plugging the leaks

As i said before the impact of the leak is hard to measure but it makes sense that it is damaging - if only to the momentum - the gathering of pace - the subtle anticipation - the diehards will always buy the album - but they are not enough - the casual listener must be inspired.

the casual listener probably doesn't post here and wouldn't realize it leaked anyway.

Everybody seems to be pointing the finger at everybody else.

On the dylan site things are done differently - those who could took steps to prevent the distribution of leaks

it is possible for morrissey-solo to remove links (real or false) and not to promote them.

I don't think its alot to ask

and i think its worth considering

Yes, you pointed the finger at this site, and then admitted that you downloaded but don't want others to do so. This site has problems but it is the place to come for Morrissey news.

It's irrelevant how things are done at another site.

You're a good guy but you don't really make a case for what you want.

As i said before the impact of the leak is hard to measure but it makes sense that it is damaging - if only to the momentum - the gathering of pace - the subtle anticipation - the diehards will always buy the album - but they are not enough - the casual listener must be inspired.

What I did protest was all the people posting negative reviews and acting like these reviews actually reflected on the quality of the record. I also wrote that people downloading the music and then writing that they were disappointed were unfairly harming the records chances. Those people should have kept their opinions to themselves I think. Many Morrissey fans seem to think that they prove what a fan they are by talking about how he used to be so much better. The album turned out to be generally well-received by the fans, as far as I am aware.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, what i got from this thread is that smiler works for Morrissey :eek:
good for you dude :thumb: and yeah, i agree, leaks are bad
i would never do that and people who do that sort of thing should be punished by whoever they work for
they are to blame for the leaks and no one else, not a single person that gets a copy of leaked album has done anything wrong as i see it :straightface:
except for the people who leaked it in the first place, who we can assume had access of some kind and how many people can that be? :confused:
it is they have broken their word and are "the leak" :crazy:

Exactly:guitar:
nugz, once again saying it as it is:cool:

Jukebox Jury

I meant that the rush and push of the diehards - their clamer for the record on the day of its release may prick the ears of the casual listern

The excitment grows from the fanbase to the world but if the fanbase are not excited then....

I think its time that this site and the moderators took some responsibility and did something to prevent future morrissey album leaks (hopefully there will be some?)

I am talking specifically about new albums here - I don't really have a problem with sharing files that have already been released.

However leaking a new album early seems to me to have a massive effect on the impact and success of an album and its chart placing

Both of Morrissey recent albums (of new material) leaked months before release

I think Morrissey and the record company also need to take note:

Look how bob dylan promoted his new album

No offical word of an up coming release at all right up until the last minute- not from the artist himself or the offical website.

No use of the internet for news updates - noone even knew he was in the studio - the internet was a terrible source of solid information - just the usual vague rumours and debate - but they didn't kill the rumour by drowning it in offical fact - they let it fester

Early special listening sessions were arranged with handpicked critics which gave them a great secret scoop - unsurpisingly all the reviews said the same thing -"There is a new album!!!! - ive heard it !!!!- its great!!!!!"

Those early reviews that just appeared in the press (without fanfare) were the first trusty worthy sources of information that a new album actually even existed - the offical site said nothing

Of course all the Dylan message boards went crazy

But tellingly the Dylan album didn't leak at all - probably because only a handful of people knew it even exited a few weeks before it was offically released.

However in the week before the release the main unoffical website banned even talking about the possibility of a leak - anyone who mentioned the word was bullied off the site.

All promotion happen via the printed media and amounted to - one long and very good relaxed indepth interview (handpicked interviewer) covering all the topics people wanted to hear about. This was then split into 4 parts and given out in sequence to four news papers round the world a week at a time.
They were immediately scanned by fans onto internet forums and disscussed endlessly -everyone excitedly waiting for the next installment next week.

The interview was only offically release to the internet via the offical site a week after publication (they were scanned on by fans onto the unoffical site about 10 minutes after publication)

In the days before the release 30 second sound clips were made available on the internet to listen to a section of each song on the new album

Again the Dylan forums went crazy

The first single from the Dylan album was the strongest track (the video by the way was a series of simple back and white still 50's photos)

The result was a number one album in uk and us - personally the album is yet to grow on me

Compare this to the recent morrissey release:

We all knew Morrissey was in the studio - When the album was complete - the titles of the songs - who wrote what - what the covers looked like - the lyrics and then finally over a month before offical release the album was everywhere - even available on several non-morrissey music forums i visit.

Clearly I should take some responsibilty as i did download the listen to the leak - I didn't however share the link or the album with anybody.

Several months before YOR was released i'd heard most of it (on previous albums or live)

Over a month before YOR was released i'd heard it all due to finding a link to a leak on Morrissey-solo - it was on the front page

I think that did have massive damage to the impact of the album - I personally was less excited by release day.

Isn't it time we all took responsibility and stopped the leaks? - Morrissey included and the record company

But shouldn't this site specifically and its moderators take some responsibily for there parts played and take steps to actively prevent leaks rather than publisize/promote them?

who is with me?

I completely agree with you, but as others have pointed out, you invalidated your own argument by downloading the leaked copy in advance.

Yes, you pointed the finger at this site, and then admitted that you downloaded but don't want others to do so. This site has problems but it is the place to come for Morrissey news.

It's irrelevant how things are done at another site.

You're a good guy but you don't really make a case for what you want.

What I did protest was all the people posting negative reviews and acting like these reviews actually reflected on the quality of the record. I also wrote that people downloading the music and then writing that they were disappointed were unfairly harming the records chances. Those people should have kept their opinions to themselves I think. Many Morrissey fans seem to think that they prove what a fan they are by talking about how he used to be so much better. The album turned out to be generally well-received by the fans, as far as I am aware.

You all present a strange argument - you can see the damaging effect leaks can have

You accept that Solo actively promoted the leak (by highlighing it on the frontpage as "News")

You accept that Solo is a major source of Morrissey news - and as such was probably a major source of the leak spreading it quicker and further than any other site - the great jaffa cake pusher.

You understand that other unofficial wesites for artists take steps to aviod the spread of links by not promoting them on their sites - they don't seem to consider leaks to be front page news -

But you think thats irrelevant? - why? it doesn't have to be irrelevant

You all seem to get wrapped up in internet politcs, procedure phony philosophy and guidelines

Is a leak front page news? - isn't that an aggressive stance for a fan website? - it doesn't have to be like that you know - it isn't elsewhere

Yeah I agree that downloading the album is about personal responsibility - to say because i downloaded the album i can't make a suggestion for the future is to miss the point - if enough people want to come here for news but don't want to be tempted then...

So if downloading the leak is about personal responsibility then isn't distrubuting that link in a fan site community (by calling it news)- isn't that about collective responsibilty?

Maybe i am the only one who feels this way - I like this site alot but I think a subtle change like that is within reach and would make a big difference.

Is it too much to ask?

Maybe leaks have not effect? - very debatable

Can't we consider a change of policy:

The Dylan site had a simple sticky post that stated:

"ABSOLUTELY NO links to the album are allowed on the forums.
Also, do NOT advertise that you are giving away the album. If you have a pre-release copy, feel free to state that, but do not say "send me a PM for your own copy". That is not cool.

Failure to adhere to this policy is subject to disciplinary measures, up to and including banishment. Please dont do it. Thanks"

The mods enforced that - simple as that.

So what is so wrong with that?

Maybe it wouldn't work here? - only one way to find out?

I do not frequent other music sites but am often curious to know if there is a difference in how they are run. I think that if the change you proposed, smiler, plus one or two other steps reflecting, through minor limits placed on what is acceptable behaviour, the original intent, i.e maintaining a fan site for the artist currently known as Morrissey, were introduced here, most people would be more than happy to comply, and mutual respect would most probably be re-established.

I saw Bob Dylan in the O2 arena in Dublin this past Wednesday. Of course he is a singer/songwriter folk legend, and he plugs away drawing from his multi-branched musical tree for about two hours. Where live stage presence is concerned though, and interaction with the audience, Morrissey eclipses him without a struggle. This characteristic of Morrissey’s to turn his concerts into intense musical conversations means that even if nobody was promoting him in the media, people would still welcome his appearances with ardour and conviction – and with love. Why risk being a contributory cause to that reduced scenario though?

I don't think it's the site's job to try to limit leaks. They will happen no matter what.

I did think it was a bit much when (around the time of ROTT) the owner of this site was asked to take off links by Morrissey's legal team he published the correspondence he received in a news item as if he was being harassed. It seemed fair enough to me.

Its not the sites job - but it could be their conviction - it doesn't even really take alot of effort

Have you actually read the site administrator's statement which I posted in page 1?

bored also eloquently explained David's view regarding the subject after your initial post.

Have you actually read the site administrator's statement which I posted in page 1?

bored also eloquently explained David's view regarding the subject after your initial post.

I understand it - but i think it should change

Is a leak front page news? - isn't that an aggressive stance for a fan website? - it doesn't have to be like that you know - it isn't elsewhere

I have to agree with you there; that was a bit out of line.

All the obsessives knew about the leak from the forums, and downloaded (or abstained) accordingly, but that front page story was news to the more casual browser.

It's not only hard cores who visit Solo (especially the front page). There are other bands I love whose websites I visit occasionally, especially when there is a new album or tour brewing. I often don't bother with their forums, but I do read their news boards. If there were a leak, I wouldn't know about it unless it was posted as news.

I have to agree with you there; that was a bit out of line.

All the obsessives knew about the leak from the forums, and downloaded (or abstained) accordingly, but that front page story was news to the more casual browser.

It's not only hard cores who visit Solo (especially the front page). There are other bands I love whose websites I visit occasionally, especially when there is a new album or tour brewing. I often don't bother with their forums, but I do read their news boards. If there were a leak, I wouldn't know about it unless it was posted as news.

Finally someone who agrees with me!

So Kewpie - I'm interested to see what you think (and not what the guide lines say) - isn't a change worth considering next time? (if there is to be a next time?)

Finally someone who agrees with me!

So Kewpie - I'm interested to see what you think (and not what the guide lines say) - isn't a change worth considering next time? (if there is to be a next time?)

Hmmmm, I'm not in a position to influence or persuade David.

The secret of success of the site is to share information as soon as someone reported it.

It's all up to each user whether download a leaked album or not.

Hmmmm, I'm not in a position to influence or persuade David.

The secret of success of the site is to share information as soon as someone reported it.

It's all up to each user whether download a leaked album or not.

I never said you were in a position to influence or persuade David.

but if enough of us made our feelings clear....

I just wondered what you think - why not share what you think?

Yes its up to the user whether they download a leaked album or not - but do you think that link should be brought to attention of the casual user on the main page?

I agree with the sentiments of the original poster.

However, for me the reason why YOR hasn't taken the world by storm is because its a weak album, promoted by weak singles.

I know many people here really like the album, and I'm delighted for them if that's the case. But for me where Morrissey is right now was summed up by the BBC radio gig around the time of release - the difference in quality between This Charming Man and ...Paris straight after it was staggering.

I agree with the sentiments of the original poster.

However, for me the reason why YOR hasn't taken the world by storm is because its a weak album, promoted by weak singles.

I know many people here really like the album, and I'm delighted for them if that's the case. But for me where Morrissey is right now was summed up by the BBC radio gig around the time of release - the difference in quality between This Charming Man and ...Paris straight after it was staggering.

thats debatable - the new Dylan album is not Blood on the Tracks - and Beyond Here Lies Nothing is not Like A Rolling Stone - yet the album is number one all over the world.

thats debatable - the new Dylan album is not Blood on the Tracks - and Beyond Here Lies Nothing is not Like A Rolling Stone - yet the album is number one all over the world.

Maurice E pointed out earlier in other thread that sadly Morrissey's international artist profile is sliding.

In Japan birth rate is declining which also one of factors heavily affects on whole entertainment industry.

Tags
dylan is alive no one cares
Back
Top Bottom