Post Millennial: "Morrissey: How did the ultimate anti-establishment artist make it against all odds?" by Fiona Dodwell (October 17, 2020)

"We have become acclimatized to safe public figures who brand themselves as a commodity like a soft drink, palatable at first but devoid of any substantial nourishment."

FWD.

UPDATE Oct. 18:

Posted by Nerak:

It's now linked on Central.

With a Linder photo.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, those silly, silly Chinese. They should just give Moz a pass for one rude comment — you know, the one where he called them less than human.

That’s not the kind of thing you easily forgive and forget, Nerak. And it’s not just “one” rude comment — it’s a pattern of incendiary comments & lyrics, and support for a fascist political party. Plus, he just seems like such a self-righteous dick. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You wouldn't know a "fascist" political party if it bit you on the arse.

You can tell this 'thing' anything you want - it means nothing, they go their own crazy way, and there's nothing you, I or anyone else can do about it. Best thing to do is accept the idiocy, kick back, and relax.

Which is the exact approach we’ve all been forced to take with your daily excremental outpourings year after year, you blinkered parody of a fool.

Yeah, those silly, silly Chinese. They should just give Moz a pass for one rude comment — you know, the one where he called them less than human.

That’s not the kind of thing you easily forgive and forget, Nerak. And it’s not just “one” rude comment — it’s a pattern of incendiary comments & lyrics, and support for a fascist political party. Plus, he just seems like such a self-righteous dick. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Are you for real? I find it difficult to believe you sincerely care so much about this, you virtue-signalling, attention-seeking bore.

I also highly doubt that the people of China give two f***s what a British singer said regarding their countries treatment of animals; I’m certain they’re more concerned with how their government is treating them.

Are you for real? I find it difficult to believe you sincerely care so much about this, you virtue-signalling, attention-seeking bore.

I also highly doubt that the people of China give two f***s what a British singer said regarding their countries treatment of animals; I’m certain they’re more concerned with how their government is treating them.
2nd best post I've seen on here for a while. WB Snoddy. :thumb:

How do you know I'm not Asian, you small-minded, small dick turd? Tee hee! I can throw dumb insults, too! 🖕

As someone who has experienced racism firsthand and who lives in a country with a deep, dark legacy of systemic racism, I'm especially sensitized to this issue. But even if that weren't the case, we should all be outraged by -- and speak out against -- demeaning and dehumanizing racist rhetoric.

That said, I actually agree with you: I think 99.9% of the people of China don't give a single f**k about what Old Man Morrissey said. But for that 0.01% that do -- his teeny little fanbase there -- his words are hateful and hurtful. But this isn't just about them. This is about standing up to racist pricks and their toxic worldview.

I made the mistake of expecting more of Morrissey -- more empathy, more decency, more intelligence -- but that light has gone out.

Nerak, for the love of god is there any chance you could wind your neck in and give us a break. You chat on like Morrissey is your bestie. It’s tedious.

How many different ways can you write "He may be a racist, but I like him?". This is the journalistic equivalent of chopping out the words, throwing them in a bag, randomly pulling them out, and claiming it as a new article. Awful ego-polishing shite.
She is completely mad. I hope she gets help. Her and Karen.

I think 99.9% of the people of China don't give a single f**k about what Old Man Morrissey said. But for that 0.01% that do -- his teeny little fanbase there -- his words are hateful and hurtful. But this isn't just about them. This is about standing up to racist pricks and their toxic worldview.

I made the mistake of expecting more of Morrissey -- more empathy, more decency, more intelligence -- but that light has gone out.

But for that 0.01% that do -- his teeny little fanbase there -- his words are hateful and hurtful.”

So that 0.01% that are his ‘teeny little fanbase’ in China that are (according to you) ‘hurt’ by what he said in the Guardian interview still went to his show though?

Why would they do that?

But for that 0.01% that do -- his teeny little fanbase there -- his words are hateful and hurtful.”

So that 0.01% that are his ‘teeny little fanbase’ in China that are (according to you) ‘hurt’ by what he said in the Guardian interview still went to his show though?

Why would they do that?

For the same reason that I and others who criticize and hold his majesty accountable still attend gigs: Morrissey is more than just his stupid statements -- he's also an artist, and I very much enjoy (most) of the art. Doesn't necessarily make him a good or enlightened person. He just has a back catalogue that is pretty stellar, despite his warped personal views.

For the same reason that I and others who criticize and hold his majesty accountable still attend gigs: Morrissey is more than just his stupid statements -- he's also an artist, and I very much enjoy (most) of the art. Doesn't necessarily make him a good or enlightened person. He just has a back catalogue that is pretty stellar, despite his warped personal views.

So yes one can separate the art from the artist, but don’t you know that you’re still supporting the artist and in turn supporting his views by buying the albums and attending the shows ?

I mean, if I was hurt by what an artist said, I wouldn’t be supporting their views by supporting the artist.

So yes one can separate the art from the artist, but don’t you know that you’re still supporting the artist and in turn supporting his views by buying the albums and attending the shows ?

I mean, if I was hurt by what an artist said, I wouldn’t be supporting their views by supporting the artist.

You do you, boo.

How do you know I'm not Asian, you small-minded, small dick turd? Tee hee! I can throw dumb insults, too! 🖕

As someone who has experienced racism firsthand and who lives in a country with a deep, dark legacy of systemic racism, I'm especially sensitized to this issue. But even if that weren't the case, we should all be outraged by -- and speak out against -- demeaning and dehumanizing racist rhetoric.

That said, I actually agree with you: I think 99.9% of the people of China don't give a single f**k about what Old Man Morrissey said. But for that 0.01% that do -- his teeny little fanbase there -- his words are hateful and hurtful. But this isn't just about them. This is about standing up to racist pricks and their toxic worldview.

I bet not one single Chinese person has told you that Morrissey’s words offended them.

You recently joined this Morrissey fan-site. Why? You don’t seem to like him.

Do you really think you’re standing up to racism? Ha ha. Do you really think you’re making a difference by coming on here & arguing with fans of Morrissey? Poor deluded man.

I’ll say the same to you as I say to all others like you: if you really want to have an impact on racism then go to one of the many places in the world where slavery still exists and do something about it; popping up on here shining a spotlight on how non-racist you are is achieving absolutely nothing.

Sorry. What does that mean?

Seriously? You're not familiar with that expression or what it means? Okay, then... It simply means that you have free will and can make your own choices. If you decided you'd no longer listen to a particular artist's music on account of troubling statements they made, that's absolutely your right. But I don't imagine you'd impose that view on others -- and nor would I (however, I draw the line at tyrants like Trump -- f*** that guy and his supporters, ugh). At no time have I asked people to stop listening to The Smiths & Moz. Have at it! I sure am. But I am asking the Ultra Orthodox Moz Worshippers on here to take off their blinders and see the man for who he really is. There's nothing wrong with impugning your heroes -- especially those who have seemingly abandoned the values that so endeared us to them in the first place, as Morrissey has (in my view, at least).

Also, I feel compelled to point out that your record collection -- and for that matter, book collection and movie collection -- is likely rife with artists/writers/actors/directors who've either said or done despicable things. Ya gonna burn all those? Didn't think so.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom