Produce Like A Pro YT: "Masters of Production: The Smiths and Blur Producer Stephen Street" (March 8, 2021)

Screenshot_20210309-094030~2.png

"Best known for his work with The Smiths, The Cranberries, and Blur, today we are talking with English music producer, Stephen Street!

Street began his musical career in the late 1970s playing in various bands in London. He then started at Island Records as an in-house assistant and then as an in-house engineer.

The Smiths and Morrissey

One of Street’s first jobs as in-house engineer was for a session for The Smiths’s “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now”. He then worked on their album Meat Is Murder, with Morrissey and Marr producing for the first time.

Street continued to work with The Smiths, working as an engineer on their album The Queen Is Dead before assuming a producer role for Strangeways, Here We Come, their final album.

After The Smiths broke up, Street worked with Morrissey as a producer and co-songwriter on his album Viva Hate. This album reached No. 1, spawning two top 10 hits in the UK. Street went on to co-write and produce two further singles for Morrissey which appeared on Bona Drag.

Blur

After hearing “She’s So High”, Blur’s first single, Street contacted their manager. Soon after he produced their second single “There’s No Other Way”, although he did not produce the album as a whole. Street produced Blur’s next four albums: Modern Life Is Rubbish, Parklife, The Great Escape and Blur.

Street produced Blur’s 2015 album The Magic Whip, their first since the band’s reformation with Coxon.

The Cranberries

In 1992, Street started working with Irish band The Cranberries on their debut album Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?. The album turned out to be a huge success in the U.S. In 1994, Street worked with the band again on their second album No Need to Argue.

Street worked with the band on their fifth album Wake Up and Smell the Coffee and the two extra tracks that were recorded for their 2002 best of album Stars: “Stars” and “New New York”.

Street also produced their sixth studio album Roses, released in 2012. He also produced their final album In the End, released in 2019.

In February 2020, it was announced Street will receive the Outstanding Achievement Award at the upcoming Music Producer’s Guild Awards."

The interview in full:

Regards,
FWD.

wonder if he ever gets sick of saying the same things over and over.dont mind him,just feel you can only say the same thing a few times and thats it.
wonder what street stephen street stayed in and was he a fan of the streets or coronation street.
Not up your street?

Johnny and Stephen have done plenty since their time with Moz. But none of their other collaborators have been as controversial, (in)famous or recognizable as Morrissey.

When you say ‘recognizable as Morrissey’ I take it you mean that others that Street has worked with
weren’t as unique as Morrissey, which really is the only thing that any real artist can hope to offer. A rarity indeed.

That journalists are too f***ing lazy to ask more about their other endeavors are hardly no one’s fault except the journalists. And the average Joe would of course be more interested to read about that dangerous, controversial Morrissey rather than Hans Zimmer/ Hollywood film scores or Blur.

There’s truth in that for various reasons.

I agree Gregor, some of his other collaborations have been far more commercially successful than his work with Morrissey.

Yes, commercially successful, wonder why they keep bringing up Morrissey then?

Did you miss this part of my comment?

I'm not saying any of these artists are better than Morrissey from an artistry perspective,

Did you miss the fact that I was NOT replying to that post of yours? Lol.

When you say ‘recognizable as Morrissey’ I take it you mean that others that Street has worked with
weren’t as unique as Morrissey, which really is the only thing that any real artist can hope to offer. A rarity indeed.

There’s truth in that for various reasons.
There are very few artists indeed who are as unique as our Mozzer.

There is.

wonder if he ever gets sick of saying the same things over and over.dont mind him,just feel you can only say the same thing a few times and thats it.
wonder what street stephen street stayed in and was he a fan of the streets or coronation street.
Streets upon streets upon streets upon streets.

Kaiser Chiefs Blur and the Cranberries are ALL BROKE>while Moz is flush:lbf:

the knob from Blur only recently was able to get the tooth.🦷

The interviewer kinda wasn't the best interviewer.
At least for the Moz stuff.
He shoulda asked S Street more about the songwritin' process
of sendin' Moz music and gettin' the lyrics back.
How about askin' about givin' Moz some music and then gettin'
back a song like International Playboys?
This interviewer weren't Wild T enough.

🤒

I wonder why he doesnt go try to produce a :frogface: album
either by Sr or Jr?? he should be able to make a billion off
that twat project:lbf:

Kaiser Chiefs Blur and the Cranberries are ALL BROKE>while Moz is flush:lbf:

the knob from Blur only recently was able to get the tooth.🦷
The lady lead singer in The Cranberries died tragically young it is very sad. There are conspiracy theories surrounding the circumstances of her death.

I'm not sure that the lead singer of Blur called Damon likes Morrissey?

I'm on Morrissey's side. I don't care for Stephen Street because he totally betrayed Morrissey. I doubt that Morrissey would ever work with Stephen Street again.

The lady lead singer in The Cranberries died tragically young it is very sad. There are conspiracy theories surrounding the circumstances of her death.

I'm on Morrissey's side. I don't care for Stephen Street because he totally betrayed Morrissey. I doubt that Morrissey would ever work with Stephen Street again.
You mean he asked to be paid? Moz could easily have invited Street onto Top Of The Pops for Playboys, which was Street's unfulfilled dream. Talk about petty.

These days you can't say you don't believe someone without flushing your career down the toilet. I wonder if it all was deliberate. He'll probably walk into a better paying job after this.
Absolutely right on all your points here....
But don’t forget what this man done when he was the editor of the Daily mirror...
He put the lives of British troops at risk , when he put fake pictures of troops torturing people on the front page when it never happened...
One vile, disgusting dangerous man.

These days you can't say you don't believe someone without flushing your career down the toilet. I wonder if it all was deliberate. He'll probably walk into a better paying job after this.

I doubt it was deliberate - he'll get another job, but poisoning his relationship with ITV & getting a huge amount of industry flack isn't a great idea.

Ian Murray, head of the society of Editors had to resign & from what I've heard news rooms are currently war zones.

All from an Oprah interview! :ahhh:

the toothless knob has dissed Moz many times.:blushing: toothless, goes out in public with the huge gap in his mouth where he is toothless, and dramatically states that Moz is not fit to comment about politics.:crazy:
He also has a small tuft of hair like the other troll but in back making him look like a raccoon. Here is the arbiter of politics for your perusal:handpointdown:

images

We need the voice of reason, Morrissey, to comment!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom