Rand Paul

Anaesthesine

Angel of Distemper
So, teabagger Rand Paul has won the Republican nomination for senator from Kentucky.

He has already made it known that he thinks the Civil Rights Act is out of line, and he supports the right of all private sector businesses to actively discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, religious affiliation or star sign.

This morning he has let it be known that he fully supports British Petroleum in their right to destroy all life in the Gulf of Mexico, and that government criticism of any corporation is (and I quote) "Un-American."

This is the face of today's conservative movement; I think they've finally jumped the dead, oil-covered shark.

So, teabagger Rand Paul has won the Republican nomination for senator from Kentucky.

He has already made it known that he thinks the Civil Rights Act is out of line, and he supports the right of all private sector businesses to actively discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, religious affiliation or star sign.

This morning he has let it be known that he fully supports British Petroleum in their right to destroy all life in the Gulf of Mexico, and that government criticism of any corporation is (and I quote) "Un-American."

This is the face of today's conservative movement; I think they've finally jumped the dead, oil-covered shark.

:crazy:

Republican endorses a candidate who is a sub-human racist?

Pathetic indeed.

Last edited:
I like his brother RuPaul better.

The key point to reflect on: Paul is not only the face of today's conservative movement, he is the face of today's conservative who pointedly adopts the mask of so-called libertarianism. They've figured out the best possible discursive strategy for the establishment (or further entrenchment, if you prefer) of racism. Which is really the old one, of course: the battle for "states' rights" against the federal government. I read a comment on another site yesterday that hit the nail on the head. In 1860 Rand Paul would have been giving speeches saying he "wasn't racist and abhorred slavery" but felt conscience-bound to "support the right of small Southern businessmen to earn a living without government interference".

I like his brother RuPaul better.

:lbf:

The key point to reflect on: Paul is not only the face of today's conservative movement, he is the face of today's conservative who pointedly adopts the mask of so-called libertarianism. They've figured out the best possible discursive strategy for the establishment (or further entrenchment, if you prefer) of racism. Which is really the old one, of course: the battle for "states' rights" against the federal government. I read a comment on another site yesterday that hit the nail on the head. In 1860 Rand Paul would have been giving speeches saying he "wasn't racist and abhorred slavery" but felt conscience-bound to "support the right of small Southern businessmen to earn a living without government interference".

Indeed, we were just discussing that this morning. It's an incredible feat of chutzpah to call oneself "libertarian" while moving so far to the right that you've fallen off the grid.

This is the endgame of the Reagan revolution: a completely unsustainable ideology that has finally, openly, embraced anarchy.

Oh, the irony.

Can you post some links to his quotes? I just like to have something to fall back on when people say, "When did he say that?"

"Libertarian" is the bullshit word of the decade.

It means: I'm a right winger in the closet, but I call myself this because right wing radio hosts told me to. I pretend I want the government to be out of my life, but that only applies if they interfere on things I like. When it comes to defending my right winger position on immigration, abortion, xenophobia, misogyny, homophobia, religion, and war, I want the government to be brutal and omnipresent.

It means: I'm a right winger in the closet, but I call myself this because right wing radio hosts told me to. I pretend I want the government to be out of my life, but that only applies if they interfere on things I like. When it comes to defending my right winger position on immigration, abortion, xenophobia, misogyny, homophobia, religion, and war, I want the government to be brutal and omnipresent.

:rofl: :bow:

I've often wondered what would happen if I got in a conversation with a tea bagger and pointed out that said tea bagger was extremely happy with one government-run program, the military. If we're so good with guns, why can't we be good with medicine and education, too? In my naive fantasy, I imagine this silences the person. But no: the reply I'd get in real life is that the government is failing in the military sector, too, because the bureaucrats in Washington won't let the Pentagon nuke Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea, Egypt, France, Norway, the city of Berkeley, the moon... :)

This is the endgame of the Reagan revolution: a completely unsustainable ideology that has finally, openly, embraced anarchy.

Oh, the irony.

Irony indeed!

Still, if it's the endgame, there's a lot of endgame left. It will get much worse. We have to hope that we can find a way forward before everything is destroyed by man, by nature, or a combination of both.

Did you notice Brazil was a key player in the Iranian nuke negotiations? Interesting.

Way back when, some truly moderate, serious Republicans adopted the word "Libertarian" in all sincerity. When the Religious Right took over the party, Libertarian was a code word for "I believe in small government, but I don't believe that Christ is King and I don't care who you have sex with."

"Libertarian" has mutated since that time, and I'm wondering what word the few remaining sane conservatives will come up with next.

Any suggestions?

Tea bagging is a sex act.That's what i thought this thread was about.
disappointed.

Way back when, some truly moderate, serious Republicans adopted the word "Libertarian" in all sincerity. When the Religious Right took over the party, Libertarian was a code word for "I believe in small government, but I don't believe that Christ is King and I don't care who you have sex with."

"Libertarian" has mutated since that time, and I'm wondering what word the few remaining sane conservatives will come up with next.

Any suggestions?

Well we're already at "patriot". I figure the next one will be "American". Just "American". This will be the ultimate us versus them stance before the shotguns and lynching ropes come out (if we're lucky) or the Humvees, Apaches, and Predator drones drop in for a visit (if we're not).

Tea bagging is a sex act.That's what i thought this thread was about.
disappointed.

Tea baggers believe sex acts are fine unless the government's involved. Why else did the proto-'baggers impeach Clinton?

Well we're already at "patriot". I figure the next one will be "American". Just "American". This will be the ultimate us versus them stance before the shotguns and lynching ropes come out (if we're lucky) or the Humvees, Apaches, and Predator drones drop in for a visit (if we're not).

I believe it was Sarah Palin/Michelle Bachmann who coined the term "real Americans" when referring to conservatives/republicans. Are any of the real Americans who hang out here going to defend their latest straight-talking star?

The President of the United States was just called "un-American" for criticizing a multinational corporation that killed Americans and despoiled a huge swath of this country.

Where is all the love?

The President of the United States was just called "un-American" for criticizing a multinational corporation that killed Americans and despoiled a huge swath of this country.

Where is all the love?

I'm always amazed when someone says something profoundly stupid like this and most reasonable people go" :crazy: " that there are going to be people who say, "yeah, he's right, the president is un-American." They've been entertained into a lather of rage and can no longer see sense.

I also want to know why Rand is sporting that Split Enz hairdo in 2010?

I can't believe there is another one to continue the deranged Paul genetic line.

The internets will be again swamped by 17 year old Paultards espousing that pseudo-libertarian drivel come 2012. Dear god.

:crazy:

Republican endorses a candidate who is a sub-human racist?

Pathetic indeed.

Rand Paul's biggest mistake was going into agreement with "civil rights" and "legal rights", and he himself even said that in a free society we "allow" people to act boorishly. Had Rand Paul insisted on being in favor of Inalienable Rights, and opposed to any form of "legal" granted rights, he could have very easily turned the tables on Maddow. Simply staying on point and insisting that all people regardless of race, sex, creed, or religion, are born with inherent rights. When Maddow asked if Paul thought a business had a "legal right" to discriminate, if Paul answered that the federal government does not have the authority to grant rights, and kept the debate on Inalienable versus "civil" rights, the whole business and discrimination issue would have been lost in the debate. It would have forced Maddow to either dismiss Inalienable rights as not being enough, which if pushed further would have forced her to point to slavery, which could have been easily used to frame her as if she was in support of slavery.

Paul is trying too hard to be a politician, and be all things to all people. In these turbulent times his real strength lies in stressing that rights are not granted by government but exist in all people and do so from birth. That no legislation is required to protect rights as the Bill of Rights, and all state constitutions and their declaration of rights, make clear that the rights of the people shall not be disparaged. This then becomes an issue of what the government is prohibited from doing, and the strongest argument one can make against those who are attempting to make Paul look racist, is to simply insist that all people are free to do what they choose to do as long as such actions do not cause another harm. This would not at all hurt Paul with his own constituency and while it may not win over many progressives, Paul seems to be in opposition to progressive views and should make a stand.

Last edited:
Tags
< ayn rand d-bagger
Back
Top Bottom