what meat actually is:

slaughterhouse%20CAFT%20s2064.jpg

There's a very simple reason why this might have happened.

I bet that all the meat images shown to these people were just like the pictures shown above, i.e., stuff that do not resemble dead animals in any way.

I'm pretty sure the results would be quite different if they show what meat actually is:

slaughterhouse%20CAFT%20s2064.jpg

It's pictures like that both make me wanna cry rivers and make me so immensly glad and proud that I don't eat meat.

How can one look at that and still justify eating meat?

What a completely pointless study.

“I would like to run this experiment again, using hunting images. Perhaps Thanksgiving next year will be a great opportunity for a do-over!”

So, that's a completely different study which seems to be the one he meant to do in the first place. He should have thought of that sooner and saved a lot of time and money. Who funds this stuff?

I don't see how they can claim that this experiment tests "innate reactions" to meat, as they tested adults...

Meat is mollifying? A researcher at McGill University in Toronto has found that 82 men responded less aggressively when shown images of meat than when shown other images designed to provoke them, such as ones of weapons. "I wanted to know if we might respond aggressively to certain stimuli in our environment not because of learned associations, but because of an innate predisposition. I wanted to know if just looking at the meat would suffice to provoke an aggressive behavior," says Frank Kachanoff, of McGill's Department of Psychology. "We used imagery of meat that was ready to eat. In terms of behaviour, with the benefit of hindsight, it would make sense that our ancestors would be calm, as they would be surrounded by friends and family at meal time." (Clearly this guy has never had a meal with my family.)

http://www.mcgill.ca/aoc/news/chann...vioural-traits-might-kick-dinner-table-eating

When asked to comment on the findings, Morrissey punched the interviewer in the face.

Ok, so I made that last bit up.
Tell this to the yobs near kebab stands on a saturday night

oh, I'm sorry.

Does this one work for you?

goas.jpg

Mmmmm, tasty tasty erm... horse?

It makes me laugh when people post those images to try and shock people into going veggie in the same way health warnings on cigarettes make me laugh.

IT ISN'T LIKE WE DON'T KNOW ALREADY.

Fortunately, there aren't any pictures of Aberdeenshire farmers starving to death because the weather up there makes it impossible to grow crops.
You'd tuck into an Angus burger in double quick time.

It makes me laugh when people post those images to try and shock people into going veggie in the same way health warnings on cigarettes make me laugh.

Fortunately, there aren't any pictures of Aberdeenshire farmers starving to death because the weather up there makes it impossible to grow crops.

You didn't read my post.

If you had read it, you would have seen that I think the results of this research would have been different if the pictures were like the one I posted.

Nothing to do with convincing anybody into going veggie.

You sad sod.

Those "poor" farmers doesn't have to eat meat. No one does. A creature of normal human intelligence will always have an option. Always.

You sad sod.

Those "poor" farmers doesn't have to eat meat. No one does. A creature of normal human intelligence will always have an option. Always.

That's true in our part of the world, which is why I don't eat meat, but there are still places on earth where people do have to eat meat to survive. Like Greenland for example - nothing grows there.

That's true in our part of the world, which is why I don't eat meat, but there are still places on earth where people do have to eat meat to survive. Like Greenland for example - nothing grows there.

Indeed. And that bears no comparison to the industrialized slaughter and suffering inflicted upon animals in the "developed" world..

Back
Top Bottom