Rammstein in America - finally!

Anaesthesine

Angel of Distemper
Rammstein are playing their first American show since 2001 next Saturday, at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The show "sold out" in about 30 minutes, and everyone panicked and sent ticket prices soaring - it was $200.00 just to get in the door.

There are still plenty of seats available, and ticket prices have finally gone down. The band are going to have their full stadium set-up for this one: it should be an incredible show.

I'll be in the pit. :guitar:

are they still doing their sodomy schtick onstage? that was awesome.

Never a fan, although any band that does "sodomy schtick" is A-plus material in my book.

are they still doing their sodomy schtick onstage? that was awesome.

:thumb:

Everyone's a bit older now; I think they're setting each other on fire instead.

Never a fan, although any band that does "sodomy schtick" is A-plus material in my book.

A++

they are awesome live :thumb: I wish I could see them this tour, but me poor now :(

This is the one and only show in the US, but the word is that there may well be a US tour in the not-too-distant future, due to the fact that they just sold out MSG. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Weren't you a Combichrist fan? They're opening for Rammstein next week.

Last edited:
:thumb:

Everyone's a bit older now; I think they're setting each other on fire instead.

A++

This is the one and only show in the US, but the word is that there may well be a US tour in the not-too-distant future, due to the fact that they just sold out MSG. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Weren't you a Combichrist fan? They're opening for Rammstein next week.

yes, I just read about all that elsewhere, I really look forward to any upcoming tour that hits the west coast, I saw Rammstein back when they did many years ago
& as for CombiChrist, I have been with them since the beginning, I went to their first show(@ that 1st show, the band was only Andy!)
and I have faithfully attended many more since, even once talked about being a soldier once with Andy :)(me being one, not him)

Last edited:
Rammstein? On a Morrissey fan site? I think you meant to go to the Metallica or Guns 'n' Roses fan sites. That lame band lowers my I.Q.. Gross..just gross.:guitar:

Rammstein are great. Their gig in Manchester in February was probably the best gig I've ever been to.

Rammstein? On a Morrissey fan site? I think you meant to go to the Metallica or Guns 'n' Roses fan sites. That lame band lowers my I.Q.. Gross..just gross.:guitar:

Say what you will, but Rammstein is flat-out more fun than any other band I've ever seen. They have an exquisitely honed sense of absurdity, revel in their cultural references and metaphors, play with social, political (and literal) fire, have refined their guitar sound to a perfect chugging, sonic assault, are absolutely fearless onstage (see buggering, above), write classic songs, and are far, far more subversive than most metal bands could ever dream of being.

They're Dionysus meets Nietzsche (as told by the brothers Grimm), drenched in testosterone, wrapped in latex and set on fire.

Have to admit I like them too - I saw them 10 years ago:eek: - they played straight after this real Aussie 'rock' band at a fesstival. The first song, the singer was on flames, then rode a dildo before finally doing cartwheels with fireworks coming out of his shoes. It was fantastic!

This just goes to show the ignorance some people have towards music. I'd rate Rammstein in my top 10 bands of all time and am absolutely pumped to see them in Australia in January for the first time since 2001 ... so much like to American fans we're getting a treat too!

I'd like to offer a little insight...

Rammstein are more than just a metal band, and if you don't understand German then you'd be mistaken for thinking that a lot of their lyrics are just German version of death metal lyrics about killing and skull f***ing people or whatever. Till Lindemann is a great lyricist, his words are extremely poetic (hell he's written his own book of poetry), there is very little swearing really as well.
They have a stage show which has been made famous for stuff like the dildo and such ... but it's also a lot of fun, it mixes music with theatre, and I don't see what the problem is with that. A lot of it is dark humour and there's a running joke that the keyboardist is always trying to best the singer but never has things go his way (stunts included he's ended up being cooked alive in a big pot by a flame thrower, his head being cut off, dumped in a bath tub and had lava poured into it from above etc...).

I think Rammstein are largely misunderstood, their music has melody (especially later albums) unlike a lot of metal. It's totally fine if it's not your thing, but to say it lowers your IQ is just an ignorant statement.
A rough translation for example of some of their writing for a song is:

"Come in my boat
a storm is rising
and it is becoming night
Where do you want to go?
so completely alone
you are drifting away
Who will hold your hand
when it pulls you under?
Where do you want to go?
so boundless are the cold seas
Come in my boat
the autumn wind holds the sails taut
Now you are standing by the lantern
with tears falling down your face
the daylight falls into night
the autumn wind sweeps the streets clear"

Even their most famous song "Du Hast" is usually misunderstood ... the English version which was released was "You Hate" but its actually a more clever song than that, it's a play on wedding vows and the original lyrics would be "You Have". It's basically about saying no at the alter:

"Will you until death seperates you,
be faithful to her for all her days?

No"

Again with all the flak they cop just for being German about how they're Nazi's and all that shit ... they wrote a song called Links 2,3,4 which is done to a military march type of beat and talks about how they belong to the left and the song is a bit of a "f*** you" to those who have those asumptions about them:

"Can you break hearts
can hearts speak
can you torture hearts
can you steal hearts

They want my heart on the right side
but then I look below
it beats left there

Can hearts sing
can a heart burst
can hearts be pure
can a heart be made of stone

They want my heart on the right side
but then I look below
it beats left there
left two three four left

Sure it's a different kind of lyric to what people generally hear and comparing it to someone like Morrissey's writing is just not comparing 2 of the same product really. Again, not everyone's cup'o'tea, but it is far from something that'll lower your IQ.

And finally on that, if you want to give them a chance to see a side of them that doesn't get as much publicity as the dildo then check out a song like this:

Last edited by a moderator:

This post lowers my I.Q.

Edit: Should add that I'm not a fan of Rammstein, but I'm not either a fan of music elitism (the Rammstein? On a Morrissey fan site? line in your post).

Last edited:
Rammstein are great. Their gig in Manchester in February was probably the best gig I've ever been to.

Christ on a stick, that was such an incredible show last night; words simply fail to convey the experience.

The final encore was breathtakingly gorgeous: Fritz Lang meets Wim Wenders, with a soundtrack to die for.

Great post Pokey.

Christ on a stick, that was such an incredible show last night; words simply fail to convey the experience.

The final encore was breathtakingly gorgeous: Fritz Lang meets Wim Wenders, with a soundtrack to die for.

Glad you enjoyed the show! What did they play in the encore? The setlist may have changed considerably in ten months!

Also, if anyone needs converting, check out this beautiful gem. I've long considered it my favourite Rammstein song. It's about the last moments shared between an old couple as the wife is passing away. I'll post an English translation of the lyrics as well - pure, heartbreaking, poetry.

'Nebel' - 'Mist'

They stand with their arms tightly around each other
a mixture of flesh, so rich in days
where the sea touches the land
she wants to tell him the truth

But the wind eats her words
where the sea ends
she holds his hand, trembling
and kissed him on the forehead

She carries the evening in her chest
and knows that she must wither away
she lays her head in his lap
and asks for a last kiss

and then he kissed her
where the sea ends
her lips, delicate and pale
and his eyes tear up

The last kiss was so long ago
the last kiss
he does not remember it anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post Pokey.

Seconded. :thumb:

Glad you enjoyed the show! What did they play in the encore? The setlist may have changed considerably in ten months!

I think they played the exact same setlist as Manchester - that's the disadvantage of such an elaborate set-up, I suppose.

They ended with Engel, and Till wore those giant, flaming metal wings. I couldn't help but think of Rilke's angel, and Wings of Desire. Really, the imagery was perfect - I don't see how they could possibly be more iconic.

Everything else was immaculate - the band was just perfect. Songs like Sonne and Links just tore the place up. It's pretty remarkable to be in an arena in New York City and hear 17,000 people singing in German; it sounded like everyone knew all the words.

It's no wonder that the band bowed down to Till at the end of the show; after all these years he's still on top of his game as a singer/songwriter, and he deals with all that pyro as well. The sheer physical/mental/emotional exertion must be incredible.

They've perfected their own unique form of performance art - I wonder where they will go from here...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom