Post Millennial: "Morrissey: How did the ultimate anti-establishment artist make it against all odds?" by Fiona Dodwell (October 17, 2020)

"We have become acclimatized to safe public figures who brand themselves as a commodity like a soft drink, palatable at first but devoid of any substantial nourishment."

FWD.

UPDATE Oct. 18:

Posted by Nerak:

It's now linked on Central.

With a Linder photo.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny Marr has indeed been very successful. Just this year he's played on a UK No. 1 single, appeared on the Brits and worked on the new James Bond soundtrack.

He's also seen as an elder statesman of rock'n'roll, regularly being quoted on music, politics in music, the arts and creativity. That should have been Morrissey, but it's not.
If you seriously think Morrissey isn’t regularly quoted and referred to in the arts, you’re as daft as you seem. Jesus wept.

Johnny Marr has indeed been very successful. Just this year he's played on a UK No. 1 single, appeared on the Brits and worked on the new James Bond soundtrack.

He's also seen as an elder statesman of rock'n'roll, regularly being quoted on music, politics in music, the arts and creativity. That should have been Morrissey, but it's not.
It's completely the other way round, Morrissey is all over the areas you mention and has been for decades whereas Marr is the one who is 'circling the circumference'. You obviously follow Marr's career but not Morrissey's.

Pretty sure his next album will also chart higher and sell more in the UK than Morrissey's next offering will.

Pretty sure his next album will also chart higher and sell more in the UK than Morrissey's next offering will.
I like Johnny & he can play the guitar standing on his head but his album's are just too patchy overall, I really wish he could release an album that was consistent from start to finish. Too many instantly forgettable tracks all over his albums.

Yes, it is the same. The idea of physical races is a later meaning. It means group. The Irish are very often referred to as a race so it's a natural word for him to have picked up.

View attachment 60157

Okay, fair enough, and Morrissey is probably right by either definition - whether cultural/social/whatever or genetic, most people probably do prefer what they think is their own 'race'. But the above definition just emphasises how virtually meaningless the term 'race' is anyway. 'British' by the above definition is a term that encompasses all creeds and colours, which I doubt is what Morrissey believes it should signify. But if he was inclined to speak in terms of 'black' and 'white' people, those too are terms so broad as to be meaningless. Sure, they are useful shorthand for debates around prejudice in regard to skin tone, but I think they actually reinforce such prejudice by legitimising lazy/dismissive inclinations to view all darker skin tones, for example, as being the same and signifying a common origin/identity. We need to do away with the terms 'race' and 'black' and 'white' and find a whole new vocabulary for debating these kinds of social issues. Maybe if such a vocabulary was coined, then Morrissey's views wouldn't seem so extreme or irrational, or maybe on the other hand, if he was called on to express his views in less vague terms, they could be more accurately challenged and rebutted.

:sleeping:

and sat like a twat watching kylie minogue perform some drivel,is that how far hes fallen,an industry guitar for hire.and as for bond,having listened to the gun barrel sequence you might struggle to hear much of marrs work in the final score.

:thumb:

It's completely the other way round, Morrissey is all over the areas you mention and has been for decades whereas Marr is the one who is 'circling the circumference'. You obviously follow Marr's career but not Morrissey's.

:thumb:

doh: :sleeping:

As if album sales are the measure of an artists genius and importance.

doh: :sleeping:

As if album sales are the measure of an artists genius and importance.
Marr's last album achieved massively higher critical acclaim than Morrissey's too. 78/100 compared with Dog on a Chain's 62.
He's out performing Morrissey in pretty much every area - sales, airplay, critical acclaim, size of fanbase.
It's incredible, really, that the guitarist from the Smiths is now a more successful singer than the singer from the Smiths.

and sat like a twat watching kylie minogue perform some drivel,is that how far hes fallen,an industry guitar for hire.and as for bond,having listened to the gun barrel sequence you might struggle to hear much of marrs work in the final score.
Jesus Gordy, I couldn’t believe it: ‘Let’s get Marr to do the Bond theme... oh, and bring the brass to the front and drop the Vic Flick guitar part’. For the love of God, what the fcuk were they thinking?

That said, a friend I spoke to feels that it’s an error so glaring that it’s sure to be fixed by the end of the film. I don’t share his confidence.

Come on, he's obsessed with chart placings and therefore sales.

Nostalgia.

And he may be interested in sales, as any artist would, we all have to eat.

But he knows it doesn’t really matter.

I mean, If the failure of not selling billions, record after record, year after year after year, IF it was really so important to him, then he would have stopped making records years ago.

:LOL:

LOL no more :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: sucky albums thats it.:clapping:
many years since that sorry comet album, why you aks? because
the wigged wanker has been dropped and nobody wants his sucko
hello hello hi hi music. a random dork on the street can write that type
of sucky music.
Doviđenja, maybe the :rat: can take the dork back:lbf:

And I bring the paper in later.

:crazy:

only skinny prefers hanging out at the mosque:turban: reading the dumb koran FFS, velcro is 'too busy' with the thesis and radish busy avoiding work.:mad:
im betting the thesis will be done before the next LePew album:lbf:

Nostalgia.

And he may be interested in sales, as any artist would, we all have to eat.

But he knows it doesn’t really matter.

I mean, If the failure of not selling billions, record after record, year after year after year, IF it was really so important to him, then he would have stopped making records years ago.

Yet he shouts out loud when he gets to number 2 in Poland or number 1 in Scotland.

Yet he shouts out loud when he gets to number 2 in Poland or number 1 in Scotland.

a joke, a dig at the record company.

Anyway. I repeat ....

If the failure of not selling billions, record after record, year after year after year, IF it was really so important to him, then he would have stopped making records years ago.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom