Post Millennial: "Morrissey: How did the ultimate anti-establishment artist make it against all odds?" by Fiona Dodwell (October 17, 2020)

"We have become acclimatized to safe public figures who brand themselves as a commodity like a soft drink, palatable at first but devoid of any substantial nourishment."

FWD.

UPDATE Oct. 18:

Posted by Nerak:

It's now linked on Central.

With a Linder photo.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
"I've listened to Morrissey's music since the 1980s"

Then you've learned nothing.
Maybe time for you to just stop listening to Morrissey then we won't need to see you whining on here?

I don't think he is fine with Britain or 'British' including all creeds and colours at all - quite the opposite. I agree he has an outlook that everywhere is becoming generic, and I think he feels that that is a consequence of its becoming increasingly politically incorrect to express a strong sense of national identity. I think he sees the drive to represent all creeds and cultures contained within the British Isles as being representative of 'Britishness' as diluting Britain's sense of its national identity to the point where it is all things to all people and nothing in essence.

No - that's not what he's said. He thinks life has become generic because of pop culture & recently he's started to worry about the law not being evenly applied & religious conflict. So - basically that we need common ground to function & that every place should have its own vibe... it's nothing that's not talked about on the left.

🙄

He's an animal liberationist - he genuinely believes animal lives are equal to human lives. He was not dismissing people being murdered. He was saying animals are also murdered. At a gig. It was the crass articles that caused the hurt.

And he wasn't attacking refugees - he was saying the policy had caused problems. Which it did - the EU negotiated a deal with Turkey to stem the flow a year later.

It was the articles that caused the hurt, by just repeating what he actually said. That is ridiculous! It is perfect Morrissey-style to blame others for someone HE did or said! No-one said that the refugee-policy would not generate ANY problem, but to call Berlin the rape capital is just silly and is applauded by those who have always had prejudices anyway. There are many people from Syria who have risked their lives to get away from Assad (who Morrissey hates) and who have learned German and tried hard to adapt our culture. It is no wonder people call Morrissey racist, although what he says is sometimes just silly. It is like he is asking for it, but he should not complain. When you walk through the rain you may get wet, it is as easy as that. It is hard for me to say that, as I used to be a sweet (fan-) boy!

I wanted tosay "for SOMETHING he actually said", not someone... Sorry

It's Henge - & how can he like the art if he's decided the songs he doesn't understand are racist because he read it?
Yes, the author seems to be re-engaging with songs through a media created lens.

And what do you say to the Asians, be they Chinese or Bengali, who take offense to Morrissey's statements & lyrics, and who feel hurt by them? I suppose you invalidate their feelings and tell them they're all wrong? That they simply don't understand the profundity of Morrissey? 🖕
Yes. They don’t understand Morrissey.

But the people apparently injured by Morrissey seem to be hurt on the behalf of others. That’s post-colonialism’s legacy, in action. Awful stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the articles that caused the hurt, by just repeating what he actually said. That is ridiculous! It is perfect Morrissey-style to blame others for someone HE did or said! No-one said that the refugee-policy would not generate ANY problem, but to call Berlin the rape capital is just silly and is applauded by those who have always had prejudices anyway. There are many people from Syria who have risked their lives to get away from Assad (who Morrissey hates) and who have learned German and tried hard to adapt our culture. It is no wonder people call Morrissey racist, although what he says is sometimes just silly. It is like he is asking for it, but he should not complain. When you walk through the rain you may get wet, it is as easy as that. It is hard for me to say that, as I used to be a sweet (fan-) boy!

They didn't repeat what he actually said - they paraphrased & editorialised.

You could fact check him on the stats - but it wasn't the point he was making - the journalist highlighted it to be sensationalist.

You could fact check him on the stats - but it wasn't the point he was making - the journalist highlighted it to be sensationalist.
I’m seeing what you mean: people start with the headline rather than the song(s). It really is getting like McCarthyism.

And what do you say to the Asians, be they Chinese or Bengali, who take offense to Morrissey's statements & lyrics, and who feel hurt by them? I suppose you invalidate their feelings and tell them they're all wrong? That they simply don't understand the profundity of Morrissey? 🖕

The complaints have been in shoddy Western press articles.

Why don't you ask the people of Northern Ireland how they feel about you thinking it's racist to write about The Troubles?

770230e7ea8a87058ce7a5192baf0ed0.jpg

The complaints have been in shoddy Western press articles.

Why don't you ask the people of Northern Ireland how they feel about you thinking it's racist to write about The Troubles?

The complaints have been from the mouths of Asians incensed by Morrissey's ignorant rhetoric. Or would they be a "shoddy" source, too?

As always, you mean. Seriously? So, as it is always claimed: the press is out to get him, the innocent saint? When he wrote "Suffer little children" , I liked the idea of a content in a song that is touching a completely unusual subject matter, but he did it with empathy then!!! It is a waste of time. If he was misunderstood, he could have reacted, but not doing it is considered rightous, so he does not care that much, does he? I listened to the SPIEGEL audio-file and still he pleaded for being misquoted (he could very easily set the record straight). I know, paraphrased and editorialised..... like when he talked to Larry King? I also read his Autobiography and there is always someone else to blame for WHATEVER happens. YAAAAAAAAWN! Melody-wise and lyric-wise he has given the world more than other people and despite his boring complaints: the world DID listen!

This is the sort of brainwashed "thinking" that gets racist autocrats elected... and exposes apologists like you as gullible and naive.
This is how it starts: unable to touch Morrissey it’s the fans you turn on now. And what then, when you still feel frustrated because people continue to enjoy Morrissey’s work? Start making lists of names?

I witnessed your arrival here, and I’ve seen you get more and more poisonous over the months.

You wont change Morrissey, but you can change yourself. It’s not too late.

I’m off to listen to World Peace, and it’s none of your business.

...there is always someone else to blame for WHATEVER happens.

He's just like Cheeto-in-Chief Donald in that way. Reminds me quite a bit of that guy, actually. Praised and admired by supporters for being "outspoken" and for "telling it like it is." Always "misquoted," everyone's always "out to get him," the press is "unfair," credible reporting on anything the least bit critical is "fake news," everything is always someone else's fault, supports a far-right agenda... It's getting hard to tell the two apart.

As always, you mean. Seriously? So, as it is always claimed: the press is out to get him, the innocent saint? When he wrote "Suffer little children" , I liked the idea of a content in a song that is touching a completely unusual subject matter, but he did it with empathy then!!! It is a waste of time. If he was misunderstood, he could have reacted, but not doing it is considered rightous, so he does not care that much, does he? I listened to the SPIEGEL audio-file and still he pleaded for being misquoted (he could very easily set the record straight). I know, paraphrased and editorialised..... like when he talked to Larry King? I also read his Autobiography and there is always someone else to blame for WHATEVER happens. YAAAAAAAAWN! Melody-wise and lyric-wise he has given the world more than other people and despite his boring complaints: the world DID listen!

You didn't listen to the audio well enough - the press does continually take a phrase & spin it to get controversy.

Taking jokes literally, making throwaway comments emphatic statements, saying that he has outbursts when he's engaged in a quiet conversation, leaving out their leading questions & comments, changing the meaning, making connections that aren't there, adding assumptions...

He whinges sometimes - but he's harder on himself.

He still has empathy.

A lot more than his detractors seem to have.

This is how it starts: unable to touch Morrissey it’s the fans you turn on now. And what then, when you still feel frustrated because people continue to enjoy Morrissey’s work? Start making lists of names?

I witnessed your arrival here, and I’ve seen you get more and more poisonous over the months.

Unable to "touch Morrissey?" 😂 I've no interest in touching someone who's clearly a little touched and so out of touch.

You accuse me of "making a list of names" and then go on to write "I witnessed your arrival here, and I’ve seen you get more and more poisonous over the months."

Here's the Wiki article on projection -- you might want to read it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

"I’m off to listen to World Peace, and it’s none of your business." 😂 Okay then, petulant child. Go enjoy and forget about us nasty old meanies! Hmph! 👶🏻

Last edited:

If he's against brainwashing maybe he should try thinking.

You didn't listen to the audio well enough - the press does continually take a phrase & spin it to get controversy.

Taking jokes literally, making throwaway comments emphatic statements, saying that he has outbursts when he's engaged in a quiet conversation, leaving out their leading questions & comments, changing the meaning, making connections that aren't there, adding assumptions...

He whinges sometimes - but he's harder on himself.

He still has empathy.

A lot more than his detractors seem to have.

To paraphrase Trump, Morrissey "could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody" and Nerak would still be right there to clear his name, ever the ardent apostle. You put the "fan" into "fanaticism."

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom