Post Millennial: "Morrissey: How did the ultimate anti-establishment artist make it against all odds?" by Fiona Dodwell (October 17, 2020)

"We have become acclimatized to safe public figures who brand themselves as a commodity like a soft drink, palatable at first but devoid of any substantial nourishment."

FWD.

UPDATE Oct. 18:

Posted by Nerak:

It's now linked on Central.

With a Linder photo.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not offended because it means nothing, I don't harm or eat animals...no offence meant by the way!😘

Allow me to elaborate: You can't help but feel that Mandigo is a subspecies, by which is implied "less than human, a lower life form, backwards, primitive, and savage."

It only "means nothing" to you because you're either too thick to understand or actually support the "vile" things your idol says, to borrow a favorite term from the man himself.

I'm not offended because it means nothing, I don't harm or eat animals...no offence meant by the way!😘

So for the record, you'd be just fine with someone saying -- and with clear disgust -- that your mom is a subspecies? Do you think your mom would be fine with that? Or let's choose someone you love more than her. You'd be alright with someone saying that Morrissey is a subspecies? No offense taken, right? Harmless, innocent words, yeah?

So for the record, you'd be just fine with someone saying -- and with clear disgust -- that your mom is a subspecies? Do you think your mom would be fine with that? Or let's choose someone you love more than her. You'd be alright with someone saying that Morrissey is a subspecies? No offense taken, right? Harmless, innocent words, yeah?
Get a grip ya weirdo and stop talking out your sticky backside...no offence meant by the way 😛

Fine, with regard to his views on law not being applied evenly/fairly but what's all that got to do with his views on national identity and religion?

His only complaint about religion is that the law makes exemptions or might be lobbied by it - & that it scared him as a child & might make people feel bad about their sexuality.

It's the same argument we have over abortion laws or gay marriage - & the only demo we know for sure he went on was pro-choice.

As for National Identity - what he means is the pattern of life. That people are engaged with where they are, doing what they do, whoever they are.

And aren't convinced they're a suburb of silicon valley or a meaningless asset-stripped hinterland.

It wasn't literal & was directly related to film he'd watched of legal methods of animal slaughter in China.

I love China - but, the animal welfare laws really are horrendous & have caused a global pandemic - so it does need denounced - albeit less flamboyantly.

& I take it you approve of their government crushing dissent in Tibet, Hong Kong & Taiwan since you think objecting to a violent military occupation is racist...

As for National Identity - what he means is the pattern of life. That people are engaged with where they are, doing what they do, whoever they are.

We're lucky to have a Morrissey interpreter here, who's always so happy to unpack and interpret what the man actually means. Don't go forming your own opinions now, people!

It wasn't literal & was directly related to film he'd watched of legal methods of animal slaughter in China.

I love China - but, the animal welfare laws really are horrendous & have caused a global pandemic - so it does need denounced - albeit less flamboyantly.

& I take it you approve of their government crushing dissent in Tibet, Hong Kong & Taiwan since you think objecting to a violent military occupation is racist...

Calling someone an asshole doesn't mean you literally think they're an actual anus. Doesn't mean the word won't offend, though, does it? There is no context in which you can couch "the Chinese are a subspecies" that makes the statement inoffensive. There's just not. But the lot of you will bend over backwards with your mental gymnastics to try to find a way to dismiss the words as harmless -- and by doing so, perpetuate the bigotry that began with your hero.

And no, I don't support China's politics -- but I do see the Chinese people as fully human and will spit in the eye (again, not literally Nerak) of anyone who suggests otherwise.

Calling someone an asshole doesn't mean you literally think they're an actual anus. Doesn't mean the word won't offend, though, does it? There is no context in which you can couch "the Chinese are a subspecies" that makes the statement inoffensive. There's just not. But the lot of you will bend over backwards with your mental gymnastics to try to find a way to dismiss the words as harmless -- and by doing so, perpetuate the bigotry that began with your hero.

And no, I don't support China's politics -- but I do see the Chinese people as fully human and will spit in the eye (again, not literally Nerak) of anyone who suggests otherwise.

🤒

skinny everbody knows you view every crackpot with😍
why fill up the bandwith with yet another fake persona?😡

Did you mention Tiananmen Square anywhere?

Did you mention Tiananmen Square anywhere?

I didn't. I should. That was brutal.

Plus the government absolutely believes in a controlled censored national monoculture that intimidates its neighbours & minorities - they're building military bases next to Japan, Indonesia & The Philippines, they're using dam & mining projects to displace millions of people & intimidate downriver countries. They're the world's second largest economy & are forming a powerful Eastern bloc with India & Russia.

& Morrissey does want to play to the people there - he just can't get the right venue deal.

So imagine caring about one rude comment 10 years ago over all that - plus at the time a friend was trying to get The Guardian to cover a story about 300 factory workers shot dead when they went on strike in Beijing. Tumbleweed.

I've been listening to Norma Tanega a lot since Central posted about her - I think it's nice that they highlight half forgotten artists.

Also I didn't realise she was Dusty Springfield's girlfriend.

Like a moth to a flame, like a Morrissey to a lesbian.

The complaints have been in shoddy Western press articles.

Why don't you ask the people of Northern Ireland how they feel about you thinking it's racist to write about The Troubles?

View attachment 60184

Funny though.

He played Hong Kong in 2016, there may have been some Chinese people in attendance. They do have the internet there, so we could only assume that they understood quite well what Morrissey said in that interview and why he said it.

Whatever.

Let the haters hate, let the lovers love.

:cool:

His only complaint about religion is that the law makes exemptions or might be lobbied by it - & that it scared him as a child & might make people feel bad about their sexuality.

Fair enough, that sounds like a fair reflection of what Morrissey has said, and I've no issue with that.

Don't see this as being an adequate definition of national identity. That's individualism, not corporatism. If Morrissey was really pushed to it, I doubt he could come up with a convincing definition of 'Britishness' that wouldn't exclude a significant percentage of the population - that's the problem with nationalism, it's a vacuous concept.

Everything's a hate crime these days. That's just meaningless drivel in this fascist PC state.
Yes, add "hate crime" to your list of meaningless words. So there's "racist," "hate crime" and what else do you find meaningless when applied to you and your friends?

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom