Pre-Smiths Marr and Rourke, and Wolstencroft - Freak Party - Crak Therapy demo (1981) posted

The roots of the Stone Roses can be traced back to 1980..To most people they were in their mid-twenties when their self titled album was released, but in reality they were all almost 30..Good thing there was no Wikipedia back then..

And yes Andy sounds fantastic here. A little bit of Barbarisim at times.

Johnny and Ian are still friends..wonder why they never did a project together.

Sounds like the mic is right on Rourke and Johnny is playing his guitar in the bathroom.

Andy's bass is spectacular on this. It really sounds like he's slapping and popping, which I didn't know he ever did.. did he ever play without a pick in the Smiths?

Loads. One of my favourite finger bass lines is 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now', which would be impossible to play with a pick. Andy does some nice double note octave chords in there as well (under the 'people who I'd much rather kick in the eye' bits), which probably a lot of casual fans miss by focusing on the guitar. Johnny is amazing, for sure, but this is one of several songs where I think Andy's bass line outshines the main guitar riff.

http://youtu.be/SPg7C3I-4bo

Lest we forget, Andy also contributed great bass parts to some of the early solo songs also (e.g., "Interesting Drug," "Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference," "November Spawned a Monster," "He Knows I'd Love To See Him").

That fretless bass on 'He Knows I'd Love To See Him' *is* amazing - but from what I've read elsewhere apparently it's played by an uncreditaed session musician called
Danny Thompson - not Andy Rourke.

That fretless bass on 'He Knows I'd Love To See Him' *is* amazing - but from what I've read elsewhere apparently it's played by an uncreditaed session musician called
Danny Thompson - not Andy Rourke.

Tsk - you're right, per Goddard. Any road, the other ones Andy played were quite good.

Andy &Mike were the rythm team, especially in the beginning with live gigs

listen to early Smiths version of ' Barbarism.....'

'and they say he's mentall'...not the one with Pete Burns singing with Morrissey...[please]

Last edited:
It sounds like early Duran Duran. I kept singing the words to Girls on Film as it played. Nice.

Yes the bass is great, but so is the guitar. Just because the bass is a LOT higher in the mix, doesn't make it the best thing about the track.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom