Question for Viva about the 2004 sessions (cuz he knows freakin' everything)

Interesting thread ... I wish someone would leak Home Is A Question Mark and the studio version of Playing Easy To Get. Is there a studio version of Noise Is The Best Revenge as well?

Interesting thread ... I wish someone would leak Home Is A Question Mark and the studio version of Playing Easy To Get. Is there a studio version of Noise Is The Best Revenge as well?

Or if they don't release them, at least give us a 30 second clip of "Home Is A Question Mark"...seeing the quality of most of the Quarry songs, I'm DYING to hear it.

Boz has said a studio version exists and then another time he said one doesn't exist. Lol. I personally don't think 'Noise' ever made it to the studio as I have never come across any production notes, posts, or interviews that suggest it was recorded...but seeing as they went as far to play it on Janice Long, you never know.

I think Boz is very smart for keeping his mouth shut about almost everything. I think he's overall an honest bloke, but I've stopped believing him at all when he's asked questions about Morrissey. Or playing at Adam Ant shows.

I think Boz is very smart for keeping his mouth shut about almost everything. I think he's overall an honest bloke, but I've stopped believing him at all when he's asked questions about Morrissey. Or playing at Adam Ant shows.

How true.
WorfLOL.gif

The session version of Playing Easy To Get is so good, and available in such high quality, that I've never pined for a 'real' studio version... (ditto with Noise Is The Best Revenge, though that's not nearly as good a tune)

Home Is A Question Mark though... now that is another story :)

I explained the latter part of your question above...in addressing the former, Alain was kinda involved in the Ringleader sessions...to be more accurate, he was MORE involved in the initial Ringleader sessions when Saltzman was still producing the album. Enter Visconti and the trek to Rome...other than backing vocals and the music videos, the majority of Alain's work of the album was done by this time.

Your information is accurate in some cases, heavily flawed in others. First, ALL of Ringleader was recorded in Rome. Jeff Saltzman was approached but was not available, i.e., he did not produce ANY sessions intended for Ringleader. They started the sessions WITHOUT a producer and, when that proved non-productive, Visconti was sought out. And, yes, Alain worked in the studio with Visconti - there are pictures of Alain in the studio in Rome, one which was posted to Visconti's blog (which is still archived online).

Refer to the sleeve credits on the You Have Killed Me Single. It clearly states Good Looking Man About Town was recorded in Rome. The sound on all of these songs is similar - it is clearly a part of the same sessions. The unreleased Action Man was part of the same recordings, but was never finished.

Jesse also plays on Friday Mourning and I Am Two People - his horrible guitar tone is unmistakeable. Whether he plays on The Slum Mums or The Public Image is subject to debate, but the titles were clearly available on the original track list prior to the release of You Are The Quarry so, presumably, Alain was at least originally involved with these recordings - ditto Home is a Question Mark.

No One Can Hold a Candle to You was remixed with Boz in New York. It has not been publicly said where the Let Me Kiss You and I Have Forgiven Jesus were originally recorded. Odds are, it was recorded at Conway Studios in LA where Jerry Finn did the bulk of his Morrissey work in the US.

There seems to be conflicting reports - even from participants in the sessions - that there is a "true" studio version of I'm Playing Easy to Get. But, clearly, as borne out by this news item from the Archive, there was, in some form. This announcement pre-dates Janice Long's session by about two months - and the first of the two live airings of the song by at least a number of weeks.

YATQ Platinum Edition - details at Siren Disc

posted by davidt on Friday October 01 2004, @10:30AM

elmira writes:

You Are The Quarry PLATINUM EDITION
New cover art and booklet plus bonus audio tracks "Slum Mums", "I'm Playing Easy To Get" & "No One Can Hold A Candle To You" and video tracks "Irish Blood, English Heart", "First Of The Gang To Die" & "Let Me Kiss You (Live On Jools Holland).
Format: 2-CD
Expected Release Date: 18-Oct-04

I was never sure about Alain actually being in Rome, mainly because he didn't seem to be in the behind the scenes video for Dear God (Morricone strings) - strange considering he wrote it! Or is he the one that shot the video?

Your information is accurate in some cases, heavily flawed in others. First, ALL of Ringleader was recorded in Rome. Jeff Saltzman was approached but was not available, i.e., he did not produce ANY sessions intended for Ringleader. They started the sessions WITHOUT a producer and, when that proved non-productive, Visconti was sought out. And, yes, Alain worked in the studio with Visconti - there are pictures of Alain in the studio in Rome, one which was posted to Visconti's blog (which is still archived online).

Refer to the sleeve credits on the You Have Killed Me Single. It clearly states Good Looking Man About Town was recorded in Rome. The sound on all of these songs is similar - it is clearly a part of the same sessions. The unreleased Action Man was part of the same recordings, but was never finished.

Jesse also plays on Friday Mourning and I Am Two People - his horrible guitar tone is unmistakeable. Whether he plays on The Slum Mums or The Public Image is subject to debate, but the titles were clearly available on the original track list prior to the release of You Are The Quarry so, presumably, Alain was at least originally involved with these recordings - ditto Home is a Question Mark.

No One Can Hold a Candle to You was remixed with Boz in New York. It has not been publicly said where the Let Me Kiss You and I Have Forgiven Jesus were originally recorded. Odds are, it was recorded at Conway Studios in LA where Jerry Finn did the bulk of his Morrissey work in the US.

I was never sure about Alain actually being in Rome, mainly because he didn't seem to be in the behind the scenes video for Dear God (Morricone strings) - strange considering he wrote it! Or is he the one that shot the video?

Alan was obviously in the videos for 'You Have Killed Me' and 'In the future (when all's well)' - anyone know where they were filmed?

Good point. Those two videos could've been shot anywhere but "The Youngest..." does indeed to be on the streets of Rome.

Alan was obviously in the videos for 'You Have Killed Me' and 'In the future (when all's well)' - anyone know where they were filmed?

Your information is accurate in some cases, heavily flawed in others.

Flawed if you consider Wikipedia and the sleeve notes a reliable source. Lol.

First, ALL of Ringleader was recorded in Rome. Jeff Saltzman was approached but was not available, i.e., he did not produce ANY sessions intended for Ringleader. They started the sessions WITHOUT a producer and, when that proved non-productive, Visconti was sought out.

No...it wasn't COMPLETELY recorded in Rome. The record sleeve claims that, but the albums producer claims otherwise. Really, who are you going to believe - Tony Visconti or sleeve notes? Visconti clearly stated on his own website that he was given the tapes from the LA recording sessions produced by Saltzman. He also went on to say after Saltzman was let go, Boz tried to produce the album himself but it wasn't working out. There are plenty of interviews with Visconti and various blog posts from him that once cobbled together, forms this picture.

And, yes, Alain worked in the studio with Visconti - there are pictures of Alain in the studio in Rome, one which was posted to Visconti's blog (which is still archived online).

I never said Alain didn't work in the studio...I said, the majority of his work was done before the trip to Rome.

Refer to the sleeve credits on the You Have Killed Me Single. It clearly states Good Looking Man About Town was recorded in Rome.

Years of Refusal also claims the whole album was recorded in LA. However, 'That's How People Grow Up' was recorded in Houston, TX...so we can't ALWAYS go by the sleeve credits now, can we?

The sound on all of these songs is similar - it is clearly a part of the same sessions. The unreleased Action Man was part of the same recordings, but was never finished.

Because they were all produced by Visconti! Of course they sound similar when the same man is at the helm! Lol.

Jesse also plays on Friday Mourning and I Am Two People - his horrible guitar tone is unmistakeable.

You are correct about those...I forgot to include them. The fault completely lies with me on that one.

Whether he plays on The Slum Mums or The Public Image is subject to debate, but the titles were clearly available on the original track list prior to the release of You Are The Quarry so, presumably, Alain was at least originally involved with these recordings - ditto Home is a Question Mark.

All songs listed here were completed before Quarry was even released...so no Tobias involvement at all.

No One Can Hold a Candle to You was remixed with Boz in New York.

I said that already. You're just reading the back of the single sleeves aren't you? Lol.

It has not been publicly said where the Let Me Kiss You and I Have Forgiven Jesus were originally recorded. Odds are, it was recorded at Conway Studios in LA where Jerry Finn did the bulk of his Morrissey work in the US.

Correct...the odds are very high on that.

Back
Top Bottom