question about morrissey at seated venues

bagface

it's really hard for me to imagine everybody (especially those right up front) staying in their designated seats. seems like it could be a potentially frustrating experience if the seating thing were to be strictly enforced....so in your experience, have people still been able to get up to the stage and stuff?

dependson the venue . at one seated show i attended in 2007 , every one stayed in theyre seats . the 'pit' was enclosed , so there was no point trying to rush forward .

It tends to depend on the size of the area in front of the "front row". At some venues they allow the first few rows (room permitting), others it's just the front row who are allowed to move to the stage/barrier.

Everyone else will stand up in front of their seat.

Then you get the "brave ones"!

only seated Morrissey show I was at, a spontaneous crowd of crazy barrier jumpers started to run towards the stage. i joined in and hopped in the pit. i originally had about 10th row seats or so.

A bunch of people at the Hollywood Bowl rushed to the front. I am short so I really feel more comfortable standing in a seated venue...though a standing venue is also fun. ramble ramble ramble.

a rush and a push and the front is yours!

You would be suprised at the number of people who just want to sit in their seats all night and watch the concernt without moving. How the hell they do it is beyond me, but each to their own I suppose.

You would be suprised at the number of people who just want to sit in their seats all night and watch the concernt without moving. How the hell they do it is beyond me, but each to their own I suppose.

they must surely be deaf.

It tends to depend on the size of the area in front of the "front row". At some venues they allow the first few rows (room permitting), others it's just the front row who are allowed to move to the stage/barrier.

Everyone else will stand up in front of their seat.

Then you get the "brave ones"!

My seated venue experiences are ...
Newcastle city hall 1992 - was totally crazy !! seats stood on and broken in a semi circle about 5 rows deep - was a wild night but not in a violent way.

same venue 1994 - a lot more sedate with heavier security - no broken seats and a hefty barrier .

same venue 2004 - really good gig - was about 4 rows back but made a dash for the front when the lights dimmed - was not stopped ! very passionate audience and very well humoured show ! no barrier and moz was actively encouraging stage invaders ! and he was obliged .. many times ! My favourite was the woman who popped a hat on his head and a scarf round his neck as she danced around him - hilarious! After being hoisted up i made a dash for moz .. only to be yanked around by security - firm but fair really! great gig !

sage , gateshead 2006 - No barrier at all , but as previously reported it was officially morrisseys' least favourite gig of the tour ! I was front row with elbows on stage the whole gig - came out to first of the gang and the audience ... just didn't do anything really ! I was jumping up and down and felt like a f***in prat as the whole front row were venue staff/mates and were all stuffed f***in shirts ! Not one person tried to get onstage and moz left with no encore to a room full of boos and jeers !

sunderland 2008 - lovely old style variety theatre ! massive pit infront of stage with quite a heavy handed security presence .. but it was a great gig even though moz had a bad throat ! a few attempts to press palms etc etc but no one got on to the stage .

other than that , with the exception of the albert hall 2001 and palladium every other gig has been standing (for me anyway) and they are by far the best for a moz gig (the smaller the better - Whitehaven was only 600 people and was to pretty much a school hall) got standing for 3 x 2009 so far - C'mon !!!!

i'm dancing on the inside
:cool:

I've only had one horrific experience at a seated venue. Last year at the Peace Center in SC. Only the lucky ones in the first three rows could get anywhere near the stage. If anyone tried to move towards the stage seated behind the pit, security went nuts. Several people tried, but were tackled to the floor before making it to the stage. It was an excellent show - we just seemed so far away from Morrissey when, actually, we could have been closer. The excuse was that the pit couldn't hold anymore people - other than those who had pit seats. Othewise it would have collapsed. Better safe than sorry, I suppose...either way, it was frustrating. I hope the show in Durham will be much better this year!

Back
Top Bottom