plugging the leaks

I think you are mixing up the ideas of censorship, the examples you give are not really meaningful. I would not post Morrissey's phone number and yes, mods do remove spam and personal info posted by abusers but they do not remove content.

I understand what you are saying, the openness of some policies on the site, on the surface, may be viewed as damaging. I personally disagree.

No, I do not know for certain what the labels thought about the leaks as no one contacted me about them. As you may recall, the files were not actually on the site, just links to them. Maybe the labels found the links and asked them to be removed at the source. Either way, the site is the messenger, don't shoot or otherwise try to suppress it.

If you personally disagree then that up to you - its your site after all - and i repect that - but i would ask you to reconsider.

it a subtle issue - dependent on your definition of certain words - words that are open to interpretation - censorship - responsibilty - news - content

You say "I would not post Morrissey's phone number"

But would links to his personal information (e.g.Morrissey's phone number) be removed from the site? Or would these links be treated as "content" or even "news" and be publisied on the front page? - the files themselves would not have be the on this site just the links to the illegal material - in the same way as an album leak - again you would be just the messinger - but would you act differently? - is there a type of information that would make you act differently - if so what and why?

What is clear is that the Dylan site model appears to work with regard to this issue and it is not damaging to anyone, users, owners, moderators the site itself or the artist - can you say the same for your current stance?

Yours is a political decision

perhaps you could consult the users on the issue if there is another release? -i did in the end begin to gather some support for a change.

Last edited:
is it required that davidt needs to justify his view and the place this site holds in acting as an information outlet?

to say that is damaging, you have to prove that the leak and the leak alone did indeed damage record sales. you then need to prove that those who did download the record would not have heard about it if it were not for this website. and that therefore this website is in a direct causal relationship with the decline in sales.

you seem to be have the misunderstanding that this site is a democracy. when you start funding the site, then you can have a direct effect in the decisions it makes. until then, there is always the site suggestions forum.

The problem is that its very hard to prove these things one way or the other - its all debatable - it doesn't mean you can't do things differently - it seem to work over at the Dylan site.

I realise that the site is not a democracy and i think its better off for it.

I did however consider it to be a community of sorts - perhaps i was wrong.

sure it is hard to prove but what has happened now is that this thread has become repetitive. you have raised an issue, various people have responded, some in the affirmative, some in the negative. the owner and ultimate decision maker has made clear his feelings on the matter, you continue to pursue your opinion. you keep mentioning the dylan site, yes i understand, as a marker to measure against this site. however, this is not the dylan site, all sites are not created equal. they do not all adhere to a common set of guidelines. you believe decisions that have been made to be unfair. ok. hold that opinion. it's your right. but now it is time to move on.

this is a community, insofar as that this is a virtual place where a social group who share a common interest congregate. it's not a co-op, it doesn't have a board of directors, nor does it claim membership fees. this is david's house. we are all visitors here.

Hi jeane

Whats the matter you seem uptight? - seems to me this thread has come along way - why stop the debate now - its a forum

I'd welcome more opinions and personal views - from moderators for example

I am repectful of Davids personal views and decision - i just ask that he reconsiders.

I thank him for taking the time to reply to me -

but i was interested by what appeared to potentionally be a contradiction in his reasoning -

If links to private information would not be put on the front page why would album leaks? - what is the difference?

So perhaps you need to "move on" jeane - before you arrived it was just getting interesting here.

but i was interested by what appeared to potentionally be a contradiction in his reasoning -

If links to private information would not be put on the front page why would album leaks? - what is the difference?

There is a difference between actual content and a link. I meant private info posted on the site would be removed. If someone posted a link to such information on another site, that would not necessarily be removed.

I have taken your suggestions in mind as I do all suggestions. The Dylan site is different as Jeane mentioned. They may have other motives such as a good relationship with the official site / artist and want to maintain that.

I agree with jeane.

Smiler argues like a lawyer. Interesting points undermined by patronising delivery and preoccupation with provoking those in "Authority".

(seperate paragraphs, (to avoid confusion))

There is a difference between actual content and a link. I meant private info posted on the site would be removed. If someone posted a link to such information on another site, that would not necessarily be removed.

I have taken your suggestions in mind as I do all suggestions. The Dylan site is different as Jeane mentioned. They may have other motives such as a good relationship with the official site / artist and want to maintain that.

Thanks David.

One final thing i am interested by your different approach to "actual content" and links.

So am i right to assume that if i posted morrissey's phone number directly on the forum that number would be removed

But if i posted a link to another page to, for example a "mega-upload" page with a downloadable file containing morrissey's (or a solo user's even) phone numbers, this link would not be removed and may infact be put on the front page?

Is that right?

By the way don't think the dylan site has any contact with bob or his people - the place is full of rumour debate and critisim just like any other site - it definately isn't a puppet or a lap dog.

Last edited:
Tags
dylan is alive no one cares
Back
Top Bottom